Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 21:13   #1

Southern Cross 31 Purchase?

Hello all,
Been lurking around here for a while, shopping for boats and STILL cannot figure out what I want to get. One side of me says get something small to learn on and then get what I want. I have noticed that boats don't exactly sell fast, so if I get the wrong boat or one I out grow quickly I could be stuck.
The wife and I want something to learn on but having something big enough to camp on is required and in a few years when I retire I want to sail the caribbean and maybe more. I am not doing that with one of the many coastal cruisers. So, I have found this guy:
31 ft southern cross
Asking 28K at the moment, the price for this boat has slowly gone down over the past few years from 42K. However do I know if I am getting a decent deal on this boat? Sure, I am going to get a survey done and try to get some of my sailboat friends to check the boat out to make sure I am not throwing my money away on a haul and survey....Do you guys think this is a decent price? I saw the boat today, and it looks like the pics, even though the pics are almost 5years old! The boat is a little tight on space, but it sure is a solid boat compared to the coastal cruisers...Which quite frankly, seem a little cheaply made to me.
Thanks in advance!
perrysplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 03:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Southern Cross 31 Purchase?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, perrysplus.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1...ern-cross.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 04:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Southern Cross 31 Purchase?

Hi Perry.. Welcome to CF..
She's a lovely boat.. and I've only heard good things from owners.. they've circumnavigated and have a lot of plus points for folk like myself..
The minus for many would be the smaller cockpit and the traditional interior compared to the plastic fantastic boats of today.
If the wife has seen her and likes the layout.. and considers her comfy to function in.. bite the sellers hand off..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 05:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Compare to this 79 @ US$17,500 ➥ Southern Cross 31 Boats For Sale

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 05:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Compare to this 79 @ US$17,500 ➥ Southern Cross 31 Boats For Sale
Gord.. I'm a sucker for the Green n Cream and the bowsprit.. not keen on the dinette.. can't see it being usable on the opposite tack without strapping in..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-03-2016, 06:07   #6

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

We looked at a nice Southern Cross 31 before buying our Island Packet 31. Loved the robust nature of the SC, but being a bigger guy the narrow beam just made me feel like I was packed into it. Sure are lovely boats though.

Mike
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:57   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

You do not tell us what sailing skills you have. If you start sailing on a heavy long keel boat, you never learn the very basics that you learn on a beach boat (like a Sunfish, a Laser or a Hobbie, etc.) So, if you want to LEARN, then simply get a dinghy and learn to sail it from the bottom up. The mistakes we make on dinghies are 'costly' - we end up in the water or with the boom thrashing our silly heads. Believe me or not, getting wet, cold and beaten is the quickest way to become a skilled sailor.

The boat. It is one of the time tested designs and provided her condition matches your expectations and your level of maintenance skills, then simply test the engine, check all the crucial points (chainplates, structure, rigging, rudder, keel bolts, sails, etc.) and then decide. If you are into sailing more than tinkering, always get a boat that has minimum things in need of repair/correction.

Southern Cross are fine boats allright. Very simple to sail and maintain. Not too big for beginners at all.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 07:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Damn.. so that's where I went wrong..
I learnt on 27ft Montague Whalers and 32ft Cutters.. sails and oars.. flip those and they sank..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fig_01.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	121047   Click image for larger version

Name:	thL3PEVL7O.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	121048  

Old 20-03-2016, 07:37   #9

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the replies. So, I have no sailing experience... Not really anyways, I just need to lean the finer points of sailing but I know enough that I love sailing
And I saw that other boat for 17.5k and that's why I'm asking this question. The 17.5k boat isn't as nice as this one, but then again the nada value of this boat is just 20k so that is probably a big reason why he hasn't sold the boat yet, along with the fact, around here anyways, most want a coastal cruiser.
Thanks for the info on the island packet, that is one boat I really want to look at, need to see if any are around here or not.
The only flaws I noticed with this sc31 is a few of the bolts in the ceiling were leaking a very little about the of water. (not chain plates) I mean a drop of two and we had a pretty bad remain storm the other day (no water damage inside). The owner didn't think this was a big deal at all and said he would call his boat guy and have it fixed.
As far as the room inside the boat... It is small! The wife wanted something bigger, as did I, but as I said, this boat (compared to the costal cruisers, including an Erickson 30) just seems so much more solid, and more importantly, it's in the price range I wanted to pay.
Old 20-03-2016, 07:39   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I couldn't find the year?

It looks good in the pics, nice engine, well kept. I'd say its a good boat. I prefer something beamy-er myself, but its a tried and true design that will no doubt get you where you are going.

However, for a 31 it seems overpriced...hence no sale yet. Based on my limited knowledge, I would expect it to be worth $20k absolute max.

As others have said, bite the sellers hand off.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 07:45   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I spent a lot of time on a SC 39. Have sailed many boats being in the charter industry. SC was one of the most solid. Experienced F12 winds off of Victoria and felt safe. Be sure and have the decking surveyed thoroughly.
Very well made. Engine access was not so great.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 07:51   #12

The boat is a 1980, hull#125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I couldn't find the year?

It looks good in the pics, nice engine, well kept. I'd say its a good boat. I prefer something beamy-er myself, but its a tried and true design that will no doubt get you where you are going.

However, for a 31 it seems overpriced...hence no sale yet. Based on my limited knowledge, I would expect it to be worth $20k absolute max.

As others have said, bite the sellers hand off.
Old 20-03-2016, 08:01   #13

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I came inches away from buying one of these in New England two years ago, but chickened out after the results of the survey showed extensive deck moisture. It was a super-clean and solid-looking boat, like yours. But I would certainly pay for a detailed deck survey before writing the check.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:22   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you are unsure, or on the fence...make a low offer and let the seller decide. You either get a great deal, or no deal.

And +1 for a good survey.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 11:12   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Please get some more experience before choosing a long keel double ender. You'll be happier knowing the difference between boats and their performance. If you are the least little bit interested in having a speedier sailer then this one may not be for you.

kind regards,

Tags
purchase