Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 06:33   #16

Re: The big step: getting work after completion of courses

My apology for being harsh. Do not anyone ever take away your enthusiasm, even if they 'merely' say you are too enthusiastic.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 06:40   #17

Joesph, I take it you are in Socal. Perhaps try to get into the rotation for deckhands on the party boats. I think they still operate out of Kings Harbor and certainly San Pedro. Further south I would try Newport.

A rotation would allow part time employment so school can be your primary goal. Careful not to get sucked into working too much while in school.

The party boat skippers are generally laid back and may very well include old oil rig supply boat skips and the like. IOW, you would learn a ton with the righ captain.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:26   #18

All good Richard, yeah im not in socal right now but am planning on going back shortly. Thanks a lot for the info, Ive been offered a few other things in that area that im keen to check out. Just gotta work some more and im there. Cheers!
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:43   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't know where ya are, but down here in Louisiana we have serveral both private and Collage courses for both Captain, and engineers! most of the Grauates go to work in the Oil offshore and inshore. These courses are not cheap, but ya get a Lic. if ya pass and every one Ive spoken to has found imployment almost right away !! Now this is not a 1 or2 week course, and requires a bunch of work ! but you are a Real Lic. capt, or enginneer when ya finish! Just a thought !
Old 22-08-2012, 12:55   #20

Re: The Big Step - Getting Work After Completion of Courses

Thanks Bob, could be an option
Old 27-08-2012, 21:48   #21

I agree with Charles F Cook. Look for tall boats in your area. In the great Soviet of Washington you could google the Hawaiian Chieftain or the Lady Washington. You can sign up as a volunteer and go from there...good luck!
Captain Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 00:55   #22

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Joseph

I am not sure what your ambitions are... It sounds like you want to find a way to travel and surf... What type of boats are you looking to work on and what position do ultimately want to work?

You understand that most crew jobs are very long hours, normally for 3-6 months at a time, with very little time off?

Since you have limitied expereince, this makes find paying jobs very difficult. Don't get me wrong education is good, but experience is also important.

ASA classes are not generally recognised in the commercial maritime industry. You should start looking at USCG, Yacht Master or MCA requirements for certifications and licensing and work toward one or more of these.

As far as jobs, the 20 meter or larger sailboats tend to hire professional crew with lots of experience. Anyone above a ordinary seaman (Deckhand) usually carries some type of license or certification. Smaller boats tend to stick with volunteer crew, which normally do not require licensing or certifications.

There are several tall ships that would hire a novice, but understand they are hard work, cramped living conditions and very low pay.

One quick option is to look for a delivery skipper and see if you can sign on to get some sea miles under your belt. This is very low paying, but you would rack up miles and experience in a very short amount of time.

Good luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 01:40   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Joseph,

Taking sailing course is great - and you do learn a lot. But all the theory needs to be tempered with experience. And the experience needs to come under widely varied circumstances.

JUst so you know where I am coming from - I am a Yachtmaster Ocean, have a motormans certificate and an LRC and the highest rating possible in first aid. To top that off I am a trained diver and used to have my license as a white water rafting guide (out of date now- been too many years). My day job is as the Cruising Guru for the Danish Sailing Association (Danish equivalent of the Royal Yachting Association).

Would I be able to get a job on various boats? I suspect so, I do have the qualifications and a hell of a lot of experience - but basically they would probably hire me because I happen to be a great cook who incidentally happens to know how to sail. Being able to cook at sea frequently gets you a job - but you have to be good-

If I had a delivery, I probably would hesitate to take you on, since you would not be able to stand a watch by yourself. Despite your enthusiasm. Get a berth on a tall ship - then you'll find out if you get seasick and you'll learn a hell of a lot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 06:43   #24

Thanks for the replies.

Getting experience is all I want. I dont know how else everyone else has done it. The original reason for my post was how long does it take to be employed. I wasn't claiming to own the scene in 3 months because I would have such and such course done, but I understand your responses. It is the same in other things, like surfing. If for example someone new proudly claims to have surfed some semi-secret wave that I have myself given so much in for years and years, I tend to somehow wanna let them know their place loud and clear. Just looking for hints because I am a starter and curious. Who isn't at one point. I am interested in the advice and reality checks. When I entered my first massage class, I didnt know sh»*t. Some time later I was doing well with it and enjoyed it a lot.

I am aware of many realities of this subject. I have been awfully seasick, and I have had amazing trips in big seas, just not on sailboats yet. I love the ocean. Who knows, maybe I'll hate sailing? That would surprise and sadden me, but I dont think so..I actually have had some sailing done at summer camp in lasers when younger and remember the rush and fullfillment. And it has been 16 years that I have waited to do this. Instead I travelled by plane, always thinking about it, feeling guilty. Now is the time!

I planned to go to the California Sailing academy in November for 4 levels of sailing instruction, including a lot of water time. There certainly is navigation learning throughout. I am in touch with the people there and it seems like a good place. From there I will see what other important introductory courses I need to take. Not just to put the chances on my side, but to actually learn. I give myself the whole winter (November - April) to find my way on boats of all kinds, wherever that will be, the local club or some remote location for what I will see as opportunity to expose myself to sailing. I expect to have to share costs. I expect to sleep less and work hard long hours, no pay. Of course.

Powerboats are also of interest. So, exposing myself to all kinds of embarcations, conditions, locations and people are what im available for now.
Old 28-08-2012, 06:49   #25

As for positions, only time will tell what I enjoy most, lets see how things go in November. The more time i search, the more stuff i find about it. I just finished a big book, complete about sailing, but in french, i ordered one in english but i never received it...need to familiarize myself with the english terms..pretty upset to be limited here, but in 3 weeks i move on closer to more resources. Im confident though, its all good. Thanks for the encouraging good lucks.