Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 15:29   #1

Boat: Leopard 42
Recommended contractors, and support

We have recently purchased a Leopard 42 and are in the process of getting her ready to take to the Caribbean for three years. While we have encountered some challenges getting her fitted out we have also met some wonderful contractors and support staff. I would have appreciated a good recommendation when we started, so if you will indulge me I would like to pass on some excellent references so you don't make some of the same mistakes we did.

Our main refit was done in Sturat, FL which is cheaper than Ft Lauderdale and has all of the required services.

Insurance Broker - Anthony Ballinger. Outstanding service and worked hard on our behalf.

Falvey Yacht Insurance - Linda Arnold. We put in a claim two weeks after buying the boat (less than ideal) and they supported us every step of the way. An excellent company.

Brian Stetler - Surveyor. Honest and thorough and had our interests all the time.

RJ Marine - Cheryl Baker. Will get you electronics and install them providing service and honest opinion, a fabulous resource.

Chapman's Marine. Very helpful and got unique parts quickly.

SA Sea Services - Steve Evans. The best and most honest mechanic I have ever met. Very responsive and his wife will get you the parts you need. Called us several times to follow up and see how systems were working.

Atlantic Canvas Company - Janelle. Did lots of canvas work for us and kept coming back until it was done right. A perfectionist and very reasonable.

Seamaid Boat lettering - Pam. Great product at a reasonable price.

Hinckley boat yard in Stuart - Barry. Initially told they were expensive and for the service and response they provide, they were a bargain. Sorted out another yards mistake quickly and tested it thoroughly.

Loggerhead Marina in Stuart. Quiet clean and friendly. Great staff and elegant facilities.

Nguyen Boat refinishing - Dan. Repainted the boat and we have received compliments and good reviews on the job. Returned to touch up a few spots the same day I called. Very happy with the final product.

I hope this may help some of you find the right person for the job without the trial and error of our experience. They really were a silver lining to a sometimes dark and frustrating cloud.

Happy sailing.

Robin
Frozen Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract, men