Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 19:39   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Taking videos - sound problem

Most of the video editing programes should be able to take sound out yust a they can add music but you would have to run through an editing program.

the standard edit programes in windows and the mac should do it.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:10   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
the standard edit programes in windows and the mac should do it.
I have XP.

Is it in here somewhere?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:16   #18

Boat: Tartan 30

With a basic point and shoot camera like you have, you simply can't point the mic into the wind. That is the best you can do.

The silicone sleeve may be causing turbulence as well... Try taking the case off, and keep the wind at your back at all times. Then report back

Nevermind all the crazy microphone talk...

If you must point towards the wind (to get those feisty dolphins in the shot) then you will probably need to, at least, learn how to put music to your videos and forget about the sound in the shot. (you can do that with youtube, I think..)
Old 23-03-2011, 20:20   #19

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
I use a mixture of narrative post recorded audio on my cam with live recorded audio. I discard as much nasty live audio as I can and replace with music and narrative voice over. I kept just enough live audio to try and give a feel for the day.

I am only using Kodak Playsport for video and audio. Don't want to drag much more gear on the boat with me. Certainly can't sail and mange a acm and a separate mic for recording when shooting everything as a one man show.

Have a look at how I'm trying to blend both types of audio in my productions, http://withsailsunfurled.com/?p=357

It's nice to use the best gear you can, but sometimes you have to use what is also most practical and make it work in the editing.

On a Mac iMovie and Final Cut Express are great for beginners, and Final Cut Pro is excellent for anyone with a real passion for creating videos for mass consumption.
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:21   #20

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy
With a basic point and shoot camera like you have, you simply can't point the mic into the wind. That is the best you can do.

The silicone sleeve may be causing turbulence as well... Try taking the case off, and keep the wind at your back at all times. Then report back

Nevermind all the crazy microphone talk...

If you must point towards the wind (to get those feisty dolphins in the shot) then you will probably need to, at least, learn how to put music to your videos and forget about the sound in the shot. (you can do that with youtube, I think..)
Well said callmecrazy. Well said.
Old 23-03-2011, 20:22   #21

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I have XP.

Is it in here somewhere?
Windows Movie Maker

If its not on your computer you can download it from Microsoft
Old 23-03-2011, 20:54   #22

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Taking videos - Thread drift warning (temporary)

While there is a meeting of tekheads going on, any brief comments on the Canon EOS 550D for its video capability?

Apologies to Therapy... I owe you a beer.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 22:23   #23

I don't know about the 550 but the T2i is gorgeous. The only downside I know of to the dslr lines are an inability to record longer than 10-20 minutes at a time.

WithSailsUnfurled.com - The Adventure of a Lifetime Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Old 23-03-2011, 22:50   #24

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
I don't know about the 550 but the T2i is gorgeous. The only downside I know of to the dslr lines are an inability to record longer than 10-20 minutes at a time.

WithSailsUnfurled.com - The Adventure of a Lifetime Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Is that 10-20 mins due to battery life?
With the bigger memory card the store guy said the 550D could get about 12-16 hours.

I'm an IT disaster zone, so I may have things confused... but th EOS 550D is marketed as the Rebel in USA, and Kiss in Japan. I vaguely remember hearing T2i may have been an earlier model.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 22:55   #25

No it's nit the battery life. You can get loads of time on those cards. But it's in takes of 10-20 minutes.

This as I understand it is a heat issue on the processors. They start to overheat and the recording stops.

It's my understanding that all dslrs do this. Though the record length varies per camera.

Basically you have to restart the record every 10-20 minutes. No hour long straight recordings.

But the picture quality on these cams can't really be beat.

Old 23-03-2011, 23:40   #26

Quote:
Edit? What is that?

YouTube has some stuff right? Don't know how to use it.

I have three videos on YouTube so far. Actually one because two are the one cut in two pieces.
Lol this is why I enjoy meeting guys like you! Yea, technology is a pain in the ass and I'm working my way out of it for a reason.

Ok, in your circumstances I'd just say on the YouTube page to turn the volume off on your computer. Hey man, people appreciate that

Cheers!
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 23:55   #27

Re: Taking videos - Thread drift warning (temporary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
While there is a meeting of tekheads going on, any brief comments on the Canon EOS 550D for its video capability?

Apologies to Therapy... I owe you a beer.

Vic
That cam is more capable of making great footage than you are, sorry, no disrespect meant but seriously the camera is better than most people will ever get out of it. Yes, I know you can buy a more expensive cam (like a 5d) but those people are what I call measurbeaters, all they care about is pixels and not learning how to use it. The OP's cam ($299) could be used for a travel channel show if it was shot well and he learned how to edit combined with external audio and recorders.

I could go on all day about how rich cruisers buy expensive cameras and gear then I see a kid with a $199 cam kick their asses and make an amazing fun video.

Learn post production (to the OP) that's where the creativity is at now since anyone can buy a camera that takes acceptable video, the eye will forgive a bad image before the ear will forgive bad audio as you have just found out...
Old 24-03-2011, 00:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Is that 10-20 mins due to battery life?
With the bigger memory card the store guy said the 550D could get about 12-16 hours.

I'm an IT disaster zone, so I may have things confused... but th EOS 550D is marketed as the Rebel in USA, and Kiss in Japan. I vaguely remember hearing T2i may have been an earlier model.
The t3i has been out now for a while, it has a few upgrade from the t2i but nothing I would waste my money on upgrading for. The best upgrade for your 550 is a nice piece of glass that can be used on a future camera, now all the pro's buy high quality glass and swap out cam bodies, high quality glass holds it's value, the digital camera bodies don't. eBay ha deals all the time, if your savvy you can buy a nice piece of glass used, then use it for 5 years and sell it for what you paid, you can never do that with a digital camera body.
Old 24-03-2011, 00:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
No it's nit the battery life. You can get loads of time on those cards. But it's in takes of 10-20 minutes.

This as I understand it is a heat issue on the processors. They start to overheat and the recording stops.

It's my understanding that all dslrs do this. Though the record length varies per camera.

Basically you have to restart the record every 10-20 minutes. No hour long straight recordings.

But the picture quality on these cams can't really be beat.

the recording time limitation is due to the fat32 file system the 550(t2i, same cam) records to and not the sensor overheating.

The maximum time per file remains 29 minutes and 59 seconds or 4GB, whichever happens first. You’re looking at about 330MB per minute in any of the HD movie modes, with the 720 option consuming the same as the 1080 due to its higher frame rates. So that 4GB file limit will actually be reached after approximately 12 minutes, regardless of the HD quality setting.
Old 24-03-2011, 01:10   #30

Quote:
Ahhh!

I used tape first.

Then cotton with tape over.

Then gave up.

I'll check the docks for strays and see if I can pick up some kitty furr.
Depending where your at in the world, baby seal fur also works....