Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16   #1

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tax Advice Needed - Sailing Advice Given

A big thank you to all who have responded to questions over the last year. We sailed Tattoo from Deale, MD to Chester NS and the only problem we had was in Little Egg Harbour NJ. The charts are wrong and the sand shifts on you and there are green flies that bite and hurt. Stay away use moorings at Atlantic City instead!

Also once I reached Canda I was hit with a tax bill which hurt. In the US the boat would be taxed on the final payment since I am buying it over three years as it is a boat which was donated to a charity. The final payment is 45000 and the lease states this is the payment not final. However, in Canada they insisted on charging for all the payments we had bought all the upgrades we had made. Thus the tax bill was 13,500 since the boats' total value was 85,000. They told me I could appeal it. Has anyone been through this process before. I don't mind paying taxes but hope to pay the lower amount. Thanks.
mparent is offline   Reply With Quote