Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 09:24   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Sailorchic...Inverter size to run dorm fridge?

Sailorchic... what size inverter are you using to run your 3.5 cf fridge mentioned in another post? (By the way, how is your rebuilt purple Yanmar performing?)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Sailorchic...Inverter size to run dorm fridge?

I'm using a 750 watt inverter. In theory a 450 watt inverter should work, but 750 watt does not have issues with inrush current.

I will most likely be updating my fridge to an Edgestar 3.1CF (from compact appliance), because it has a dedicated freezer that I hear will keep ice cream and because it lists amp draw at 0.8A. My old magic chef drew 1.4 amps when new. I think after 7 years it might be getting long in the tooth.

Of course amp draw is only part of the equation. We also need average hourly run time.

Purple, my yanmar still runs and starts up fine. I just knocked the rocks out of the discharge elbow again, just for fun and installed a new house bank.

Plus I now have a permanently attached boarding ladder (from ebay) that I can deploy from the water. So things are getting down right plush on the Rose.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 11:58   #3

Thanks Sailorchic. Enjoy the life.

Old 15-02-2015, 05:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
.................. Plus I now have a permanently attached boarding ladder (from ebay) that I can deploy from the water. So things are getting down right plush on the Rose.
Nancie and I have been looking for a boarding ladder to deploy from the water, but we're no good with the floppy rope ones and we've had the plastic steps break after UV damage leaving dangerously sharp edges. 'looking for successful examples!
Old 15-02-2015, 08:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I think your infos are not good enough for the titled and others who may be interrested.

Sizes:
82cm height 105L Fridge 21L Freeze A++ 142kWh/p.a. 394Wh/d = 33Ah/d 12V
185 cm height 229L Fridge 95L Freeze A+++ 155kWh/p.a. 425Wh/d = 35,5Ah/d 12V

Let me answer the questions arised:
IMPORTANT Check the efficency class of your Fridge/freezer as you see the difference A++ 126L and A+++ 324L is minimal but the size is more than double!

You should only use a compressor fridge on a boat (an absorber should always be near horizontal)

Inverter:
Best would be to ask the manufacturer about the initial current - if you are able to get the answer ;-) - I could not find someone at my manufacturer to answer that question so I decided to get a 1600W pure sinus(IMPORTANT!! - the compressor will not start on an about sine wave inverter... be carful lot of vendors cheat to sell cheap!)

Well I am quite sure a 1200W would have been enough but the difference was about 200 Euros so I decided to get the bigger one in spite of other appliances like PC, microwave, drilling machine...

Summit:
Yes I have a 230V Fridge/Freezer but it is really cheap and stupid.
a.) you open the front door and the cold drops out. On a boat you should always open the fridge/freezer on top!
b.) Mine is an A+ approx. 300L and I am sure the vendors lie on the consumption. I think I'am at about 70Ah/24hrs depending on how often I open the door.

So if you have to replace your cooling units complete consider a combination of
12V AND engine compressor plus storage plates (1/2 hr engine gives you 24hrs on the fridge without any problems and the engine should run an hour a day to feel good and the batteries have to be charged too!) Use top load units in your pantry 1 fridge and 1 freeze.

Cost lumpsums:
Inverter + common 230V fridge/freezer about 1500 Euros
Engine Kompressor, storage plates and top load units about 3500 to 4000 Euros
BUT you will have them 15 years as they are marine specials and top quality.

greez willi
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:57   #6

moseriw... If I read sailorchic's initial answer correctly, she seems to have already proven (over 7 years) that you can successfully run a 3.5 cf fridge on a 750 watt inverter without issues. Seems like a pretty cost effective solution, eh?

Old 15-02-2015, 10:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Nancie and I have been looking for a boarding ladder to deploy from the water, but we're no good with the floppy rope ones and we've had the plastic steps break after UV damage leaving dangerously sharp edges. 'looking for successful examples!

Here's the one I purchased from ebay. I have a low freeboard of about 30" so this works. Its a bit narrow, about 10" wide over all, but the price was right and the welds look good.

Marine Boat Foldable Stainless Steel 5 Steps Ladders w Rubber Grips 3 2 Steps | eBay
Old 15-02-2015, 10:42   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
moseriw... If I read sailorchic's initial answer correctly, she seems to have already proven (over 7 years) that you can successfully run a 3.5 cf fridge on a 750 watt inverter without issues. Seems like a pretty cost effective solution, eh?

I should note that I have 240 watts of solar and 400+ amps of batterys (total). The solar keeps the batteries up. 300 watts ish of solar would be nicer.
Old 15-02-2015, 11:25   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Here's the one I purchased from ebay. I have a low freeboard of about 30" so this works. Its a bit narrow, about 10" wide over all, but the price was right and the welds look good.

Marine Boat Foldable Stainless Steel 5 Steps Ladders w Rubber Grips 3 2 Steps | eBay
Sexy! er.. I mean great rungs!....... er...... I mean nice lines!

never mind, I didnt want to be a Pastor anyways..........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 14:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

3.5 cf fridge on a 750 watt inverter

Yes of course but you should not try to connect more than the fridge...
btw 240w (1100Wh/d) of Solar is a problematic statement... Solar modules are specified in WattsPeak and usually you can rely on not more than 33% of the Wp values. On the other hand 240Watts with 3 modules if you measure directly prior to the charger is not a problem - period...
So if you want 20A (240/12) permanent:
1m² gives you about 160Wp * 0,3 = 48W / 12 = 4A so you need 5m² to get your 20A
or you are always on the sunny side of life... 30% are for MidEurope...

but charging the batts will give you about 92Ah daily.

Well, I'am working with 440Wp (2020Wh/d) and expecting 14A * 12h 168Ah charge.

And Ahm sorry if some don't like my disbelief on my own fridge system but the professional solution is the engine compressor + 12V DC + 230/110V AC
Old 15-02-2015, 19:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
3.5 cf fridge on a 750 watt inverter

Yes of course but you should not try to connect more than the fridge...
btw 240w (1100Wh/d) of Solar is a problematic statement... Solar modules are specified in WattsPeak and usually you can rely on not more than 33% of the Wp values. On the other hand 240Watts with 3 modules if you measure directly prior to the charger is not a problem - period...
So if you want 20A (240/12) permanent:
1m² gives you about 160Wp * 0,3 = 48W / 12 = 4A so you need 5m² to get your 20A
or you are always on the sunny side of life... 30% are for MidEurope...

but charging the batts will give you about 92Ah daily.

Well, I'am working with 440Wp (2020Wh/d) and expecting 14A * 12h 168Ah charge.

And Ahm sorry if some don't like my disbelief on my own fridge system but the professional solution is the engine compressor + 12V DC + 230/110V AC
Most days I have my laptop and cell wifi thingy charging off the inverter mid day too. The fridge draws ~14 amps at 12.7-13v ish, when its running, but it only runs about 2-1/2 minutes every 14 minutes. My laptop will draw about 60 watts when charging the battery. I use it for autoCAD design.

While I have 240 watts listed solar, my measured peak output is about 170 watts, real life measurements. My average daily solar gain is about 65 amps. In typical sunny weather I get about 60% of rated capacity in the peak 11am- 3 pm hours.

The thing is for the budget cruiser, Hi that's me. I can have a small fridge and inverter for about $200 dollars that uses about the same AH per day as a $1000-$2000 marine system. Not counting batteries or solar as that you have in any case.

Being an engineer, I'll take simplistic systems and low life cycle cost pretty much any day.
Old 15-02-2015, 23:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Sailorchic...
Thank you for your valuable input. I think the cm's can figure out how to check and determine their system. Of course it works pretty well but I think one should be on the safe side - out in blue water.

So for me I will go in for the backup of the backup system and it has to be easy enough that anyone can handle it. So I have an 1,6Kw Victron inverter (marinized stuff) and glad to have it. Same with the chargers. And an oversized 6,5Kw Generator (was installed when I bought the boat)

BUT the electric layout was horrible so I decided to renew all 12V "Backbones" with 50mm² AWG 0 even the charger's wires. Totally oversized I know but I always want to be safest using SS A4 or better A5 on any screw. In spite of this it makes no sense for me to use parts that are not marinized... I have 2 Service Bilgepumps and a BigBoy doing 630cuft/h

That's the reason why I want an engine driven compressor + 12V + 230V for the fridge... (charging 1/2 hr on engine and no electric consumtion at all for 24hrs). Gives you more chances if something fails.

Of course not really important for coastal cruising but when you hop over the pond...
Old 16-02-2015, 10:12   #13

Hi Sailorchic
Will not get in the fridge story.....there are not too many options and I guess with Ur tech back ground U make the right choice for Ur situation
With the inverter I think it´s a bit more to analize. Don´t know Ur boat and concepts but enegry is an important feature that might go beyond the fridge wich is Ur priorty right now. So here is what I bought and why.
A combi inverter charger Victron Multi Plus.
With a quality PURE SINE WAVE inverter I can run also sensitive electronics like PC / TV etc.
Even so more money at first sight but all adds up. There are a lot of usefull features integrated. If U want them seperated it´s gona be more expensive. They all need space, have to be installed, wired and protected while here I get it all in one nice integrated unit with warranty from a manufacturer with good reputation....less faillure, less hassle
Should I need some repair in the future I will have service world wide.
In general problems with inverters produce a lot of headaches,no wireing diagram,no spares
There are some cheapos out there and U might think for the money I can buy several units but there are some situations were U might not want to be with out an inverter.
Have heard a lot of sad stories about the cheapos but many times the problem is also the people who use them. To be on the save side go over size.....gives U also option to use electric tools.
Do some in deph research on Victron for all additional features and compare what U get for the money from others.
Have AGM batteries right now but after research I´m convinced my next house bank will be Lithium. Asuming U are familiar with the tech problems in ref. take a look at Victron solutions... can be upgraded
In ref to solar U might want to add on in the future. Have seen cases where they add on temporary panels to the stationarys as needed and stash them away while navigating or at anchor or the other way around.
So keep Ur mind open. u will never have to much energy
Old 16-02-2015, 13:31   #14

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I have the Edgestar 1 cf freezer/refrigerator from Compact Appliance. Turned all the way cold it does indeed keep ice cream hard.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 16-02-2015, 13:53   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I have the Edgestar 1 cf freezer/refrigerator from Compact Appliance. Turned all the way cold it does indeed keep ice cream hard.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Edge star has a little dorm fridge with seperate freezer/ fridge compartments. I am thinking about that one.

BTW, to the previous poster, I do carry a backup inverter so when my cheap $50 inverter dies, I'll replace it with the backup and order another $50 backup. So far I've not needed it.

With solar, and being on the hook much of the time, a battery charger is not a high priority. I do have one and the little honda genny for rainy days. plus I can always run the engine to charge the batteries.

I'll probably get one more solar panel and make that one a mobile unit, that I can swap from side to side at anchor.. The new computer is a bit of an energy hog. But then it more the makes up for it, by being my income generator.

Tags
inverter, sail, size