Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:19   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Transit time? NY-FL

One more battery question: Did you use terminals on the battery cables? I don't see any; it looks like the cables might have been tinned and clamped under the washers at the battery screw-posts. If so, that's not a very good method. Over time the cables will compress and the connections will loosen and corrode. Also, you should protect the battery cables from chafe where they run over the lip of the battery box.

About the inversion, if you are ocean sailing you really want to consider this. The odds are low, but the potential damage is significant. Your battery box looks securely glassed to the hull, so the battery restraint could be as simple as a line lashed through holes drilled in the sides of the box.

I'm not saying that you need to do all of this right now before heading out, but it should be on your to-do list.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 10-11-2013, 10:57   #347
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Yes, i compressed the tinned wire under the washer.
We ran out of time. On the switch end they all have proper sweged terminals
Old 10-11-2013, 11:14   #348
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, it should work long enough to get you to the point where you can improve things.

At that point, look at your fusing. You should have a big fuse within a certain (short) distance from the battery. There are differing opinions concerning if and how to fuse the starter. There are rules about this stuff, and even if you don't legally need to comply with them, they remain a good idea.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30   #349
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

All will be repaired before we round the horn in 2015.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:56   #350
Eternal Member

Those wing nuts on the battery are a no-no. Replace with proper s/s nut and tighten.

Also, I hope you don't have the battery cable(s) sandwiched between s/s washers. That, too, is a no-no. ...s/s has a much higher resistance to DC current than does copper or lead. S/S washers are OK to press a copper conductor against a copper or lead electrical source, but not to go in between the source and the conductor.

Putting on a proper lug takes only minutes. Maybe you can borrow a cable crimper, or maybe you have a Nicopress tool aboard which can serve in a pinch?

Bill
Old 10-11-2013, 12:29   #351

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Well Scooby, I probably wouldn't be doing what you are,but,you have a nice looking boat and I hope all goes well for you while you get it fully sorted out. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:32   #352

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Best advice I can give you is to try to do things right the first time around. Sometimes we get in such a rush and put things together with the thought of it being temporary....but one thing leads to another and before you know it enough time as passed for the temporary fix to cause a major problem. This always results in a much more expensive fix the next time around.

Maybe as you are cruising down the Hudson....you can make some stops and pick up the stuff you need to get the battery done right. Use active captain or GPS to locate a nearby shop that has what you need. Doing in right will save you time later.

best of luck to you and your crew! have a good trip!
Old 10-11-2013, 13:21   #353

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater917 View Post
You're leaving today from NY? Where they have a gale warning up for this afternoon? Every time I see a news clip or blog post about a sailor in trouble I presume it's you and come check this thread to see if I'm right or not.
I'm on Long Island and it's been looking like it's snowing with leaves!! Blizzard-like leaves! Definitely decent wind today!
Old 10-11-2013, 13:23   #354

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Scoot, My first voyage was down the Chesapeake, 15-25 gusts to 30, 5' seas, at night. After we got into Salt ponds and were safe we had two thoughts. 1. We should have been killed, and 2. It was a nice trip. COLD but nice.
Old 10-11-2013, 14:19   #355

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Here's a post from Maine Cruising, a well respected poster on this site and others on using SS washers on batteries.

Battery Meltdown Averted Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

There are things on boats you can cheat on, battery connections are not one of them.
Old 10-11-2013, 15:21   #356

Boat: PETERSON 44
On the coastal side you can get into atlantic city from. Sandy hook. . Weather forecasts are not good enough 5 days out. Cape may or harbor of refuge until the next jump. Jersey shore can be a nasty thing. Get good weather or get off that coast. I suggest good weather and short jump to AC until you are set up and have some experience.
You might do better going up the jersey and down the chessie. Leave that open as a option.
If you make it near Annapolis I will crimp your batt terminals and give you some straps . Easy stuff and it makes batts a lot safer. Just tell me what gauge wire you have. Also good fun jumping down the chessie. Great sailing. Going off shore first go around commits you. Maybe your up for it but your untried. Leave open a option and pick weather. Go pull the slots in atlantic city .Then cape may. After that you have options. Enjoy the trip .
Old 10-11-2013, 16:30   #357

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Have a great trip Scoobert. I look forward to your progress reports.
Old 10-11-2013, 16:56   #358
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Godspeed and good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 17:07   #359

I think scoobert is just pulling everyone's chain. Such hubris is worthy of the Titanic's owners. What on earth could go wrong? My boat is unsinkable, isn't it? He can't be serious.
Old 10-11-2013, 17:39   #360
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I tend to concur; I know when I was getting ready to make a passage I didn't have nearly that much time to be online as he seems to be (and it isn't my first rodeo…)
guess we'll find out soon...
Closed Thread