Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 19:49   #46

Re: Southern Cross 31 Purchase?

Again, you guys are awesome...Oh, and that CSY 33 is fantastic! If I were leaving tomorrow, this would probably have to be obtained
perrysplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 19:58   #47

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Someone on Cruisers Forum said that learning to sail is not rocket science and you could learn to sail in a one day session....

Not rocket science unless you want to reach escape velocity.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 21:11   #48

Boat: Hartog 40

My late husband and I owned a 1980 hull #100. It was a nice sailing boat and I didn't have a big problem with interior space alth it was pretty narrow at 9' somrthing.

However, try to contact the SC Owners group which met in Newport, RI. They sent out a newsletter and around 1992 or 93 a member had a story with pictures of his hull problems with his 31'. As I remember he had gelcoat seepages and finally in desperation chainsawed a section of the ass end (oh sorry, meant aft end, of course) and found instead of lead steel pouchings and many voids and rusts water.

You might wonder why I remember this after so many years and I apologize if the details are not 100%. I remember because my husband lost our SC off Townsville, Aus at the Willis Islets in Aug of '91. Not to drag this thing out forever he (in his retelling of the circumstances) bumped over a coral head which seemed like hitting a northeast pothole, nothing more serious. Long story real short he and the couple with him became the longest chopper rescue in Aus till then. By reading the story in the newsletter he figured out why his shorts were full of rust and vermiculite when he got his next shower.

Also in my memory is that the guy in the article had had to shim his mast. I also read a book years ago by Pat Henry who circumnavigated in a SC 31 and speaks of a mast shimming on it.

If you were looking at a low hull numbet I would not have even commented but maybe try to check out the info and surely mention it to the surveyor

By the way, now I have a Joe Hartog Holland Marine design in steel.

Good luck whatever you decide
Lynn Odendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 00:49   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My personal guess: a person who says that you can learn to sail in one day likely does not know how to sail very well...

Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 11:15   #50

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrysplus View Post
My friend is going to take me out on the hobie cat I can rent here locally for next to nothing this week. I have watched many many videos on learning to sail so I am hoping this goes well. I also have another friend that has "offered" to take me out on his 23ft boat. So, hopefully, this will all go a long way for me and the wife to learn to sail.
I hope you have a great time! Friends with boats is a great way to be introduced to sailing but going out with an instructor is a good way to learn. The reason I say that is that sailors teach what they know and not all sailors know the correct way of doing things.

Stay safe!
Old 23-03-2016, 20:44   #51

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrysplus View Post
My friend is going to take me out on the hobie cat I can rent here locally for next to nothing this week. I have watched many many videos on learning to sail so I am hoping this goes well. I also have another friend that has "offered" to take me out on his 23ft boat. So, hopefully, this will all go a long way for me and the wife to learn to sail.
Read a chapter about points of sail before you go.
And don't be a passenger...ask to take the main sheet...ask to take the helm.
I've had many guests aboard who think they are real sailors, when all they do is eat and drink, and have not a clue where they are or how they got there.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase