Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 08:04   #61

Re: Sailboats that can be trailered easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
catalina 27 with centerboard
balboa 26 with centerboard
I have sailed from LA to Cabo and trailered one home
bsurvey where could I find a Catalina 27 with Centerboard? The internet doesn't seem to know about them.
fritz3000g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 10:05   #62

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26

I have a Chrysler 26 with swing keel on a trailer on Cape Cod if interested.
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 10:36   #63

Interesting! Never heard of a Chrysler 26, but it looks like a great and affordable boat with much of what I'm looking for. How do you feel like it handles in >6' waves?

I'm not looking to buy this year (waiting for the Subaru to die so we can get some more towing capacity).
Old 19-07-2019, 19:20   #64

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26

Hi,

I don't know, I am really a fair weather sailor. I don't think 6 ft waves would be a problem, but the wind that would create 6 foot waves might be.

I tow with my Tacoma which is rated for 6500 lbs, but I wouldn't go long distances with it. I do use a load leveling hitch.

Steve
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 22:16   #65

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I spent 18 years sailing a swing keel Catalina 25 on the Columbia River. Almost every summer we trailered her to the San Juan Islands for 2-4 week trips with the family. It's pretty roomy for a small family, took about 2 hours to rig (just my daughter and me, a gin pole, and a boom vang with a lot of line. The boat was great for what it was, but I'd be wary of saltwatet corrosion on the cable and rigging of the keel if left in salt for long periods. I sailed a bit in the Strait of Juan De Fuca, but always watched weather closely. This are NOT 'blue water' boats by any means, but trailerable with a full sized pickup, V8 engine probably. I actually owned it for 9 years, went to a 30'er for some time, then bought her BACK and called her "Encore" as we went around again. I never LOVED the boat for her looks, but I admired and respected her utility and practicality.....Finished 3rd in a 22 boat Catalina Nation Regatta, too, with wife and daughters as crew....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31   #66

Boat: Balboa 20

I got a Balboa 20 for $600 bucks and have put another $800 in and it is ready to go... Sleeps 4 but the cabin is sitting only plus only a space for a port-a-potty. Has a small water tank. Had to redo all the electrical but it is all done and all LED lights now. I refurbished the old switch panel with new switches, fuse holders and a new pilot light for the master switch BUT I added a modern fuse block and simple solar to keep it safe. Didn't come with a Spinnaker, only a Mainsail and a Genoa (they called it a Jib but it ain't). I need to get a regular jib, a storm jib and a Spinnaker (pole and sock too). I also need to have a dodger made that covers the companionway (the boom sits too low to make a Bimini anything but annoying since you already can't stand up in the cabin) The bottom line on the Balboa is: It's a tank! It'll never be worth what I am putting into it BUT that isn't why I bought it. It's already sailing, I've already overnight-ed in it and I will be vacationing in the Gulf with it.

Sail on!
kn6ll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 18:43   #67

Sounds like you got an awesome deal on that Balboa! Did you consider any other boat brands? If so was there a reason for the B besides price?

Thanks!

Going to see a C26 this week. Excited!
Old 08-09-2019, 18:54   #68

Boat: Balboa 20

Well honestly I was watching a McGregor 26s for a while but I 'watched' for a little too long and have decide I am kinda glad it went the way it did... The Balboa, though smaller, is built a little more rugged (they were overbuilding fiberglass hulls in the early 70s because they just didn't realize how durable it was) and the price was right. There was a pretty good sized (cradle sized) hole on the rear starboard side of the boat and I was able to glass it pretty easily without even cutting the thing out. I put the peel back then just primed it and laid about 5 layers of glass right over top of it. It ain't gonna break there again because the original fiberglass essentially went back into place with some prying and glassing both sides plus the primer makes 1/2' of glass there now. The boat had new rigging on it and everything leads to the cockpit so it is a solo dream even for a novice like me! The wiring and the running rigging was cheap to do and there is more money in the new rigging and all the new Harken hardware than I paid for it :-)
kn6ll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 20:48   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I think the key for the one looking for a boat that can be trailered easily is to look at something below 20’ with a fully retractable keel for easy launch and minimal comfort and water ballasts to keep overall weight down. I also want something sporty that sails fast and can carry quite a bit of sails on a beam or broad reach. I have been on a lookout for such a boat and found the perfect one, unfortunately, it’s made in France and not sold in the US. Click image for larger version

Name:	flow 19 - 50.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	213805
The FLOW 19 from Atelier Interface. Wood epoxy construction, boats weights a mere 1034lbs including its fully retractable 140lbs. 7.5” beam all the way to the transom and very large cockpit with ample storage. The trailer is around 500lbs so the all rig is around 1,600lbs and can be towed by a midsize car. Click image for larger version

Name:	flow 19 - 36.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	213806
Click image for larger version

Name:	flow 19 - 35.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	213807
Click image for larger version

Name:	flow 19 - 34.jpg
Views:	68