Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:29   #1
cruiser

EUREKA!! (but advice needed)

Well, sometimes people are pretty stupid. Take us for instance. We bought a boat, did a huge refit ($23K and over 9mos of our lives) and now can't afford to cruise internationally with her. Ultimately, we have arrived at the conclusion that we will never be able to do so. A bit sad...

However, we love living on boats and cruising in general, even if confined financially to the USA.

To that end, we are continuing to look for boats... any opinions on the Morgans from the 70's? Aside from the Out Island, which I unfortunately have to consider, has anyone heard anything about the Starret-Jenks models?

Also, any suggestions on large, roomy coastal cruisers (or blue water) that have at least around a 20K displacement and cost under $50K (well under! ha ha ha)?

Of course, I've been Yachtworlding and Googling, but I am asking on here in order to see what real people who are often at real marinas might know about. Of course... a link is always great too. Never know what I might have missed.

PS: The boats we are trying to find should be able to last at least 40-50 years from today, when my wife will be 67 to 77 yrs old. Thanks for any input!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some Morgan 38's:
1979 Brewer ~ $52,000 1979 Morgan 382 sailboat for sale in Florida
1979 Brewer~ $48,000 Morgan 1979 Boat For Sale
1984 Brewer ~ $ 44,900 Morgan 384 1984 Boat For Sale
1978 Brewer ~ $34,900 Morgan 382 1978 Boat For Sale
1971 Charlie ~ $29,500 Sailnet Classifieds - 1971 Charlie Morgan 38' Sloop - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
1972 Charlie ~ cheap 1972 Morgan 38 for sale

I’ve worked on the Brewer-designed Morgan 382's, and thought them a well-found boat, for the era.
There have been 3 different Morgan 38 variants:
1. The fin-keel/centreboard Charilie Morgan was in production from 1969 through 1971.
2. The Ted Brewer designed M-282 had a long fin keel with a skeg-mounted rudder, and were built between 1977 and 1981. In 1982, Morgan made some changes to the rig and rudder, calling the modified boat the M-383. The M-384, with further enhancements, followed a year later.
3. Catalina Yachts acquired Morgan and during the 1990s produced yet another M-38, this one a center-cockpit, fin keel-spade rudder design.
Goto MORGAN-38 HOMEPAGE: Morgan 38 Owners Board

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:18   #3
cruiser

Those are decent, Gord. I have to come up to speed a little bit on these boats, but I will put them in the list. Thanks.

Also, any hearsay on the Cheoy Lee by Ray Richards or the even more sluggish Globe yachts?

I'm poking around at the bottom of the barrel and all the boats need tremendous work, but at least I would be working for the boat rather than the bank.

Thanks to anyone leaving input on these or other vessels.
Old 07-04-2007, 13:42   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Sean

"ssullivan has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

I was going to send you a PM, but............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 15:18   #5

Sean, pardon my asking, but is it that you need a smaller boat than you have now because of the expense of upkeep?
Old 07-04-2007, 15:35   #6
cruiser

Hi Jeff,

I've been very transparent on this forum in general, so why stop?

No, the upkeep on the 45' boat we have now is no problem at all because I do every single thing myself. Sure, the odd large ticket items you end up having to pay for can pack a punch, but the killer is not the upkeep.

It's the loan. The interest, etc...

(clearing out my inbox... the moderator status used to allow a hefty inbox, but that's no more. I have to remember to do that from time to time.)
Old 08-04-2007, 03:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheoy Lee Offshore 41 by Raymond H. Richards

Practical Sailor on the CL/Richards Offshore 41:
Cheoy Lee Offshore 41

3 Different CL 41's:
Sailing Vessel "Astraea"

Old 08-04-2007, 07:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From our very own Sonny, 1973 Pearson P-36 for sale asking $40,000
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sale-7681.html

Old 08-04-2007, 08:32   #9

I think that you should give serious consideration to ferro boats. Regardless of what some people (who, funnily enough, never seemed to have owned one) say about them, when they are properly built they are great boats.

The one below is a prime example, but beware, the listing broker is slime (which may be part of the reason it hasn't sold).

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31   #10

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Sailormann - are you Canadian? - Toronto area? I keep my boat at Toronto Island.

Sean Try looking at the Irwin 37 like mine - there were 800 built and some folks think they were not built well - problem is many were not maintained well - my boat is a 1976 - no blisters - so hull is built well, but things to look for are areas of deck delamination due to fittings not rebedded regularly - rigging is good - Perkins 4-108 which you like and a very roomy and comfortably boat. There are some good ones out there in your price range - you can contact me direct if you want any more info.

Regards, Randy
Old 08-04-2007, 12:33   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sean,
I've had experience sailing on the Cheoy Lee Offshore 41. A good performer. Of all the boats mentioned so far the Cheoy Lee, if in good condition, is a better choice.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:59   #12

Quote:
Sailormann - are you Canadian? - Toronto area? I keep my boat at Toronto Island.
Guilty as charged... We just got a new (to us) boat for this spring (had a few prior to this) and we'll be sailing out of Bronte Harbour.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 13:41   #13

Boat: Morgan OI 414
You say aside from the Morgan 41, so you don't like OutIsland Morgan 41's? I happen to own one and it is a great boat and it is rigged out for cruising with all the comforts of home. It's a 1975 414 model, the heavily built one. I like to be very comfortable onboard my boat and yes it may not be as fast as some of the other cruisers out there but I would rather have large, wide and heavy duty. My boat likes 15 to 40 knot winds, when other boats are seeking safty from weather, thats when my boat shines. The best thing about my boat is it is 100% paid for and I have a brand spanking new Yanmar sitting in it and all the stuff including AC, genererator,water maker, hot water,inverter,solar panels,wind generator,auto pilot,swim platform,max feathering prop, many sails and much much more. I did all the work myself. Good luck selling your boat and buying another, I really hope it works out for you. I worked many years buying my boat and outfitting it like I want it and I still don't have it to where I feel it is finished, there is always something else I want to do to it, it's never ending.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 15:58   #14
cruiser

Inthewind: I haven't ruled out anything yet. I was just hoping to find a vessel that would sail reasonably well to weather. Sorry for any insult. It wasn't intended. In fact, I mention them in particular since I am considering them.

Just got back from looking at the Cheoy Lee. It had soft spots on the hull by the bow, a munched up keel and a deck that was very "squishy" in quite a few areas. Massive water intrusion. Also, there was oil dripping out of the stuffing box and the rudder had a lot of play. Not quite what we're looking for in terms of a fixer upper. We are looking more for a quality hull with a demolished interior.

Does anyone know much about replating steel boats below the waterline and such? Costs to do so with a 40' boat, given maybe a dozen holes? I would of course learn and weld myself. It's one we are considering as well.

Thanks to everyone so far who has voiced advice. I really appreciate it. It is great to have a few more ideas kicking around. Ferro is a maybe, but I'm actually trying to head for steel - and not succeeding.
Old 08-04-2007, 18:56   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sean, Steel to repair is not that easy, nor that cheap. And learning to weld is not so simple. I would stay away from steel if it is in that kinda shape. It will be an ongoing nightmare and proper remedy is difficult and expensive.
You are also making the right decision on the CheoyLee. If it is in that state, you are going to spend big money doing a proper repair.
IMO, your thoughts are leading you to end up taking a step backwards in quality of boat and still end with the same debt, or making the project such that you're not getting out on the water for many years. Your already on the water, you just need to get going.
So you have debt. Well there must be some otherways, surely. You need to sit down and think harder and look at finding a determined way through and out, not a retreat. Mate, don't give up now. You've got an excellent vessel. Find away to keep it.
Also remember, the US is expensive to live on a boat in. So get out of there. Find somewhere you can work and earn and not have the costs.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote