Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 19:21   #1

Boat: Hunter 27
Sail from Hudson Florida to Tampa

I just bought a 1979 hunter 27 and plan on taking it to Tampa and keep in at regatta point marina. Is it clear to sail up the intercostal with a draft of 4'3" ?
Chompnoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 00:23   #2

Re: Sail from Hudson Florida to Tampa

Yup. Plan on touching mud a few times. Try to do your transits on a rising tide. Extra prudence when that is not the case.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 00:32   #3

Thanks about how long is the ride?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompnoles View Post
Thanks about how long is the ride?
That really depends on where u r going, how fast you are going, how fast the wind or tide is going in the opposite direction. You will be motoring most of the way and have a few bridges to deal with.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Lol look out for that rock in the middle of the hudson channel. I heard the corps of engineers left it in the middle of the channel above controlling depth because they were only instructed to dredge sand not rock. Are you referring to Regatta point marina in Palmetto? I wouldnt count on too much sailing on the intracoastal, Not this time of year anyway. I know the ICW is pretty shallow near Johns pass No problems from there south.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19   #6

Best to just go out in the gulf and sail up to Tampa bay I guess jus a little Leary since I haven't sailed in about 10 years. If I'm traveling around 6 knots how long from Hudson to Tampa?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Its roughly 80 miles going outside, icw with bridges etc is longer, id suggest icw. To johns pass / Clearwater go outside there sail towards Bradenton , we cut between egmont and ft desoto it'll save you an hour, im guessing.12 hours minimum. Probably 13-14. Might be best to hook it for the night in clearwater and break it up in two days. Then you can relax a little take your time. I know a fantastic anchorage in clearwater close to the pass.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

As for time If I were you I would leave on a friday and plan on arriving on sunday. Maybe honeymoon Island and gulfport for overnite stays. Could easily be done in 24 hours or less on the outside making sure to arrive at the mouth of the river during daylight.If its in palmetto Id get out at passegrille or earlier and round the point at ft desoto in lieu of structure E, and the channel along the skyway. I travel the icw often between Johns pass and tampa bay for work reasons. fyi Treasure Island causeway on demand, Corey causeway on 20 min, Structure E on 30 min. From n to south your last 3 bridges.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I just bought a 1979 hunter 27 and plan on taking it to Tampa and keep in at regatta point marina. Is it clear to sail up the intercostal with a draft of 4'3" ?

Absolutely, but do study a paper chart. That Intracoastal probably isn't unique in this way, but there are some 90º turns in the channel that you*really* don't want to miss.

Regatta Pointe is located ideally. There are no bridges between you and the Gulf, and typically you can sail most of the river rather than motor (there are some places where the channel is narrow enough that the wind direction will have to be good.

Things to know about the Manatee River: the entrance is surrounded by VERY shallow water, and the channel itself isn't all that deep in some places. The waters there can get very rough in confused even in weather most here would call "moderate," so ... heads up.

Enter the channel on the south side, not the north side. Have your boat in good balance if it's rough. If I were you I would start the engine and have it in neutral.

Watch your depth sounder for signs of water getting shallower where you didn't expect it; the channel is shifting.

All along that stretch of coast, the south side of the channels is nearly always the deeper side. So when in doubt, go to the south side.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Yup. Plan on touching mud a few times. Try to do your transits on a rising tide. Extra prudence when that is not the case.

There should be no reason to "touch mud" with 4'3" draft, but use a leadline and make sure your depth sounder is reading accurately before you leave.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:09   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Best to just go out in the gulf and sail up to Tampa bay I guess jus a little Leary since I haven't sailed in about 10 years. If I'm traveling around 6 knots how long from Hudson to Tampa?

You'd better plan on two full days.

You will not be able to sail the whole way as the channel is very narrow in some places, but some sections are markedly sailable if the winds are kind.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
As for time If I were you I would leave on a friday and plan on arriving on sunday. Maybe honeymoon Island and gulfport for overnite stays. Could easily be done in 24 hours or less on the outside making sure to arrive at the mouth of the river during daylight.If its in palmetto Id get out at passegrille or earlier and round the point at ft desoto in lieu of structure E, and the channel along the skyway. I travel the icw often between Johns pass and tampa bay for work reasons. fyi Treasure Island causeway on demand, Corey causeway on 20 min, Structure E on 30 min. From n to south your last 3 bridges.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE -- don't try to do the Manatee River in the dark, especially the entrance. Also the final entrance to Regatta Pointe -- make absolutely sure you stay within the channel markers.
Old 10-08-2013, 13:36   #13

Thanks to everyone for the knowledge it is very much appreciated for my maiden sail after a 10 year break.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:14   #14

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
As for time If I were you I would leave on a friday and plan on arriving on sunday. ---
Bad juju to start a voyage on a Friday.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Bad juju to start a voyage on a Friday.

BAH. Bad juju to believe in bad juju.

More trips go badly that start on Friday because so many start on Friday.

Make lots of mistakes, but don't blame 'karma' or 'bad juju' or 'somebody stuck a pin in a chicken with your name on it.'

Recognize that you made a mistake, figure out what it was and don't do it next time (make some other mistake next time).

Tags
florida, Hudson, sail