Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2018, 08:36   #106
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handed encouragement needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmarshall View Post
Eventually you’ll encounter a different problem; you go out sailing with others and you do everything yourself and it’s just easier than explaining to someone how to do it lol.
I sail a Jeanneau 389 with a bow thruster and find it is easier to do everything myself. Not because I'm a control nut but because I have a system of what needs to be done and when.

When someone "helps," this interrupts my usual checklist sequence and throws me off. I have left the dock only to find a line still attached that someone told me they had tossed off. Not a big deal, however I've never had that occur while solo. Since every task has to be "double checked" I find it easier and faster to do it myself.

When folks come aboard and want to do something, I station them at the bow to watch for traffic as we come out of the slip. This gives them something to do and also keeps them out of the way.

Big picture wise, if you are able to single hand, it offers a tremendous amount of freedom. You can take passengers but don't need to rely on their help.[/QUOTE]

A+1..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 08:55   #107

Re: Single handed encouragement needed

Quote: "When someone "helps," this interrupts my usual checklist sequence and throws me off."

Aboard ship, and in all other work environments that entail dangers to life and limb, it must be an unbreakable rule that "you do not help, unless asked" But the corollary is that "orders must be executed promptly and proficiently".

For one example, when I'm working on the cabinet saw or other power tool, anyone coming into the shop is required to stand, perfectly still and wordlessly, IN THE DOOR OPENING which I can see in my peripheral vision, until I stop the tool and acknowledge the person.

For another, aboard TrentePieds NO-ONE is permitted to operate the capstan UNLESS taught BY ME how to keep fingers clear of the gypsy.

There are some people that have ineradicable difficulty in evincing the sort of situational awareness that is required to stay safe aboard ship. It is, IMO, skipper's responsibility to KNOW, in regard to every person who comes aboard, whether such is the case. If so, that person is welcome to be a passenger, but it is skipper's responsibility to ensure that he never tells off such a person to do a job that is too dangerous for him, i.e. to know in regard to every person aboard what that person's limitations are.

Taking this argument to its conclusion it is obviously essential to safe yachting that the skipper can single-hand his vessel. A corollary of that is that I'm always either single-handing or teaching :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 17:27   #108

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If nothing else it will be wicked maneuverable around the dock. Saildrives have almost nonexistent prop walk and dual spade rudders will make it feel like a sports car. Have fun!

Too true! The boat delivery was yesterday and involved a three hour sail to get it to our marina. Today I had a six hour lesson on handling the boat. Wow, this is a sports car!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 08:38   #109

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

... if you need some inspiration...
Old 26-01-2019, 11:35   #110

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
When someone "helps," this interrupts my usual checklist sequence and throws me off.
The dictionary has gotten the definition of "helping" wrong. The TRUE definition of "helping" is Making things harder and pretending to do a favor

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 07:22   #111

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
The dictionary has gotten the definition of "helping" wrong. The TRUE definition of "helping" is Making things harder and pretending to do a favor

jon
Yes! A pet peeve of mine: people who want to "help" (make themselves feel better) at my inconvenience.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 09:46   #112

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

IMO, we all need to consider a cruising boat being fully suitable for single handed - no matter how big...
Unlike my racing boat that need at least 8 pros on board I have always considered my cruiser a single handed, no matter how many friends and family join, also as I want to go out sailing immediately when possible and not necessarily when others are available.
So when shopping for my next cruiser every 7-8 years here are my priorities with the main design/rigging etc.:
1. Furling main (and of course jib - but this is easy to upgrade)
2. Self tacking jib option as a default or a staysail (furled) cutter rigging, can also be upgraded later
3. All lines and controls leading to cockpit - better right around the helm
Upgrades:
a. power winches or electric winch handle
b. bow thruster (can be added, installed for approx $8-10K)
c. a very good auto pilot (remote an optional)
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 19:00   #113

Single handing is a state of mind.

Some men I know are extremely lucky, & sail with a lady who is competent in all things sailing. However how many men do you know who have sailed with a lovely lady, one who is great company, but about as useful as tits on a bull, when it comes to cruising a yacht.

I know many who sail with such ladies, & successfully do so for years. Effectively they are sailing single handed, & have done so for years. Still many of these men would never consider sailing far single handed, they just don't have the confidence.

I find it interesting that those lovely ladies have the critical job of making the man more capable & confident by putting their trust in him.

So give yourself a pat on the back ladies, in making your man more confident, & fellers, you could do it alone, if you can find a dose of confidence to help you get started.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 20:08   #114

Regardless of crew composition (men, women and/or children- or none at all) developing self-reliance has been important for me. Every small battle won by skill, practice or, frankly, just plain luck has built my confidence.

I grew up sailing on a small gaff-rigged sloop that was engineless. Waiting out calms, docking and catching the mooring was all done without the benefits of an engine, let alone thrusters or remote controlled autopilots.

An earlier poster mentioned the value of knee-to-tiller sailing. For those of us who steer by tillers, some sort of device to hold the tiller in place is important for solo-sailing, but it can be as simple as balancing the tiller against one's leg as the jib sheet is brought in. I've used several different styles of tiller locks to enable venturing out of the cockpit.

The value of early experience going engineless as been in situations when, for one reason or another, my engine failed me. Last year that happened returning to my slip. I felt comfortable raising up some sail and gliding in without too much anxiety because I'd done it before in a different boat.

I guess if marina configurations or other issues prevent one from practicing returning to dock without an engine, then confirming towing options would be a high priority. I pay for on-the-water towing insurance simply for the peace of mind that comes with it.

A useful book (if only to enjoy reading how others managed solo-sailing before the advent of modern technology) is the late Richard Henderson's Single Handed Sailing (1992, 2nd ed.). It has an extensive bibliography and very nice illustrations.
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, men, single