Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 20:27   #91
Kai Nui

Another incredibe day, and a better weather day than the last for Charlie We went up to enjoy some incredible hospitality from Charlie on his J boat. Nice boat! We sailed out towards Angel Island. Light winds, completely flat, T-Shirt weather. Great day, and, brave sole that he is, Charlie even let me take the helm Only one minor mutiny, but Susan got the stereo to calm down before it blew us out of the cockpit (Darn high tech stereos) I have been on a few race boats, but the J105 impressed me. Very stiff boat, but she points high, and we were able to get close to 7kts in only about 11kts of wind. Very lively sail.
Old 04-12-2006, 17:27   #92

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
We also had a most excellent sail on Saturday (Columbia River, Portland, Oregon).

39 degrees when we started, no wind, but soon built to a solid 15 knots from the west and we had a fun time tearing around against the current and gusts. Kids stayed below as the Newport heater kept the cabin warm. Afterwards, we drank hot chocolate from bowls because the cups were at home. Then we drove to a party with my wife's sailing group and had wine, chocolates and lots of conversation about sailing.

Not a bad day at all.. Pictures here.

Chilly, but incredibly refreshing on a December day:
Old 04-12-2006, 20:41   #93

Boat: Sceptre 41
Had a great sail with Scott and Susan. There really are faces behind these avicars. If you need good crew I can recommend them. Sun. good people. good wind. Had a nice time.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:10   #94

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
What a day

Hi all,
I've had the 'Footpath in the water for 2 weeks now and have had 2 sails. The first, a fortnight a go was relatively short, winds were light as the sea breeze was about to come in. It was good to have sails up, not so good was how small the main was as it had been butchered by previous owner, once I get financial this will be a good 25-30knot sail. The sea breeze came and I bolted for the mooring, my plan to drop the main, run on the staysail, then drop that and motor up to the mooring worked out perfectly, just as you like on the maiden sail and singlehanded.
This weeks sail was great, had the flying jib up for a while, that got us going well. then droped that and sttled for main and staysail, 15-20 kn, getting the feel at various points of sail, then as the breeze was really building I decided to head for home. One of the bigger yacht clubs were using a bouy near the mooring as a turning mark, and they were charging down under spinnaker on my prefered course, so silly me I dropped the main and came down on the staysail wider and deeper towards a bank than I should have, dropped sail, motor on, and forward motion stopped, I was aground.
Not a good position, side ways to a strong wind, reverse did me no good so I threw out the anchor as far as I could upwind then setlled to wait for the tide to come in.
Eventually I was able to get myself around so I was head to wind, but the bounce bounce was not nice.
Lots of powerboats around, but no one interested, I wired up the radio,[was fitted, but not connected by previous owner, but I did not seem to be transmitting]
No problem, the tide will come in and I will motor off, only 300 metres across to my mooring.
After 4 hours I was still there, I'd had the engine running at various revs the whole time, then found the gear linkage had come adrift and the rudder had jammed, too much bouncing ,so it was time to call for serious help, aren't mobile phones great!
Before too long I had the local rescue boat on site, and shortly I was on my mooring.
Next day I was down bright and early, no water in the bilges, whew.
Found the bolt and nut for the gear linkage, dived on the hull , al well and good, freed up the rudder, so apart fron a bit of damage from the anchor chain all was ok.
Moral of the story, drop my sails and motor where I want to be, race fleet or no race fleet!!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:40   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Great story. Hye have you a photo of her in the Gallery???

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 01:49   #96

Hi wheels, I have dicovered photo gallery, and now have 2 photos of the'Footpath. One day We'll be along side in the Sounds, it is a long time since I was down there.
Emmo
Old 18-12-2006, 17:56   #97

We had another excellent winter sail on Saturday. 39 degrees, debris everywhere in the Columbia River, 5-15 East winds, occasional 20 degree heel as we beat into the wind and current, heater going full blast below for the kids, five other sailboats seen, one powerboat. A complete lifesaver.

More pics here.

Old 22-12-2006, 00:35   #98
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
So Jim ... lose much heat with that hatch open? or is that so you get a little while at the helm?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 15:17   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
So Jim ... lose much heat with that hatch open? or is that so you get a little while at the helm?
What? We're supposed to close the hatch?

Basically the kids are popping up and down through the companionway so much that they'd just bash their heads if we tried to close things up much. That and the lingering concerns of CO2...

Surprisingly, even with the hatch wide open, the cabin is decent for a few hours of sailing. Could be worse.

Now if I can find crew for during the holidays!

Jim H
Old 29-12-2006, 03:36   #100

Hi all,

On 27/12/06 my son and I took the 'Footpath on her first tip to sea for 13 years. Our intention was to sail from our mooring on the Swan River, not far from the centre of Perth, to Mandurah, about 38 nm each way, stopping over night.
We cast off the mooring at 6.00am and I elected to motor down, figured I'd need the whole time to set up for lowering the mast on this my first time[ real hassle, but can't afford an outside pen].
Mast came down and went up with no hassles, just a lot of sweat, and by 8.30 we were sails up and sipping a deserved can of bourbon.
Just as we cleared Garden Island and headed south the easterly died, so it was time for the "iron mainsail", a whole 1 1/2 hours before the Docter started in. Then we were off, the breeze was a steady 12- 15 knots, we managed 4-5 knots and it was an extremly pleasant sail on an almost flat sea.
On arrival we dropped all sail just off the river and motored into the marina,where the bosun directed us to a berth, no charge first night, reciprocal membership.
By 6.45 we were in the bar, eying the smogasborg next door.
Trip home was much a carbon copy, sail, motor, watch dolphins, sail, breeze freshened a bit more and a swell developed, but very enjoyable sailing, did I say it was 37 degrees??
Back up the river, back to our mooring by 6.30 pm, when can I get out again?

Emmo
Old 04-02-2007, 18:36   #101
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Whoo Hoo!!! First sail of the year on MY boat! It was horrible ... 72 degrees F, 10 to 12 knots of wind, seas 8 ft at 14 seconds. oh yeah.. it was just terrible. ... ahahahahahahahahahaha

Beautiful. Saw some dolphin .. but no whales. Sailed out almost to Anacapa, changed course to Ventura, and just at the entrance decided not to enter and head back to Channel Islands Harbor. Steady 7.6 to 8.2 through the water speeds (except on the downwind leg). A wonderful 4 hours.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 20:30   #102

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha All,
A beautiful sail today in 80 degree weather with winds 8-10k. Rowed a Walker Bay 10 out to the club's International Folkboat, "Cheers" and installed a battery, then put the 4hp Johnson in the outboard well. Rowed back ashore to fetch my wife Christie and then we got underway. Sailed off the mooring and back on the mooring so we didn't really need the engine.
We headed out past the breakwall into the Pacific swell for a time and when we turned back to come into Hilo Bay we caught glimpse of a humpback whale when it came up several times parrallel to our course and inshore of us.
Just a beautiful sail and a wonderful day. All and all I was on the boat about 5 hours from start to finish.
Great boat. Our yacht club has several for club members to use and it is really nice since my big boat is not in the water.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 09:24   #103

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Your stories and pics of your recent daysails are great and I'm envious - here's what I did at the boat today

Drove through 8 to 12 inches of snow and minus 25C with the wind chill to get to the marina as alot of streets were not plowed yet - I wanted to check if after this last storm that the cover was intact and had not either blown off or colapsed with the weight of the snow.

Got to the marina - main gate locked. It is a combination which all boat owners(and half the city) know the numbers and found it frozen up. After a couple of minutes of heavy breathing on the lock and a dizzy spell, got it off. Had to kick out about 2 feet of drifted snow in front of the gate to swing it open and drive in. Fortunately I have an all wheel drive SUV.

Got to about 50 yards away from the boat and had to do a goose step march through about 20 inces of snow depth to the boat. Glad to see the cover still in place and holding up. Took a few longing looks at her - dreaming of warm sails and clear night sailing and repeated the aforementioned process to get back out to the street. Of course the lock froze open in the meantime so some more hot air (I'm known for that) and the yard was secure again.

So I'm thinking of all of you that can sail year round - you don't want to know what I'm thinking - and wish you all fair winds until I can join in the fun - say about May!!!!
Old 17-02-2007, 09:33   #104
Kai Nui

Randy, I feel your pain, but those sailing days, when they do come are so much sweeter May be time to head for warmer waters
Old 19-02-2007, 12:54   #105

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha All,
Was out yesterday with the club on sail day. Had a good time on a Sunfish ferrying people to and from the shore and sailing about. I've had as many as 4 adults aboard to just sail back and forth to our larger club boats for transferring of crew.
Yesterday was about 73 degrees overcast, threatening rain and about 10 knots of wind with occasional gusts. The wind clocked around from East to North then East again confusing some of the new sailors but only one assist was needed by the power boat. Good day's sail.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail