Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17   #106

Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
No zhag, it's not different. I was going to explain this to you but common sense is lost on romantics.

Wealth does not offend poor people, just liberals.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Amen!

I'd also like to add that poverty doesn't breed criminals, lack of morals does. Look how many thieves there are on Wall St. They stole billions in TARP money and patted themselves on the back for being so smart. Poverty is just a convenient excuse for lack of morals. People are either honest or they aren't, and wealth or poverty is not the determining factor.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:43   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
No zhag, it's not different. I was going to explain this to you but common sense is lost on romantics.

Wealth does not offend poor people, just liberals.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app

speak for your own self when you insult folks.
there are no romantics nor liberals in my boat nor my life, only a-political human beings. i observe. i donot make the facts, i watch em.
stop making up facts to suit yourself, get up, leave your desk and come out into the real world before you ASSume all are just like you are.
average to below average troll, btw, not even good quality.
i am sure you can do better . rodlmffao
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:00   #108

The Nassau Harbor Club used to be our "go-to" marina in Nassau harbor. Peter, the dockmaster, was always helpful.

Unfortunately, the incident you describe has repeatedly occurred at the Nassau Harbor Club over the last several years. Many times. It appears that it is always the same guy who swims to the boat (apparently naked), boards at the swim platform, and enters the boat. We've been told that the police in Nassau know exactly who he is, and that he had been arrested many times before, and he is continually released. The m.o. is always the same, and the security guard is always asleep.

Last season (in the spring of 2015) friends of ours were docked at the Harbor Club. The same guy, we assume, entered their boat while they were sleeping, rummaged through their things, and stole cash. Our friend woke up and chased the guy, who jumped back in the water and escaped. The security guard was found asleep, hidden. Our friend then learned that the DAY BEFORE the exact same thing had happened to the Hatteras which was docked next to them.

You would think that the Harbor Club would have been able to solve this problem after multiple similar incidents over a number of years. Why not?

So, we no longer go to the Nassau Harbor Club. Certainly, cruisers need to be cautious in all of Nassau, and no one can be completely safe in any city. However, this past year we tried the Bay Street Marina, and can strongly recommend it. It is located just west of the two bridges. The docks are all new, and excellent. We stayed there several days and observed the security, which is present 24/7. In the evening each separate dock is gated and locked, and there is a security guard at each pier. I made it a point to observe them, and they were always present, alert, and walked up and down the dock assigned to them, all night. No security is 100% effective, but we felt very comfortable and safe while we were docked there. The management is well-organized, and very responsive. They can even arrange for a shuttle to take you to the excellent food store which is, ironically, just opposite the Harbor Club.
gma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:15   #109

People don't steal because they're poor,....they're poor because they steal.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:35   #110

Boat: Pearson 34-II

O.K.,
Let me see if I can collate the appropriate safety measures to be a
"cruiser."
1.) Never keep a boat in Bristol fashion. It will attract
thieves.
2.) Install steel cages on all entry points to your vessel.
Be certain to fiberglass the steel tracks into the hull
for a monocoque construction.
3.) Always donate your time to the community in any poor
areas you visit so you become well-liked and will not
be a victim of crime.
4.)Never blame the criminal for an act of theft, rape or
robbery since it's not his fault, it's yours for your money
and shiny boat.
5.) Don't blame marinas for crimes committed on their property.
It wasn't their fault that their watchman was sleepy or
didn't perform the duties of his job. It's your fault because
you weren't caged properly in your slip or you forgot to
lock a hatch.
6.)If you are a victim of crime, don't report it to the police
because the people are poor, lack education and good jobs
and are not responsible for their actions. It's society's fault
(that means you) not theirs. See also #4 above
7.)Anywhere in the world is a cruising area if you are open-
minded: Haiti, Libya, Somalia, Venezuela, Yemen, Syria,
etc.,etc., etc. Just follow the above rules and you'll be
fine. It won't happen to you in your well-caged, half-derelict
looking vessel with its New Age missionary cruisers that sing
Kumbaya, Kumbaya to the awaiting throngs of love-starved
indigenes who just want your friendship, not your money or
your life . . .
Oh, Mein Gott! Can any rational person actually believe this? If we consider the previous responses to this thread the answer, sadly, is yes. Good luck and safe(?) sailing.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:45   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's completely not blaming the victim, it's about being responsible from your end, and minimizing the opportunity. In regards to not traveling any where there is potential problems or violence, well maybe you should just stay in the great Lakes and not go cruising else where, as safe as most places are there is a inherent risk that comes with cruising. Ive only recently adopted the security door idea, I don't see it as altering my behavior a great deal, I don't see it as the bad guy wins and I do see it as a deterent regarding petty crime.
The blaming the victim thing is just blowing Marks post out of context, in a perfect world there is no risk of crime, cruising is not a perfect world. One of the great things about cruising is the level of self responsibility individuals learn, that can be applied here without excusing the thiefs behavior.
Hey, I've been one of these victim's and it's a lesson that I've learned, as I'm not a victim.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Another informed poster with no biography or boat? And, a philosophical retort about self-responsibility that has nothing to do with being an unwilling victim of crime? I have never met a true victim of a serious crime that was not forever changed by the experience. Self-responsibility? Give me a break.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:47   #112
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
O.K.,
Let me see if I can collate the appropriate safety measures to be a
"cruiser."
1.) Never keep a boat in Bristol fashion. It will attract
thieves.
2.) Install steel cages on all entry points to your vessel.
Be certain to fiberglass the steel tracks into the hull
for a monocoque construction.
3.) Always donate your time to the community in any poor
areas you visit so you become well-liked and will not
be a victim of crime.
4.)Never blame the criminal for an act of theft, rape or
robbery since it's not his fault, it's yours for your money
and shiny boat.
5.) Don't blame marinas for crimes committed on their property.
It wasn't their fault that their watchman was sleepy or
didn't perform the duties of his job. It's your fault because
you weren't caged properly in your slip or you forgot to
lock a hatch.
6.)If you are a victim of crime, don't report it to the police
because the people are poor, lack education and good jobs
and are not responsible for their actions. It's society's fault
(that means you) not theirs. See also #4 above
7.)Anywhere in the world is a cruising area if you are open-
minded: Haiti, Libya, Somalia, Venezuela, Yemen, Syria,
etc.,etc., etc. Just follow the above rules and you'll be
fine. It won't happen to you in your well-caged, half-derelict
looking vessel with its New Age missionary cruisers that sing
Kumbaya, Kumbaya to the awaiting throngs of love-starved
indigenes who just want your friendship, not your money or
your life . . .
Oh, Mein Gott! Can any rational person actually believe this? If we consider the previous responses to this thread the answer, sadly, is yes. Good luck and safe(?) sailing.
So Far.. So Good...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:06   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gma4.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:35   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
speak for your own self when you insult folks.
there are no romantics nor liberals in my boat nor my life, only a-political human beings. i observe. i donot make the facts, i watch em.
stop making up facts to suit yourself, get up, leave your desk and come out into the real world before you ASSume all are just like you are.
average to below average troll, btw, not even good quality.
i am sure you can do better . rodlmffao
Yowza!

Another hate filled vitriolic post from she who claims to be at one with the world, and locals.

It's amazing how you are so perceptive and know everything about anyone who doesn't agree with you. All hail the internet psychic and psychoanalyst.

I sometimes wonder why some people can't simply discuss a topic without hitting the afterburners instantly and going straight for the personal insults, which contain a lot of assumptions, ironically. It's just this sort of behavior that destroys any credibility that you may have had, your extreme bias and gross generalizations completely overshadow any semblance of rational thought or coherent discussion.

Peace be with you, it appears that something is troubling you.
Old 06-02-2016, 13:37   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma4 View Post
The Nassau Harbor Club used to be our "go-to" marina in Nassau harbor. Peter, the dockmaster, was always helpful.

Unfortunately, the incident you describe has repeatedly occurred at the Nassau Harbor Club over the last several years. Many times. It appears that it is always the same guy who swims to the boat (apparently naked), boards at the swim platform, and enters the boat. We've been told that the police in Nassau know exactly who he is, and that he had been arrested many times before, and he is continually released. The m.o. is always the same, and the security guard is always asleep.

Last season (in the spring of 2015) friends of ours were docked at the Harbor Club. The same guy, we assume, entered their boat while they were sleeping, rummaged through their things, and stole cash. Our friend woke up and chased the guy, who jumped back in the water and escaped. The security guard was found asleep, hidden. Our friend then learned that the DAY BEFORE the exact same thing had happened to the Hatteras which was docked next to them.

You would think that the Harbor Club would have been able to solve this problem after multiple similar incidents over a number of years. Why not?

So, we no longer go to the Nassau Harbor Club. Certainly, cruisers need to be cautious in all of Nassau, and no one can be completely safe in any city. However, this past year we tried the Bay Street Marina, and can strongly recommend it. It is located just west of the two bridges. The docks are all new, and excellent. We stayed there several days and observed the security, which is present 24/7. In the evening each separate dock is gated and locked, and there is a security guard at each pier. I made it a point to observe them, and they were always present, alert, and walked up and down the dock assigned to them, all night. No security is 100% effective, but we felt very comfortable and safe while we were docked there. The management is well-organized, and very responsive. They can even arrange for a shuttle to take you to the excellent food store which is, ironically, just opposite the Harbor Club.
Welcome to CF, GMA4, and thank you for an excellent post!
Old 06-02-2016, 14:23   #116

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

I've got an idea!

Everybody tape a $20.00 bill to the back of their boat then the thief will just take that and leave.

No harm No foul...

Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:38   #117

Boat: islandpacket

That would be like feeding the birds.
Old 06-02-2016, 15:30   #118

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Another informed poster with no biography or boat? And, a philosophical retort about self-responsibility that has nothing to do with being an unwilling victim of crime? I have never met a true victim of a serious crime that was not forever changed by the experience. Self-responsibility? Give me a break.
Lol....maybe you should read my post again, and try to with a open mind. If you read that I'm blaming the victim you are wrong. If you read I haven't been a victim of crime you are wrong. My point, if not stated correctly the first time is this , one can take some action from his/her end to limit the opportunity given to the criminal. It won't always prevent crime but it surely can better the odds of you not being a victim.
And you seem to be implying that I don't have a boat and don't cruise? Lol. Maybe my "philosophical views"if that's what you called them come from being on a boat in real places , amongst real people that don't have much, and just maybe reality has shown me that I can be a little bit safer by being a little more aware of the environment I'm in. I should also add very few places I've cruised have felt threatening although they are often 3rd world's countries.
Cheers Dale.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:12   #119

Boat: Catalina 470

Rognvald, when originally posted, "serious crime "hadn't been mentioned. We were discussing petty theft, more precisely someone entering a boat and stealing. That has happened to me and I could have prevented it by following Marks suggestion. In regards to "serious crime" I left a marina in the Philippines last year 1 and half weeks prior to 10 armed militants raiding the place and kidnapping 4 people, two of whom I know!
Now that is serious life changing crime for the victims. Sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time and crime is fully forced upon you. But in regards to theft as we have spoken about it here you actually can take some action to prevent or reduce the risk.
Hope this has cleared up my point of view for you.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:26   #120

"And you seem to be implying that I don't have a boat and don't cruise? Lol. Maybe my "philosophical views"if that's what you called them come from being on a boat in real places , amongst real people that don't have much, and just maybe reality has shown me that I can be a little bit safer by being a little more aware of the environment I'm in. I should also add very few places I've cruised have felt threatening although they are often 3rd world's countries." DaleTournier

Dale,
I always find it interesting when people post on CF as an anonymous person with no biographical details and no mention of a boat. What's the secret? It may help others understand your perspective better and your choices and past experiences. To some, it gives you validity. Further, I am not advocating carelessness in cruising but rather promoting the idea that people should avoid places with a history of crimes against the person and choose those places that are receptive to us. I don't feel comfortable cruising with an intelligent, attractive, 115 lb female that unwittingly could be exposed to the potential of real violence that may change our lives and relationship forever. For what reason? To tell others at the weekly geriatric beach volleyball match what potentially dangerous places we have visited? To add another scout badge to my vest? "My what an interesting person you are, Rognvald! You've been so many places!" I can assure you, Dale . . . if you take a chimpanzee around the world and visit 60 countries . . . is he any less a chimpanzee when he returns? Finally, I would like you to define the "real places" and "real people" you describe above. Are those people I have met in my life mere hallucinations, holograms, depictions of a delusional mind, acid flashbacks? Or, perhaps, do we all experience the world through our own eyes and perspective where all human experiences are genuine and not graded on a Stanford-Binet scale. Burglar bars, caged hatches, breathing hard in a sweaty cabin? Sorry, Dale. That's just not my concept of cruising. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
bed, nassau