Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 15:27   #1

Boat: H280
What would you do? Go or No-Go?

I think this may be my first post starting a new thread. I'll try and keep it short.

Life changing events occurred. After 20 years, i was let go/laid with my current company. I have been looking and dreaming of getting away and sailing off for a very very long time. At this point, I really don't have to work, other than to maintain my lifestyle (I travel for fun every couple of months and party like a rock start.. ).

The time may be right?

I'm early 40's, found the dream boat that i want. And, I can pay cash (at a premium due to cashing in some funds early). I own houses and apartments on the side, which I will keep. I have no debt other than one loan for apartment complex.

The numbers rounded for ease:

It will just be me (but will have crew occasionally).
Starting in the Caribbean where the sale will occur.
Cost of boat- 200k (loaded and ready to go and i will cash in some equities at a premium)
Boat 42ft
My monthly income 4k
Monthly debt (child support) ~ 800.

My issue is I will have little left for my personal oh shiz fund. Maybe 20k depending upon how it shakes out for closing/ transaction costs.
I will leave myself little for retirement other than houses/apartments that I will be taking a monthly income from. And about an additional 120k in IRAs.

Last kicker-- I will have zero healthcare.....

Real life scenario I am running in my head.....

What would you do?
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 15:36   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: What would you do? Go or No-Go?

I'm no financial expert, but if you have enough real estate, offload some and throw it into stocks. You'll spread your risks and can get access to emergency funds much quicker than selling off property.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 16:24   #3

Boat: H280

About 20k emergency funds. About 50k is available to me in real emergencies (think credit card).

The alternative to purchase would be retire very nicely with 7 figures at age 60... who wants to start then... ?
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 16:28   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Go .
Worst case scenario you are taking a break .
Best case you cruise for the rest of your life , you have enough funds for the trip and you still young and capable so I don't see why not go now .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 16:35   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Well if you reduce your boat purchase cost you would have a lot more cash cushion.

But you want to go I bet, so just go.
Old 20-03-2019, 16:37   #6

Right now going into stocks is risky IMHO. We are due for a recession. Small or big it's often 30-40% dip. Real estate never goes down much or for long. It sounds like a good time for you to give it a go to me. You are pretty well set up. Have some fun, don't obligate yourself to any length of time. The Caribe is a great place to spend 2-3 years anyway.
Medical is a bit of a problem. You can buy major med to keep from taking a big hit in emergency I suppose. It's just like gambling. Take your pick. Most things in Medical are cheap outside the US comparatively.
With 4k a month income you will be fine cruising.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 16:43   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Man, I would go! But, I would have a cheaper dream boat.

I got lots of dream boats. They vary greatly in size, type and price depending on how much money I'm dreaming that I have. I could dream of West wight Potter or the SV Helios.

You know how much you have. My dream boat with the amount your working with would probably be a little smaller, half the price, just as ready to go. And you would have more cushion financially.
Old 20-03-2019, 16:45   #8

What you get in a 42 ft boat vs a 36 ft boat is basically another bathroom.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 17:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

keep the property it is EVERY month where stocks are who knows. get a good property manager and set up something that is profit sharing to keep them motivated to keep your places 100%. I know someone that sold a trailer park to keep the wife happy, later divorced, now it is making 300per trailer 40 trailers. that is gross but a nice sum he wishes he hadn't sold.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 17:23   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Clearly your decision and yours only. The boat you have chosen to purchase will require upgrades/fixes even if it is sold as cruise ready. Perhaps even needing changes to make it more single hander friendly. You need a cushion for that. For a single hander there are a lot of nice boats that can be had for usd$150k.

Health insurance. With your income you should be eligible for a low cost, aka subsidized, ACA plan.

Save enough so that you can afford to visit the kid and have the kid visit you.
Old 20-03-2019, 19:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Go, no question! High quality health care is available for a fraction of the US cost, as you will find. Much of what we think of as necessities is an illusion.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 19:42   #12

No one can tell you what to do... only you can feel it in your gut and your heart. I would guess you are this forum not looking for advice but for verification (e.g. your looking for what you want to hear).

From personal experience, its a major life change, its scary, its the unknown. In the end, if it works, or if it does not it will make you a stronger, better person and man, your going to have stories... lots of them.

My personal opinion, i would go. You seem to be in an okay financial situation... just need to guts to pull the trigger.
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 19:44   #13

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

You numbers are a cautionary tale in the making. You need a much bigger buffer for $3200/mo income.
42 ft boat can chew that up without blinking. Plenty of threads on here about monthly costs. Cheap living is possible, but few want it bad enough to actually live it month in and month out.

Apartments / rental homes also have unexpected 'needs'. Apartment loan term? Will a bank refi you when the balloon is due? Think of what they will see at time of underwriting.

So I recommend a boat that costs half as much. Everyone has to temper their boat dreams. I bet just about everyone would like a more expensive boat, even those with very expensive boats.
Old 20-03-2019, 19:52   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Don’t touch that boat whatever it is.
No boat is ready to go, that’s marketing.
42’ is too much boat to start. 30-37’ is a good range for a couple’s starter boat. Solo, 27-35’.
Get yourself a Cal34 or a Ranger33 with a tiller. Put a motor bracket on the stern and get a 6 or 9.9hp high thrust outboard for the dinghy that can also push the mothership if need be. Get a drifter but no other lightwind sails. Compass, depthsounder, GPS, chartplotter and some backup GPSs. No wind instruments, no network. Get 2 oversized tiller autopilots. Get extra anchors of a type other than whatever you have for the main anchor. If it doesn’t already have a windlass get a manual windlass.
Buy the boat in The North east or Virginia soon or by mid-summer at the latest.
Mid to late fall start down the ICW then sail into the Bahamas and south. Work your way back ahead of Hurricane season.
So for $15-25k you have a year’s experience on a boat, will have learned to sail somewhat, will have an idea whether the lifestyle suits you and will be able to resell the boat for a lot closer to what you paid for it now that you know what you really want in a boat.

If you are on the west coast let us know.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 20:10   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

Go. All life decisions are subject to re-evaluation and NEW decisions. You might love the lifestyle you're contemplating, or not; and should you come up short financially, you'll have new choices to make. You're a young guy, and better heeled than many who choose a cruising lifestyle. You're dead a long time. Enjoy life!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote