Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2014, 05:21   #1

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Rise in global crime and violence

Hi Folks

I dont get involved on the forums as I used to and so what appears to me to be a rise in crime and violence related posts has been obvious, - unless ive come aboard on a particularly bad week?

Im very active in other online political areas so im more aware than most people as to the way the world seems to be headed, - but with that comes the danger that some days all I see is evidence of crime, violence and hatred.

Am I to believe this is a growing trend in the cruising/vacation/sailing/live aboard also?

The perennial topic of guns seems to rear its head every so often when a noobie sailor joins the site and that wont ever change, but are anchorages and destinations becoming less safe generally?
Old 26-01-2014, 05:35   #2

Re: Rise in global crime and violence

I'm not so sure about cruisers but from what I can gather after doing some reading is that the world is safer than its ever been BUT the communication has never been better so we are aware of crimes like we have never been before in the past. Fear is something that the media use to sell and all Governments use to control, well religions too I guess but when you compare crime stats its never been safer.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:11   #3

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Robert brings up a good point...we are made aware when someone stubs a toes in China with the instant information access most of us now have. We are aware of a violent act taking place just about anywhere in the world very quickly. It may be that there is actually no more prevalence of violence.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think the world is hopefully a lot safer as thankfully maybe we won't have WWIII for a little while yet, but personal safety seem to have gotten worse. There is more violent crime here where I live, or at least the violent crime has moved into the "Burbs" where it used to not be.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Unfortunately, there is money to be had by criminals in "the burbs" and they always seek easy money.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rise in global crime and violence

Rise in populations = rise in crimes..
Castrate them and kill off the gene pool...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:56   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
BUT the communication has never been better so we are aware of crimes like we have never been before in the past.

If you weren't reading sailing/cruising forums, how much crime against cruisers would you ever hear about?
Old 26-01-2014, 07:03   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'

Are we talking real crime? Or loud obnoxious music assaults? How about fashion crimes? Or cheating at cards? Sorry, I know it is a serious problem. Sometimes I can't help myself.
Old 26-01-2014, 07:11   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you weren't reading sailing/cruising forums, how much crime against cruisers would you ever hear about?

None, I don't get broadcast TV in my house, and don't get a newspaper
Old 26-01-2014, 07:21   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i hear only about the stuff going on in estado guerrero because i have telcel and they update mexican news...as for usa...is always same same except addition of police state tactics against civilians and goggies etc....
as for world safety..is a delusion, only a delusion. we are only as safe as we practice, which means,, do not be a victim. do not show wealth. do not keep high profile. do not travel in unsafe areas........lol just as before.
Old 26-01-2014, 07:57   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm not sure how you would propose to answer this question here anjou. Anecdotal reflections of what's in front of each responder's world is probably not that useful. Unless you are headed to a particular location, in which case hearing from someone on the ground is very useful.

I could point you to the latest UN report: "World crime trends and emerging issues..."

From the report:
"Data from 2011 on property-related crime, violent crime and drug-related crime confirm trends observed over the past 17 years. Levels of property crime continue to slowly decrease, while drug-related crime continues to increase (see figure 1). Average trends with regard to violent crimes are stabilizing, with different patterns seen in different regions.

I really think Robert nailed it directly. Crime is going down almost everywhere, but enhanced communications, combined with the increasing loudness of those who sell fear, are making it seem otherwise.

If you look at the report you see that all broad trends are heading down; all except drug-related crimes, which are on a steep upswing. Of course, that's not to say there aren't some areas are not getting worse. And perhaps (speculation alert here!) there is a correlation between where rich westerners (cruisers) go, and crime. Hmmmm....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overall crime trends.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	74698  
Old 26-01-2014, 08:11   #12

Crime overall is slowly decreasing.

The following is only tangential to the topic of global crime (or cruiser crime), but it underscores how a conscious global effort to eradicate poverty and disease brings dividends, not only in lowering crime rate but in other areas as well.

It has a particular answer for all you worried Malthusians: there's proof that improved conditions cause a marked lowering of the birth-rate.

Anyway it's a good read.

The 2014 Gates Foundation Annual Letter
Old 26-01-2014, 08:30   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I think if you could estimate the world wide cruiser population and then index the violent crimes against cruisers per capita, it would be on par or surpass the most dangerous countries and cities.
Old 26-01-2014, 08:35   #14
cruiser

I'd say less in some areas and more crime in others, just depends on where you are. More communication via news and internet means more awareness, and ways to gain knowledge on how to best protect yourself and be ready.

Violence increased last week in St. Lucia against cruisers, maybe this week it's down in the same harbor because of all the media coverage. You just never know, so it's better to be ready just in case... and not bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen, or can't happen to you.
Old 26-01-2014, 08:39   #15

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Ok, so it looks like there is no problem, all stats are well within limits and the trend is downwards

In that case, im gonna stick my head back up my ass and see y'all same time next year for another update.

In the mean time folks, y'all have a good time, calm seas, fair winds, keep your ammo dry (or not if your a liberal wannabe victim), tight lines, keep calm and carry on cruising.

Tags
enc