Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Small Inverter for Charter?

We've got a 14 day charter booked this summer and will be spending a lot of time at anchor. The boat doesn't have an inverter and I was wondering it it would be a good idea to pick up a small one to take along.

We've got a couple of iphones, an ipad and a laptop and ideally I would take all of them: got a bit of work we need to do...

Any suggestions on what would be appropriate?

Bruce
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:14   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Small Inverter for Charter?

Yes, just buy a cheapie 400 watt inverter from an auto parts shop. They just plug into the cigarette socket.

Should be less than $50

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:00   #3

Hi,

Another option before going down the inverter path is to purchase a $3 cigarette lighter plug that takes a USB plug as it's output. I'm currently using one that has a dual USB output and can charge my iPhone and iPad at the same time. Works a treat.
Stendecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:03   #4

as above the phone, ipad ect should all be charging from 12v cig plug. inverters are a waste of power. use it only as needed. like for the laptop. get one with clip on leads as well as a cig plug. in case there is no cig plug on the boat.

what does it have for a battery and charging system? 14 days is a long trip. and everything used has to go back in. if it's lacking an inverter it's probably lacking else where as well. 99% of good systems on the west coast of BC (guessing that's were you are heading) has one...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 15:10   #5

Boat: Hunter 386

I have to admit the whole amps to watts to volts thing is the one part of sailing likely to explode my brain. I'll bring along the car adapters; I just figured the inverter could charge more than one device at a time.

I take it from the comments that the inverter will draw more amps regardless of the load on it?
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 15:50   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I have to admit the whole amps to watts to volts thing is the one part of sailing likely to explode my brain. I'll bring along the car adapters; I just figured the inverter could charge more than one device at a time.

I take it from the comments that the inverter will draw more amps regardless of the load on it?
The inverter does draw a bit more. For the iphones you can use the small cigaret plug, but for your laptop that will not charge via usb as it needs 19 volts. So you either need a step up transformer to go from 12 to 19 v.

But for a charter the inverter will be more flexible as you can recharge or use other stuff too, like a shaver etc.

Plus at the end of the charter you can still use it at home for in car charging etc.

Btw some small cigarette to usb chargers wont work well with iPads because Apple set a different voltage or something.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 15:54   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I usually take a small plug in inverter and find it very useful. My iPhone will charge directly off a 12 volt USB, but I find my IPad and many other devices will not and require a small inverter. I picked up a small one for about $25.

If in doubt as to whether you need an inverter or not , test the device in question on your car 's 12-volt system.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, inverter