Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2004, 07:57   #1

Question selling a steelboat in AUS & NZL

Hello,

We would like to know what are the possibilities to sell a french 35 feet monohull steel boat (1978), in Australia or in New-Zealand.
The boat is in excellent condition, completely rebuilt and reequiped in 2004.
For more details, please check website : http://voyage.cephee.free.fr

You can contact us at voyage.cephee@free.fr,

Helene and Thomas
Old 22-12-2004, 11:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Are you asking "What is the market like" down here???
Answer.... Lots of boats for sale. Many sell, many don't. It depends on so many variables. But the end of the story is, if you have something someone wants, it will sell. If you don't it won't.
Are you travelling this way????
I can offer you contacts with several Boat Brokers down here in NZ that maybe able to help list your boat.

If this is just a general "For Sale" post, you may want to re-list this down the board under "For Sale".

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 10:10   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Be warned that if you take your boat to Aus and want to sell it there or even stay for a long time, the customs will want their pound of flesh. The following is relevant:

Your yacht will attract duty of 5% and GST of 10%.

The duty applies to the Customs Value

The GST is calculated on the Customs Value, the duty payable and the overseas freight and insurance costs/essential sailing costs.

For information on the Customs requirements for sailing your yacht to Australia go to the Customs Website ww.customs.gov.au select the option Travellers and then select Yachts arriving and departing.

You are even liable for this if immigrating to Australia, although all household effects are duty free (provided more than 6 months old) - I will not write down on here what I think about this cause it would probably get me into trouble with Gord, suffice it to say that I am not impressed!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 16:07   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Talbot and duties

I agree the duties and VAT/GST are a pain. Care to comment on the plight of the fellow that Sailed a Baba 30 to England and ran afoul of some seaworthyness rule.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 02:32   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Mike, you're referring to Ian...

...who, as a British citizen, sailed his Baba 30 into his old home town in England after departing British Columbia. His experience was the same as any owner of a non-EU boat who might want to sell their boat inside the EU. Instantly, it must comply with the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive). Ian's write-up on this episode was in a fall copy of Yachting Monthly.

The RCD worked exactly as planned, at least in Ian's case: it serves as an import barrier that prevents non-EU built boats from finding their way onto the EU boat marketplace. The EU folks in Brussels would tell us that the RCD was established for two reasons: to implement a standardized rating system (A thru E) that indicates the intended use to which the boat was built (inland lakes - E; offshore passagemaking - A), and to create common design and build requirements across the different countries and their very different builders. Ironically, every single boat everywhere in the EU was automaticalliy grandfathered into this scheme and exempted from having an RCD rating, while the next boat to come along - one like Ian's Baba 30 - must be inspected by an authorized EU inspector, even tho' the standards are not yet finalized. Ian has decided to get an 'E' rating because it's the only one that can be accomplished solely by the owner, and it will eliminate HM Customs threat of fining his thousands of pounds and being thrown in jail.

This episode is a good case study of how the EU works. They believe that the answer to many things, including trade barriers, is bureaucracy, relying on legislation and the regulatory process. My own impression is that this is one of the main reasons the EU will fail to be a significant world economy despite their increasing size. Coupled with the unsustainability of the wage scales and social programs in the W European countries, which are going to be forced to change, expect a lot of change in most of the EU countries over the next decade...which will only lead to more protectionism, I suspect.

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 21:21   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Baba 30

Jack, thanks for that. I have similar thoughts over here in BC Canada but then my day job in the financial business does cause me to pay attention to these things. I have to consider all this if I purchase a larger boat outside of BC, the US or NZ for example, but I will find out before I make a purchase. I brought a couple of motorcycles to England in 1971, I imagion that with todays rules that would not be possible.
Michael originally from Croydon
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 08:09   #7

OK,

Thanks everyone. It seems like a pain, I'll need to think about it.

I'm on the way to the Pacific, and just thinking, so I have time to find a solution, however, I am not too keen on bringing the boat back to France...

See you at sea, maybe.

Thomas