Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 15:00   #16

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Single handed encouragement needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My little Islander 34, is two feet less beamier and three feet shorted, but only 2000 pounds less then the 37. I've single handed it pretty much 99% of the time for the last 11 years.

I personally, without even knowing sailorchic, think this is the best possible endorsement. Hopefully, without sounding chauvinistic, I can say what I'm trying to say. It's not about muscle. Yes, it takes some physical ability, but if you set things up properly you can handle a good size yacht by yourself. It takes some fore-thought and it takes practice, but it is completely do-able !
Old 01-09-2018, 15:10   #17

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

So many good suggestions, I love single handed sailing, I have a Tayana 37, she backs up like a drunk Buffalo with high heels on. I am on a mooring ball and think that is much better for me.

My Auto Pilot is what makes or breaks a trip, and when moving around the boat I say to myself LOW and Slow, I move forward on the windward side of the boat, if i trip i have some real estate before getting wet. I am 59, and yes not as limber as when I was 29, but I hope I am smarter now then 29.

Reef early and often, and I hate sailing with a schedule, still working but still despise A schedule. IMHO more sailors and pilots, get into trouble because they feel they have to get there or get back on time.

Sorry to hear about your wife, sounds like she will recoup, in the mean time you will be a better sailor because of this experience. Its scary for all of us, at times and thats ok, have fun be safe and you will be fine.

Cheers,

Pop"s
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 17:59   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you will be able to singlehand a SO 37 allright. Give it a shot.

They are easy to maneuver and I see many owners here leave and return in such boats on daily basis.

Pick out a fine dry day and see how it goes. Over time you will built not just proficiency but also confidence and you may end up keeping the boat.

It would be a shame to sell a boat that you like. Do give it a try.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 18:13   #19

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I do hope that your wife gets better and is able to come with you.

However if you do have to go singlehanded it can be very rewarding once you get over the initial few voyages when you will be in the learning stages. If you do longer passages you will go to a place where not many have been. It will be good to reflect back on your life and try and think what is the longest you have ever been by yourself. Not many on this planet have been more than a day or two. Within a week your life would have changed, I can guarantee it. I wish you all the best.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 18:34   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Keep in mind that you own a plastic boat, as most of us do. And fiberglass is fairly forgiving but easily repaired in the off season. Would agree with comments on autopilot as it allows me to do a number of tasks while singlehanding ( eg hoisting/dousing main, retrieving fenders, dock lines). When feeling lazy I just sail with furling Genoa in lieu of raising main too. Practice is key as has been mentioned also planning ahead prior to docking. Can practice on navigational buoys, getting a feel for what it takes to stop her momentum and will she go astern in some predictable manner. Lastly, can hail the harbor master and ask for assistance at your slip when bringing her in. Good luck and hope your wife recovers quickly.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 19:16   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I am 63 and single hand day charter trips on larger boats.

First stay “ahead of the situation”, be the first to reef!

Second plan your tacks- work on being able to snap a wrap off the winch from across the cockpit. A good AP is essential. I do not use the ray marine auto tack feature as it is too slow. But once I am close to my new heading I engage the AP to tidy things up.

Third, in most situations you can dock that boat without a thruster. But on your next haulout get one! There will be subsequent posters who eschew this comment. But, when (not if) you get caught and need to dock in a nasty crosswind, having a thruster changes it from a “oh my” moment to - got it!

Fourth rig a spring line such that you can bring your boat into the slip, stop the boat 2/3 of the way in, grab the spring from where you left it and place it on a cleat or the primary winch. Then you can engage the engine and continue to dock the boat. When the spring goes tight- you can leave the boat in gear while getting a bow or stern line on. Then take her out of gear.

If there is a charter operation by you see if you can hire one of thier captains for a 1/2 day.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 19:23   #22

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Yes, you can do it.

Today I took my 40' Catalina out for a great solo sail. My wife wasn't able to join me. It was a bit blustery, 15+MPH winds, so I reefed both the main and jib. When I'm by myself, I tether myself even when in the cockpit. I had a great sail. The advice people have given all sound pretty good. My two cents is that I try to anticipate what I'll need, and have it ready to go. Food made, warm clothes, boat gear all organized, etc.

When my wife is able to go, she has days when she can do more, and days when she can do less - it's a medical thing. On days where she isn't as able, we figure out how to head to calmer areas, or sail the boat de-powered by adjusting reefing, sail trim and point of sail. We've found the things that she can do, like steering, and she contributes and participates as much as possible. She is often the designated "look out" and loves to find interesting sea life. There are many days where we take a short sail, and anchor out for a meal and relax, then sail home again. There are some days where we "dock sail" and never leave the dock. We often have guests aboard, as that is someghing that my wife and I both enjoy. Perhaps that may be true for you as well. At times, my wife has mobility issues. When that happens, I dock the boat stern in, and she is able to board the boat using the swim step, and walk through the transom opening. Perhaps that might work for you. Our thinking is that the more we enjoy the boat together, the better.

You have a great boat for single-handing. It's very similar to mine. I have gone to a bit of work and expense to make it better for us. We have both an electric winch on the cabin-top for the main and to run the in-mast furler, and I also added electric winches for the jib sheets. I know, I got a little carried away there, but with my arthritis, it makes it easier! An electric windless is a nice addition, and a good autopilot is the big must-have in my opinion. I use the auto tack function often for tacking. I use the auto pilot a lot, but also enjoy turning it off and just feeling the boat as she sails. Yes, you can look at improving your gear and systems, but with the proper attitude and preparation, your boat is probably already fine for single handed sailing.

Go out. The more the better. Practice various maneuvers, especially docking - which should be done slowly. (One of my favorite lines when we have guests is that ... "We are ladies and gentlemen. We never jump onto a dock. We wait for the boat to stop, and then gracefully step onto the dock"...). The more you take the boat out, the better you'll do, and be more comfortable, which will translate into a more comfortable experience for your wife. Believe me, I know about dealing with medical issues. Our goal is for us both to be on the boat as much as possible, and it is working for us. I hope that it does for you as well.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:00   #23

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

Hello Dr D, Lots of good advice but always remember advice is for thinking about and finding out what works for you. I've sailed a lot offshore and overnight short-handed and done lots of local solo. This past year I added to my solo with about 1000 nm solo but with stops. But, as all the advice says, set the boat up to stay off the foredeck and, when possible, rig to do everything from the cockpit when sailing. Tether, of course, in my mind.

I've scanned most of the posts and the focus seems to have been on mooring and day sailing, all of which I think are the easy bits. Its the overnights that give extra challenge and many rewards. My heavy Herreshoff is 36' and easy to handle offshore but not so good getting into what Americans call a slip, we call a pen. But, I've done it for years alone and set up my pen.

There was a thread on this forum a month or so ago about books. Look for Singlehanded sailing book recommendations

Also, the Golden Globe Race (GGR) is on now and following the race and especially the chats by the organiser, Don McIntyre, are really informative. Even if you don't want to sail in the Southern Ocean, the issues covered are educational and interesting - some create enough 'fear' to make me sail more safely.

I plan to head around Cape Leeuwin in november/december for Christmas at a town/port called Albany in Western Australia. From there, maybe back to Fremantle or maybe onward east. Solo or one crew, possibly my daughter some of the time but no passages by my partner. She did enough in Indonesia and south down the West Coast to stick with day sails and her gardens.

Sail well!
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:17   #24

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

Day sailing a boat into the 40 plus foot range is very doable. If your Marina has dock hands and it should docking should not be an issue either. The only downside is that you will be alone enjoying it. Tacking will take practice but an autopilot helps.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:18   #25

First, get autopilot remote control, so you can be anywhere on a boat and fully control your boat. Second, get rugged phone with Navionics app and AIS app, so you can carry it in your pocket and check your position/AIS targets at any time. Check Class 40 or Class Mini boats and change your rigging accordingly.
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:33   #26

Boat: Valiant 40
Single handed encouragement needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The most important things I need to single-hand are controls for almost everything back to the cockpit (certainly halyards, all reefing, traveller, preventer, topping lift, outhaul, vang), and a good and easily accessible autopilot. The (perfectly good) ST7000+ on the boat was tucked away, so I mounted it front and centre between the wheels. Just being able to hit Auto on your way to picking up a rope makes everything easier. Auto-tack makes light work of upwind sailing and all you need to grab are the jib sheets. Decently organised lazyjacks make raising and lowering the main stress-free. I thought I'd need to get an in-boom furler, but it turns out I don't.

As someone who lives aboard and single hands a boat with everything led back to the cockpit I disagree that it is among the most important things or even desirable.

Not only does it make for masses of rope in the cockpit, but it introduces a significant amount of friction, particularly to halyards. And unless you have single line reefing, you have to go forward to the mast to secure a cringle to the gooseneck, then return to tension the luff.

I agree that a good reliable autopilot is key. You’ll use it heavily as it makes many, many tasks easier and safer.

In general, becoming comfortable singlehanding is about developing processes and procedures and sequences of common tasks that work for you and your boat. It’s about thinking a task through start to finish and planning ahead with the knowledge that you can’t just ask someone to help right in the middle. As you figure this stuff out you’ll have a few “Oh $&@%” moments where you overlooked something in your planning. Experience is the best teacher.

Practice single handing...leaving the dock, navigating, setting sails, tacking gybing etc and returning to the dock on light air days to sort through what’s required. Managing the boat solo when it’s blowing 20 knots is a challenge you don’t need before you’re familiar with how to run the boat alone.

Without a doubt getting back into the slip is going to be the most challenging task, at the start and in future. You’ll have to figure out a process that works for your boat, slip, and conditions. Given your spade rudder it will probably entail backing in so you can grab a spring line (or two) on your way past to stop and secure the boat.

Eventually you’ll encounter a different problem; you go out sailing with others and you do everything yourself and it’s just easier than explaining to someone how to do it lol.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handed encouragement needed

Do your early solo time in winds below 15kts.. no pressure or stress with enough wind to push you along.
Then work out your reefing system to as fast and simple as safely possible.. find the comfortable combinations.. you need easier movement solo.. minimises stamina depreciation and losing that push for the extra 12 to 16nm per day is kinder to both boat and body..
Solo is about doing your own thing..
Coming into marinas I set fenders each side and prep lines each side before entering.. if you have a midship cleat great... make that the first line you secure (shore/pontoon setup permiting) and if you've lead your fore and aft lines to the centre its a snip grabbing one or the other to complete tying up.
Watchkeeping is something you will have to work out for yourself.. there'll be a variety of suggestions here.. try them all out and opt for whats the most reviving nap..
Much is made about traffic areas.. I have in the past hove to 30+nm of these routes for a good kip before entering say the Western Approaches so I can manage with the catnapping for say 48hrs.. although theres a few areas before the Solent where heaving to stratigicly will give you 8hrs kip with little risk except from those bludi singlehanders not keeping watch.
When its quiet practice coming and leaving the hook under sail and motor.. this is where electric and remote are a definite asset..
Slowly Slowly Catchee Monkey... you can do it.. just find the most comfortable routine for you.. we all have our own 'best way'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51   #28

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Great advice already offered above, but I'll add some too. I had three sailboats, 30', 36' and 44', and single-handed them all. I found the lazy jacks were the best addition that I made, making dousing the main a piece of cake. Also a mid-ship cleat for springing in or out of my slip made life so much easier. I always enjoyed the solitude of single-handing, and even did some multi-day trips in the Sea of Cortez.

As already stated, practice, practice, practice. Now I am on a big 52' motorboat, so getting into my slip by myself is very challenging. Guess I need more practice!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. You are going to love it!

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13   #29

Boat: Island Packet 40

Starting when you are still reasonably fit is good, I can still manage it even with the ills of age because I am reasonably skilled by long usage.

Being able to manage as much as possible from the safety of the cockpit helps a lot when you become less nimble. Crawling around on the fore deck on arthritic knees in the dark on a rough night is not an endearing experience.

The new love of your life is your autopilot. Getting sails up and down, being able to spend time below to make a cup of coffee during a boisterous downwind sail, knowing the boat is going to stay on track whilst you are busy with working it are all important and sometimes critical.

Pre-planning and thinking your way into marinas and moorings rather than "she'll be right mate" is a good habit to acquire.

I use a midship cleat through which I run a braided line with a loop in the end to drop over a dock cleat having the other end already a couple of turns around a self tailing sheet winch. If I can manage to get the loop onto a dock cleat I can use the engine and rudder and the winch to accomplish a stable position at the dock and can then fairly casually go about getting the bow and stern lines on. I keep the boat hook handy in case I need it to reach out the loop onto the dock cleat. Looking back I think my single handed dockings have been more successful than my crewed because I am obliged to carefully pre-plan and execute them whereas I was fairly casual about it when crewed.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:48   #30

Boat: Valiant 40
Single handed encouragement needed

Related to docking, one important rule is NEVER step off the boat until it is secured unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that doing so will allow you to complete that task with no complications, such as no wind and/or current and the boat is not moving. Ray’s tactic of using a midships cleat and winch is one way of tackling that. While it might seem simpler and far easier to jump on the dock with line in hand if it goes pear shaped you may find yourself unable to get back ON the boat and your one line inadequate to control it.

While I’m at I’ll add: beware of well meaning strangers offering to catch a line. While accepting can lead to problems when you have others on board it can lead to bigger problems when you’re alone, realize your strangers have no clue what they’re are doing or won’t listen, and the wind or current or both leave you tied to the dock and unable to bail but unsecured or in a very difficult situation.

Tags
enc, men, single