Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 13:41   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Reliable Custom Deck Hatch Supplier?

Like an idiot, I made trapezoidal cut outs in my foredeck to maximize the size of the hole to get through up there to the sail lockers.

Now that I’m changing hatches because of the failure of my flush hatches, I need to purchase an off-the-shelf hatch that fits. There doesn’t appear to be trapezoidal hatches of the size/shape I need.

So, does anyone know the right place to get custom deck hatches?

I need somewhere reliable that’s not going to make me wait six months to receive them.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 13:46   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Reliable Custom Deck Hatch Supplier?

Can you either find a bigger square frame and amplify the shorter end of the trapezoid, or the other way around and add to the deck to cover the hole so it fits the hatch. Either way you can minimize any viewable change in surface by applying nonskid pattern around the hatch
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 13:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Can you either find a bigger square frame and amplify the shorter end of the trapezoid, or the other way around and add to the deck to cover the hole so it fits the hatch. Either way you can minimize any viewable change in surface by applying nonskid pattern around the hatch
No. My dimensions are awful:

Starboard Fwd Hatch
20 1/2 " Athwartship Aft
12 1/2 " Athwartship Fore
24 1/4 " Fore-Aft

Port Hatch Fwd
20 1/2 " Athwartship Aft
12 1/4 " Athwartship Fore
24 1/8 " Fore-Aft

I can’t really make the cut out any smaller because nobody will be able to get in there. And I can’t make it any bigger because it will exceed the beam of the hull.

I have extremely fine hulls at the bow. Razor type. Part of the secret to speed.

Those dimensions are actually as large as the cut out can get. And if it gets any smaller, no one can get into the thing because it will be closer to 12 inches if it goes rectangle.
Old 14-06-2022, 14:43   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Got any pictures of the current setup (both open and closed)? That might give some ideas of what could easily be mounted there, or an easy way to make a hatch that will keep water out effectively.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 15:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Got any pictures of the current setup (both open and closed)? That might give some ideas of what could easily be mounted there, or an easy way to make a hatch that will keep water out effectively.
As far as picturing it, the easiest thing to do is just picture a trapezoid that is narrow at the Bow and wide at the stern. It has the dimensions in my last post. And it has radiused corners. It’s just a hole in the deck.

There is a lip/gutter below the deck level with some tubes that clog up all the time. The idea is to use none of that and just put a regular low profile deck hatch up there instead. Mounted on a trim ring. That will prevent water from entering the compartment and get the job done quickly.

If building anything is a possibility, I would like to do it without any deck penetrations whatsoever.

One thing I’ve always been very weak on is hinges and latches.
Old 14-06-2022, 18:08   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I wonder... Could you glass a flange onto the existing hatch to seal against the deck with a gasket? Then the existing drainage would stay dry unless the gasket leaks (and any leakage shouldn't bring enough dirt to clog the drains). That wouldn't involve any new holes, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 18:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I wonder... Could you glass a flange onto the existing hatch to seal against the deck with a gasket? Then the existing drainage would stay dry unless the gasket leaks (and any leakage shouldn't bring enough dirt to clog the drains). That wouldn't involve any new holes, etc.
Ah, there are no holes. No hardware. It was just the deck cutout from the hole tossed in there to be the lid.

I’d rather never have to deal with this again. Just like the windows. Too much work into them.

I just want to entomb the area with a real, raised hatch to first, run the water off the area by default, then second, not rely on a gasket other than for splashes.

I just need a good custom hatch maker. The other 2 similar holes aft leading into the engine rooms can use off the shelf hatches.

Tags
deck, hatch