Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2013, 10:42   #196
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

WW i understand the weather and sea are fickle. i just watched the full vid by those people, they made FL in 5 days. outside, and with a storm.
i have given no solid word to any marina yet, so i may just do the jaunt to Jacksonville, stay a month, then move on to the keys for a few weeks, then to Tampa so we can spend a few days at Busch Gardens. but if we can make it in 5, or even 8 days, we will stay outside. just need to find some good seasick pills.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:44   #197

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Problem with seasick pills is most of them will also make you sleepy.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:47   #198
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
WW i understand the weather and sea are fickle. i just watched the full vid by those people, they made FL in 5 days. outside, and with a storm.
i have given no solid word to any marina yet, so i may just do the jaunt to Jacksonville, stay a month, then move on to the keys for a few weeks, then to Tampa so we can spend a few days at Busch Gardens. but if we can make it in 5, or even 8 days, we will stay outside. just need to find some good seasick pills.
Ginger Biscuits...
Barley Sugars... are good for the trip as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:53   #199

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Ginger Biscuits...
I'm between jobs and just had some barley sugar for lunch!!!
Old 24-09-2013, 10:55   #200
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Problem with seasick pills is most of them will also make you sleepy.
did not know that. i do not get seasick. they would be for her, and maybe me when i get time in the bunk.

the other option i just though of is to break up the trip down. 3 days out, 2 days to recover, before we finish the trip.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:57   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ginger Biscuits...

yum, i have not had ginger bread men(american version) in years!
we have something better then barley sugars, maple sugar candy!
Old 24-09-2013, 11:09   #202

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

I get generic Bonine from Drugstore.com for $5.99 for 100 chewables. It doesn't seem to make us sleepy.

That video would be for me not too comfortable but certainly not the worst. Now take those waves on the nose and you've got a little bit of a different story. Add in heeling at 45 degrees with bare poles and now I'm ready to go home.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:40   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I take Bonine before starting an ocean passage. Begin taking it two days before you start, this way you adjust to any minor drowsiness, studies indicate that it is more effective if started early, and you make sure there will be no adverse reactions. I find Bonine to be fairly free of side-effects. Non-Drowsy Dramamine is the same stuff as Bonine, but I use Bonine because of the placebo effect -- it's worked for me before. Regular Dramamine makes most people sleepy.

Ginger also seems to help. I like candied ginger anyway, so I often bring that to snack on. On some trips my first couple of meals are nothing but candied ginger, saltine crackers and Gatorade.

Seasickness can be a terrible problem, and most people experience it to some degree. There must be hundreds of discussions about it here -- search them out and read up.

For what it's worth, many of my crew / passengers are just fine when sailing in San Francisco bay, but once we go beyond the Golden Gate Bridge the swells kick in and many of them start turning green. As soon as we're back in the bay they're fine again. Sometimes I'm just fine from the start of a passage, and other times, I get sick for a day or two (unless I've taken my Bonine). Even with Bonine, I may feel "off" for a few days, but at least I can function without suffering from dry-heaves.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 24-09-2013, 13:36   #204
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I take Bonine before starting an ocean passage. Begin taking it two days before you start, this way you adjust to any minor drowsiness, studies indicate that it is more effective if started early, and you make sure there will be no adverse reactions. I find Bonine to be fairly free of side-effects. Non-Drowsy Dramamine is the same stuff as Bonine, but I use Bonine because of the placebo effect -- it's worked for me before. Regular Dramamine makes most people sleepy.

Ginger also seems to help. I like candied ginger anyway, so I often bring that to snack on. On some trips my first couple of meals are nothing but candied ginger, saltine crackers and Gatorade.

Seasickness can be a terrible problem, and most people experience it to some degree. There must be hundreds of discussions about it here -- search them out and read up.

For what it's worth, many of my crew / passengers are just fine when sailing in San Francisco bay, but once we go beyond the Golden Gate Bridge the swells kick in and many of them start turning green. As soon as we're back in the bay they're fine again. Sometimes I'm just fine from the start of a passage, and other times, I get sick for a day or two (unless I've taken my Bonine). Even with Bonine, I may feel "off" for a few days, but at least I can function without suffering from dry-heaves.

thats good to know. never would have thought to start it early.
i got sick one time, on a 300' cruise ship.
just the way it was rolling so slow, i just felt dizzy thou.
any special reason you only eat those foods for the first few days?
Old 24-09-2013, 15:49   #205

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Sea sickness usually passes for many people, once you get used to being on the boat for a day or two.
I have gotten some after storms when there were huge sea swells. It was worse when I was down below for a while... Either fixing food or looking for something....sort of like reading in a car going around lots of curves.

I tried sea sickness pills once made me sicker....only time in ever threw up from it and it was on a power boat!

Mine goes away after the first few hours and then does not return the rest of the trip. But after several days on the boat when I get off I feel like I am still moving for at least 24 hours.
Old 24-09-2013, 16:13   #206
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There's only one blanket statement that applies to seasick meds and that's the conclusions NASA made about "motion sickness" after exhaustive studies:

About 1/3 of the meds will work for about 1/3 of the people about 1/3 of the time.

If you want better odds than that, you need to start early, spend 48 hours with the med of your choice, and see IF it has any value for you. If that doesn't work you give your system at least 48 hours to purge that one, then move on to the next one. Nei-Kwan bands, electric band, otc drugs or rx or folk, they all work about 1/3 of the time for 1/3 of the people.

The only proven cure for motion sickness is to go hug a tree.
Old 24-09-2013, 16:35   #207

Its going to take you 6 weeks no matter what you do----Your 1 month late leaving Nov1st---Leave Oct 1st equals far better weather. Once Daylite savings goes away you only make 60mper day in ditch... Best go outside but you don't have crew for it passing Norfolk outside you should be 350 miles out---then home in on "hens and Chickens" at NO end Grand Bahama Island Otherwise stream stops you --Then don't tack for West Palm Beach till you see Great Isaac Light or you go backward-------------Good Luck!
Old 24-09-2013, 16:45   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
its more to prevent vermin, and to keep them for crossings.
i like crackers lol.
we have a ton of storage space, and i will be filling it when we hit the south pacific. if i start building my stores now, it will be less last minute work i do before we take off.
A ketch is a race boat"?? must be quite older=====
Old 24-09-2013, 16:54   #209
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post

A ketch is a race boat"?? must be quite older=====

i say this because it has participated in races, and has won.
long island to Bahama is the one that comes to mind initially.
the deck is made to be safe in a storm, or far out at sea, being a low wind design.
it also has more sail area then a sloop. 150% genoa, plus 12X45 main and 10X45 mizzen and a staysail. in the hands of a real pro, it will fly. i myself have had it over 6MPH in an 8 knot wind.

with just two up...
Old 24-09-2013, 18:02   #210

It is a cool looking boaty-first one Ive ever seen and that windshield will be a plus on your trip--whichever way you go My Scooby--good Luck and leave soon--- real soon---
Closed Thread