Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 12:40   #76

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I hate to sugest some folks here are idiots...... but

really!

You're a pack of crack-pots and I'm not sailing with any of you! Or if I do it will be 200 meters behind you

I seariously doubt they want you with anyway pbbbbbbth! :-P
Old 09-11-2010, 14:20   #77

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
Do you do that with just your lips, or do you have to use your tongue to get it really right???

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 14:27   #78

Boat: Bristol 34
Neptune has a particular affinity for everything I own.

1). Wife's Kitchen Aid blender. Dove for it, washed, dried and oiled - still works and has been named "The USB Nautilus" (Unsinkable Blender).

2). Motorola Tundra cellphone (brand new). Why dive when it had insurance? Transimitted a signal for hours underwater.

3). Sailrite sewing machine in cheap plastic case. Handle of said cheap plastic case broke as I was stepping off the dock. Dove for it, cleaned oiled and it works fine. Named the "USSM Neptune" and bought the proper case for it.

Tools, sunglasses, hats, nuts, bolts, etc. that have gone overboard seem insignifigant given my history of offering high dollar items to the seven seas.

Bought 500 feet of parachute cord and now everything on the boat has a lanyard on it - even the sewing machine.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 16:07   #79

wow this thread is a real bargin...I seem to be the only one with a clean record haha...granted my boat is still on its cradle

so I wont be buying sun-glasses,winch handle and just about everything els, will invest on a mask and cruise the bottom of every marina I visite, change my boats name to Jobi's parts and service, comme and see me soon.;0)
cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 16:43   #80

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Myself, once. It hurt.

Stupidest thing I've seen more than once: Powerboaters at boat ramp. Skipper is on boat as he backs away from the trailer. Then realizes he has the truck keys. And his friend on the ramp with the car does not. Skipper throws keys. Skipper's arm or aim isn't as strong as it used to be.... splash.
Old 09-11-2010, 17:43   #81

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
lost my pretty Wichard fid, my small curved, serrated survival knife and my leatherman all in one swell foop. Very exciting...
Augh!!!!

That would send me to find a magnet.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 17:54   #82

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
For many things I would never part with my oversize magnet on a long line - but another use is to find out what things are really stainless steel and which things are not.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 18:17   #83

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
Musta been my mind buying a large Sailing Yacht couse normaly I am quite a sane and resonable Person.
Old 09-11-2010, 21:02   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Do you do that with just your lips, or do you have to use your tongue to get it really right???
Hmmmm . . . . . .
Try it!
Old 09-11-2010, 21:06   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
Neptune has a particular affinity for everything I own.

1). Wife's Kitchen Aid blender. Dove for it, washed, dried and oiled - still works and has been named "The USB Nautilus" (Unsinkable Blender).

2). Motorola Tundra cellphone (brand new). Why dive when it had insurance? Transimitted a signal for hours underwater.

3). Sailrite sewing machine in cheap plastic case. Handle of said cheap plastic case broke as I was stepping off the dock. Dove for it, cleaned oiled and it works fine. Named the "USSM Neptune" and bought the proper case for it.

Tools, sunglasses, hats, nuts, bolts, etc. that have gone overboard seem insignifigant given my history of offering high dollar items to the seven seas.

Bought 500 feet of parachute cord and now everything on the boat has a lanyard on it - even the sewing machine.
You go!
Got to admire that southern spirit and ingenuity. Oil is a universal cure-all. That is why in the south we fry everything.
Old 09-11-2010, 22:20   #86
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
might want to invest in a dry suit, too

My dignity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
wow this thread is a real bargin...I seem to be the only one with a clean record haha...granted my boat is still on its cradle

so I wont be buying sun-glasses,winch handle and just about everything els, will invest on a mask and cruise the bottom of every marina I visite, change my boats name to Jobi's parts and service, comme and see me soon.;0)
cheers
As I sit here unable to dive due to a nagging ear infection I got from diving in our local harbor here recently, I suggest that this may not be the most cost effective means of equipment aquisition, depending on your level of health insurance. The real stupidity of the situation is that I have a fully encapsulated dive suit with full face mask and comms, we just decided not to use them in the interest of expediency.

I also once made the mistake of diving under the marina at 22nd Street in San Pedro. We were waiting to head out on a dive charter trip, and had been eating and drinking in the restaurant there, when one guy decides to go treasure hunting for boat gear under the slips. We couldn't in good conscious let him dive alone, especially after a few drinks, so in the rest of us went. (You know that question your parents always ask, the one about "If Johnny jumps off a cliff, are you going to jump too?" I always thought the correct answer was, "Of course I'm going to jump too, I'm no sissy!")

On topic, the most recent thing I've lost overboard was another winch handle. Trying to flip a loop of sheet over the handle to put in the self tailer, a combination of wind and bad timing flipped the thing right out of the socket. We were heeled at a ludicrous angle, and it went directly downward into the drink. Bummer.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 22:38   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
My dignity?

As I sit here unable to dive due to a nagging ear infection I got from diving in our local harbor here recently, I suggest that this may not be the most cost effective means of equipment aquisition, depending on your level of health insurance. The real stupidity of the situation is that I have a fully encapsulated dive suit with full face mask and comms, we just decided not to use them in the interest of expediency.

JRM
I hope your ear is better soon. You reminded of soemthing else I lost overboard ... me. I've told the story before but to reiterate, I was climbing into a kayak with a brew or two in me and over I went. I was at a marina where my sailboat was tied up at. My first thought was "Keep your mouth closed and get out quick".

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 22:41   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
My dignity?

I also once made the mistake of diving under the marina at 22nd Street in San Pedro. We were waiting to head out on a dive charter trip, and had been eating and drinking in the restaurant there, when one guy decides to go treasure hunting for boat gear under the slips. We couldn't in good conscious let him dive alone, especially after a few drinks, so in the rest of us went. (You know that question your parents always ask, the one about "If Johnny jumps off a cliff, are you going to jump too?" I always thought the correct answer was, "Of course I'm going to jump too, I'm no sissy!")

On topic, the most recent thing I've lost overboard was another winch handle. Trying to flip a loop of sheet over the handle to put in the self tailer, a combination of wind and bad timing flipped the thing right out of the socket. We were heeled at a ludicrous angle, and it went directly downward into the drink. Bummer.

JRM
sorry about your ear infection...nothing I can do about, however about johnny jumps off the cliff...you did the right thing. remember Normandie stupid or not men stuc together nevertheless...your that kind of men and id jump of the cliff with you anytime...but you go first ok?

siriously the only reson id probably dive inn a slip would be to help others, anything id drop overboard myself would be forgoten as it hits the water...unless it floats

c.ant belive how much stuff peapoles lose
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 00:24   #89

Boat: Irwin 43-Stella Polare
Sometimes what you lose overboard is a key memory of the cruise.

BC Canada: outboard motor
Columbia river: Wifes wedding ring, camera, at least one example of every tool
Under the Golden Gate bridge: watch, prescription glasses
Channel Islands: Whisker pole (shouldn't they float?)
Ensenada: (censored)

The ex wife kept swimming back
wereboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56   #90
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
I've put Rover88 on the list too for the sowing machine and the blended and Wereboat for the wifes wedding ring!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard