Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2004, 07:32   #1

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Question Surveying

We are purchasing a new boat, and I am curious as to what you all think about the advisability/necessity of doing a survey? While it would be a no-brainer on a used boat, I question the need for it on a new boat. The captain, however, thinks it is money well spent. Any thoughts?
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 07:57   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
YES.

Survey a new boat also.

I have worked on several brand new boats that had a long laundry list of stuff that did not work or was installed wrong.

Money well spent indeed.
If the surveyor find a bunch of proplems, have the factory pay to fix 'em and his fee.
CSY Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 09:29   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up I Concur with CYS!!!

It is customary to have a finish inspection by a self-sponsored professional to get an unbiased opinion or inspection. Get someone who is familiar with cats Like Schulz ( http://schulzsurveyors.com/ ) or maybe someone Matt can recommend. The humdred(s) you spend could save you thousand(s).

We receive new Heavy Equipment in our shop on a regular basis and before we send off the payment it goes through a receiving inspection. I'm usually part of that inspection and I can tell you there IS ALLWAYS SOMETHING WRONG or incomplete. Rework, upgrades or modifications are the norm. The worst time to find something wrong is when your out at sea. Speaking of which have the surveyor on a sea trial as well.

Regards......................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 16:55   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
New boat

When I was in the boat business I would inspect ( survey ) every new boat that arrived, and made notes regarding repairs if required. One day I sent a load of boats back to the factory and told them they were not satisfactory. It really hit the fan that day.
BC Mike C.
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 05:00   #5

Thank you all for your input. It looks like we will be calling our friend and catamaran guru, Chuck Kanter. He surveyed our previous cat, and we were very pleased with his work.
Old 24-02-2004, 13:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Before getting a survey (or parting with your hard earned) take a very good look at the boat yourself.
Go through the boat from one end to another. Trust your gut instincts. Look for anything that is loose or out of place. Check the equipment list against what is on the boat. Go through everthing. Be fussy.
Rember that this boat is going to be rolled, pitched, banged. Ropes are going to have tons of strain put on them. The engine will vibrate. The steering will try to twist the stern of the boat off, and vice versa. The anchor will try to pull the cleat out of the bow. Check that the rigging is of the correct tension.
Look for leaks!(They may only be droplets on a new boat).
Try to do ths without the dealer standing behind you.
This is the time to fix all the problems that must exist on an item that is built by hand in limited quantities.
And get your survey.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 19:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
It is highly critical to include in your contract to purchase the boat (your offer) that that the sale is subject to an acceptable survey. Otherwise you can survey the boat all you want and not have any recourse should there be major defects. I am finding in talking with surveyors and brokers that as a result of the comparatively light construction and very high stresses on a multihull, they are having a harder time getting them to pass survey.

If you would like I have a checklist of sorts that I put together for a friend taking a first look at a boat and before deciding to make an offer or go to survey on a boat. It won't all apply but I will forward you a copy if you are interested.

Good Luck,
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2004, 05:11   #8
sjs

Jeff H,

I would also be interested in your checklist. Perhaps you could post it?
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2004, 05:43   #9

Jeff,
Having seen my builder's previous performance in correcting problems, I am not especially concerned that I have no recourse, because it is unlikely I will need any. Although we are long past the contract negotiating stage ( the boat should be in the water within a couple of weeks and ready to go by the end of March), I would be very interested in your checklist for use during the commissioning process. Posting it would be great. Thanks.
Old 19-03-2004, 18:00   #10

YES YES YES to the survey.
I had the displeasure of working on a brand new boat last fall in france for 45 days before it was ready for launching.this is the place for the factory to fix or make good on there product not 4000 miles away.
lt4supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 14:11   #11

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but lt4supr's experience is exactly why we bought an American, rather than a French, cat.