Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2023, 10:36   #106

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: "Reality" Youtube Sailing Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
What are your thought on switching over to the saildrive unit?

I think they are kinda dumb as they are a pretty big drag when not in use. Pretty sure their popularity has to do with manufacturing convenience.
I don't see how sail drives would have significantly more drag than standard props.

I've been thinking about going electric, given the cost of rebuilding my diesel. I'd been seriously considering installing electric pod drives, but I've decided on outboards.

Outboards have strengths and weaknesses, and they simply won't work on a lot of cruising boats. But they will work on mine, and lack of drag is one of their advantages.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 10:40   #107

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
I am confused. Is this a comment on YouTubers or the solar panel?
It was a comment on sail drives. Saildrives have perhaps moderately more drag than shaft drive with a strut.

The drag of a fixed prop is much larger in both installations.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 11:22   #108
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: "Reality" Youtube Sailing Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
I am confused. Is this a comment on YouTubers or the solar panel?
The saildrive methinks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 11:46   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackman View Post
All of these channels start off really interesting, then they get into sponsorships and become sort of fake...in my opinion. I don't really enjoy watching any of them anymore unless they are in a particular area that I want to see.
Sort of fake? lol

That's like saying the sun sort of comes up every day.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 15:33   #110

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
So I get an occassional email update.
A follow-up:

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 15:59   #111

Boat: Macgregor 25

I just saw that. Someone in the comments made reference to Atticus and their "hard decision" to get a new boat. Personally, I think that Atticus was a matter of their Youtube revenue getting high enough to afford a fancy newer boat and they played it up to make it sound like they had no choice in the matter. That was roughly the time their channel started being less interesting to me personally and became more of a 20 minute commercial each week.

My opinion of the Uma situation is that Uma is at the place where they can afford a much nicer boat as well and so they are in the process of justifying it to their followers. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad tactic, because no matter how you look at it, this isn't actual reality. It's "reality based" entertainment and so of course they'll add a bit of drama for the sake of getting views and engaging their audience.

True reality is pretty boring to watch.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 16:11   #112

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo George View Post
True reality is pretty boring to watch.
Barry, of the "Old Sea Dog" is about as close to true reality as I've found.
His episodes generally have a mix of "The good, the bad, and the ugly".
But he's never, (for me,) been boring.
Old 17-03-2023, 16:19   #113

Boat: Macgregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Barry, of the "Old Sea Dog" is about as close to true reality as I've found.
His episodes generally have a mix of "The good, the bad, and the ugly".
But he's never, (for me,) been boring.
There will always be exceptions, of course. I just mean that even a channel that doesn't embellish anything will still sort through hours of video to put together 15 minutes that's worth watching. To that degree you're only sampling reality at which point it becomes reality based instead of true.

Or at least that's how I see it. I became a bit jaded on the subject of "reality entertainment" after working with the History channel on a couple of projects...

I'm also not saying it's a bad thing to spin things for the sake of entertainment. I'm simply saying you have to take that into consideration and not expect everything you see to be the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 17:17   #114

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
There will always be exceptions, of course.
Understand, yeah, I know what you mean.
Barry, (Old Sea Dog,) is one of those sailors with whom you can commiserate over his misfortunes.
Old 17-03-2023, 18:20   #115

Quote:
I tend to agree, but I don’t have enough real experience to have a strong opinion on their drive. I would have thought that converting the existing drive to electric would have been a better option than converting it to a sail drive, but their new drive generates power while sailing so maybe it’s more reasonable than I think. I really don’t know.

They did convert the existing diesel to electric using a forklift motor. This served them for years before they installed the saildrive with integral electric motor. Don't see why they couldn't have just swapped over to a better motor that would also have regen capability and kept the original drive configuration.

My problem with a saildrive, besides its increased drag is that it requires a 90 degree power transfer. And these cost at least a few percent in efficiency.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 21:15   #116

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post

Chasing Lattitudes- He does put out good info for a certain type of buyer, someone with a few bucks looking for a turnkey boat.

What I don't like is his condescending know it all attitude concerning older boats. He goes on and on about LOA/LWL ratios and how a newer 32 has more room than an old 42. He thinks anyone sailing an older full keel boat is an idiot. He absolutely refuses to acknowledge that those older boats actually do have advantages over newer production boats. He bleats on and on about how longer passage times cost money. That is is all about getting where you want to get as fast as possible.

To this line of thinking I saw "why in the hell do you even have a sailboat"?

And the latest thing I have been seeing is that he takes potshots at other channels. Most seem aimed at Lady K.

I understand he does this because they both cater to those looking to buy, but jeeeze, just do your damn podcast and stop being a douche.

Lady K is a tool who thinks all boats should be Catalina and anything else is not worthy.

"What is the best sailboat to buy"? Catalina....

"What is the best keel type?" Anything on a Catalina...

"What is the best breed of dog?" Any dog named Catalina..

"Are Cape Dory good boats?" If you put a rudder on it from a Catalina...
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 21:33   #117

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
I would say you are absolutely right about that!

For years I busted my butt driving a truck running all over the country, I got to where I could buy a boat, and it just so happens that I was able to land a Spencer 42 which is a really good boat.

Even though I did the work, I made the money, I sacrificed to have this, and bought it at the age of 34, I had old salts who would get straight up jealous when they would see what I had.

It is amazing how many people were rooting for me to fail, or how many wanted to claim that I was using daddy's money or what ever else.

The reality is, there are a lot of people out there who manage their money terribly, can't save a damn dime, and will never have a boat because they are dreaming about it not doing it.

You and I have gone and done it, no one can take that away from us, and for those who have not and wish they could, that is why so many get so butt hurt over what we are doing.

Personally I would have liked to see you continue with your channel, you made good videos, they got better over time, I think had you kept doing it that you would have gotten much bigger doing it.

But that is up to you.

42 foot boat and you're wresting a hank on sail. I like it! Props to you.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 05:07   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Lady K is a tool who thinks all boats should be Catalina and anything else is not worthy.

"What is the best sailboat to buy"? Catalina....

"What is the best keel type?" Anything on a Catalina...

"What is the best breed of dog?" Any dog named Catalina..

"Are Cape Dory good boats?" If you put a rudder on it from a Catalina...

Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat a Catalina.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 07:32   #119
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Stop complaining about the YouTubers.

Just give them your money - they need for more expensive yachts. Plus, they are tremendously talented. Very few people can sail around, use a video camera, show some T&A, and edit videos. Plus, if you subscribe, they will communicate with you and pretend to be your friend or surrogate family member in return for your money. Now, that's a great deal! Especially if you are lonely and have no friends or family members who like you!
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 08:55   #120

Boat: 1968 Venture 21

I am surprised no one mentioned (unless I missed it) channels like Boatworks Today and OffCenterHarbor. Both channels are really helpful for a fiberglass and boat restoration rookie.

Boatfittings has a fantastic intro to building a DC electrical system. Hope he keeps building on these videos.
fsuklee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing