Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 09:22   #31

Boat: Catalina, C30 MK1 Std.
Re: Seller replaced ice chest w dorm fridge - should it bug me soo much?

I've had a dorm refrigerator in my C-30 for about 10 years and love it. I put a relay in so It runs off the inverter when the engine runs. I can also manually switch the refrigerator inverter to run off the main batteries when solar is charging. I ran the drain line to my shower drain pump and it works great.We cruise the Pacific North West
RJ 1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:26   #32

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Is it me or do these two pictures look like two different boats?
Yep, two boats.

OP's (potential) boat has the 'fridge port side of galley with the green cushions, a sister boat has the white cushions and an icebox in the counter.
Old 27-02-2021, 10:17   #33

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
if that is the only thing that is concerning you, I would suggest buy the boat and try it. You can always do something different in the future if the current fridge doesn't suit.

Pete
Yep, that sounds like a very low priority concern - kind of like passing up a good boat because you don't like the cushions
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:22   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 31

RJ 1946 makes a few good points:

1. Plan on a solar panel in the future if you don't already have one. They get cheaper every year.

2. Be sure you can run the compressor off the engine while motoring or just try to keep the batteries topped up.

On our older and therefore narrower 31, we managed to insulate the existing top-loading icebox with closed-cell canned foam and installed a small NovaKool compressor. It runs well off our single, 130 W solar panel and two house batteries (grp. 31) and uses very little energy. Unless we get a few foggy days in a row, we never run the engine to top up the batteries. We can even turn up the thermostat a bit to make ice cubes or store ice cream if we wish, though that may require sunny days or some motoring.

You may opt for smaller batteries in your 26 to save weight, but with proper insulation of a top-loading ice box, you'll probably not have to motor all that much to keep the batteries topped up.

A couple other thoughts:

1. Front loading fridges spill a lot of cold air each time you open the door, so converting to a top loader will save energy in the long run.

2. You could build a top-loading ice box easily enough with some homecenter formica, canned foam and plastic panels. You may even be able to find one that will fit in the space you have and finish it with formica.

3. Plumbing the drain is not all that complex. Maybe remember to keep the drain plugged most of the time so your cool air doesn't end up in the bilge, a significant cooling loss (thrust us, we know this).

4. You'll need a space for the compressor. We mounted ours on a small shelf in a cockpit locker and installed a small vent into the cabin for good air circulation.

5. Keep the fridge full. The food holds the cold.

The first summer after we converted our ice box to a fridge, we thought we had gone to yacht heaven. We can take off for a few weeks with no marina stops and not return until the food runs out. We always have cold drinks. Nice.

Nice boat you have there. We've admired many of that model over the years. Best off luck with your new float.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:35   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
if that is the only thing that is concerning you, I would suggest buy the boat and try it. You can always do something different in the future if the current fridge doesn't suit.

Pete
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 13:04   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Yep, that sounds like a very low priority concern - kind of like passing up a good boat because you don't like the cushions
Oh, you have met my wife

To the OP, t would be worth watching Sailing Uma on YT. I have lost count of the number of times they have changed their galley. Wouldn't mind but its only a 36ft yacht. Still the current design and scheme does look very good.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 13:12   #37

Boat: kelt 8.5

There are two really good comments and one Duh. First why didn't you check to see if the fridge is 12 volt. If it is problem solved. It will work fine for weekends and even a full week on the hook. Also need to check you battery power to make sure you have enough power to run the fridge at night and still have power to start the boat in the AM. If no 12 volt the go to plan B. Quick easy and very efficient is an Engel portable 40qt. They are efficient easy to handle use the least power and get beer real cold. The other solution is rebuild the ice box and refrigerate it. You can buy a danfoss compressor and evaporator plate and depending on how will you do the insulation you will be good to go. It not a very hard job. I cut out my old ice box, bought and igloo cooler and built it into the galley and added refrigeration and it works great. Never have to go for ice and I can make is as cold as I like.
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 14:26   #38

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblakenyc View Post
Keep looking at a posting for a Seafarer 26 and looks nice but ice chest was replaced with "dorm" fridge. I imagine this is nice for hanging out at the dock and maybe a day sail but just feels wrong to me.

Curious what you guys think. I suppose I could replace with a cooler or rebuild the ice chest...
I'd look for something you can stand up in with the hatches closed. My first boat was an O'Day 23, great boat but only 4' 6" headroom which gets REALLY old after a bit. As far as the fridge vs icebox: How long will you be away from shore power? Do you have a big enough battery bank to run a dorm fridge on an inverter?

Our 1985 Catalina 30 is a great boat, we stay on her for several days to a couple of weeks at a time. (But at the slip most nights.) We have a NorCold cooler conversion that runs on 12v or 110v. Handy for when we spend the day out and/or the night on the hook. We also have a mini (1.2 cu ft) fridge that is 110v only since a P.O. removed the oven and the wife does not want propane in the boat.

I'd be interested to know how your fridge opens. From the pictures it looks like the settee is right up against the door.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 16:28   #39

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Some time ago I chose a dorm fridge over various overpriced (to me) marine models. Cheap, easily replaceable, I'm not real concerned about power consumption. It runs off the engine, generator or shore power and if reasonably full stays cold without power overnight. Dorm freezer also handy, stays frozen over 24 hrs. Any problems, Amazon lprime is only 100-150 and a few days away.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 19:19   #40

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

My Pearson 30 came with an AC fridge, I leave water bottles frozen in the freezer, and lasts several days when not on AC. It makes itself a good cooler when away from AC. I use the original icebox for storage.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:28   #41

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblakenyc View Post
Looking for my first small cruiser (24'-32') for solo day, weekend and hopefully week long coastal cruising out of LI sound.

Keep looking at a posting for a Seafarer 26 and looks nice but ice chest was replaced with "dorm" fridge. I imagine this is nice for hanging out at the dock and maybe a day sail but just feels wrong to me.

Curious what you guys think. I suppose I could replace with a cooler or rebuild the ice chest...

Image of the boat:

Image of "intact" seafarer:
Ha, I did exactly the same thing on my boat. I had cold plates and the PO put a propane fridge in. I hated that thing so I took it out and replaced with a dorm fridge and a dorm freezer and I love them. The use so little power as I insulated them well. And they only run a few minutes every couple of hours at night when you dont open them. At 200 bucks versus 1500 for marine. I will buy new ones if they crap out. They have been in a couple years with no problems. Hope yours work out at well. Small battery and inverter is all it takes to run. Cheers!
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:21   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

could you describe how you added the insulation, please?

Jim
Old 05-03-2021, 12:30   #43

Two answers. 1 I found an igloo cooler that fit in the space where I cut out the original ice cooler that was on the boat. Since the igloo was already insulated it would have been fine but I shot foam (Great Stuff )around the cooler to insulate it even more since I am in FL and it does get hot in the cabin. I also added some fiberglass from Home Depot. If you have enough space you can buy insulation board that will also be great insulation and just cut it to fit or build a new box out the board insulation. the more the better
Old 05-03-2021, 12:36   #44

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^^

could you describe how you added the insulation, please?

Jim
Sure, I went and got the pvc foil back rigid insulation from home depot, I used a combination of 2 inch and 1/2 inch to cover the sides and top of the refers. As much as I could wedge in. I used the metal duct tape to attach it. I made sure to leave the back where the compressor is and I vent that into my engine room. I put an old computer fan to pull away the heat. In checking my power usage at 90 degrees F. I find that the freezer comes on for 12-15 minutes every 70-90 minutes at night when not opened. I pull 350 watts momentary inrush to start the compressor then only 65 watts while it is running.
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:54   #45

At 65 watts off 12 volt system you are drawing over 5 amps which seems pretty high since most unit run in the 2.5-3.5 amps area. How many cubic inches or ft is the fridge and what is the ambient temp in the cabin at night