Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 04:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 303
'Texas Man Making Dangerous Voyage to Site of '67 Israeli Attack on the USS Liberty!'

"Texas man making dangerous voyage to site of 1967 Israeli attack on the USS Liberty!" Dangerous Voyage To Site of Israeli Attack on USS Liberty | Veterans Today

Larry Toenjes, 74, from Clear Lake Shores, Texas, is sailing his 39-foot sailboat, the s/v Liberty, to the coordinates of the June 8, 1967 Israeli attack on the USS Liberty that killed 34 sailors and wounded another 173. 207 were killed or wounded out of the 294 on board the USS Liberty in the 90 minute attack by strafing attack planes and torpedoes. At the site, Toenjes will be holding a memorial service honoring those killed on the USS Liberty by the Israeli military.

WOW! Hey, if he can do 7,000 miles at 74 years old, there's hope for me yet. Although his journey is based on sad events, I hope Larry can celebrate his accomplishment when he returns safely to port.
Old 17-08-2011, 04:21   #2

Boat: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa
Re: "Texas man making dangerous voyage to site of 1967 Israeli attack on the USS Libe

Hmm. I was on that ship at that time. Not a place to which I would voluntarily return.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 04:32   #3

Re: "Texas man making dangerous voyage to site of 1967 Israeli attack on the USS Libe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Hmm. I was on that ship at that time. Not a place to which I would voluntarily return.
WOW! That must have been something - and I don't believe you guys were even offered an apology! Well, Dr. Toenjes represents all the brave men who were slaughtered AND who were fortunate enough to survive that scandalous day! Neither our government nor Israel has ever made this right, but you are all still heroes!

Thank you for your service,
Jack
Old 17-08-2011, 05:29   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

When we pulled our SV Liberty into a marina in Clear Lake Shores last July for a several month marina stay, by complete coincidence we ended up bow to bow with Larry's SV Liberty. We met while each doing boat projects, and we discussed his plans. The thing that amazes me most is to learn, from this post, that he is 74 years old! In all our many meetings on the dock and at West Marine while parts-chasing, I never would have guessed he was older than early 60s or so. He impressed me as someone who has what it takes to carry out this mission. I haven't read the linked article yet, but I do hope he got away from Texas soon enough (we left in March) to get across the Atlantic safely.

All the best to you, Larry.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:20   #5

Re: 'Texas Man Making Dangerous Voyage to Site of '67 Israeli Attack on the USS Liber

Larry,

Apparently, he's made it to Malta so far! Quite an amazing guy. I hope to be able to sail well into my 70s, and he's an inspiration.
Old 17-08-2011, 20:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: 'Texas Man Making Dangerous Voyage to Site of '67 Israeli Attack on the USS Liber

dwhatty, Thank you so much for your service to our country.
Old 18-08-2011, 09:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
You were on the USS Liberty? So was I.

You may be interested in knowing that a lot of people are involved in an effort to ensure Larry's trip to the coordinates of the attack are peaceful and that he can hold the memorial service honoring our 34 fallen shipmates in the solemn and respectful atmosphere that normally accompanies memorial services.

Warmest regards,

Joe Meadors
USS Liberty Survivor
President, USS Liberty Veterans Association
Email: joe*at*ussliberty*dot*com
Bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 14:58   #8

I have literally known Larry all of my life. His parents were good friends with my parents and it does not surprise me he would make this journey. His is a wonderful man who learned to love the water from his father, who built boats. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
swissfinn1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 15:21   #9

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Thanks veprjack for this newsthread.
Good luck and godspeed to Larry.
Thanks to all you guys who served!
Old 19-08-2011, 17:23   #10

swiss - WOW - small world! He must be an exceptional guy to have achieved all that he has; it would seem that some of the best is yet to come for him! What a great "RETIREMENT" lol...

Category - you're welcome. It is shameful that the brave men of USS Liberty will never be recognized for their service or sacrifice. It's up to us to spread their story, and Larry's feat, I guess. Our government and the media won't touch this story with a ten foot pole - especially during an election "season". Wouldn't want to embarrass some powerful puppet masters just to honor our dead or celebrate Larry's triumph! It's a national disgrace!

Tags
texas