Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2023, 17:28   #91

Re: "Reality" Youtube Sailing Channels

My current favorite is probably Sam Holmes.

From his ever present grin, no matter what ****-storm he is in the middle of, to his fabricating skills he is a joy to watch. I am hoping he takes his free Bayfield 29 across the pond to visit his Cape Dory 28.

I actually think the new free boat might be better suited for single handed circumnavigating.

Others I watch-

Capt' Q- Such a nice old gent, who is a wealth of knowledge. Got to meet him and Ran-day last summer in Newport and went for a sail on a 12 meter. He and Randy are every bit as nice in person.

Lady K- I really like Tim and he is a good source for those shopping for old boats.

Uma-Dan and Kika are very talented. The job they have done taking an old wreck of a P36, turning it into a modern marvel is just amazing. But, I think Uma is getting to the point where there really isn't much left to do.

My hope is they sell her and get a bigger clean slate to work their magic on and maybe getting working on a little Dan/Kika. Kind of like my next channel.

Sailing Atticus- I really enjoyed watching what they did to bring an old Allied Seawind? back from the brink. Now they got a fancy new(er) PS40 which doesn't really need much at this point, which kind of makes the channel boring, but I commend them for starting a family while cruising.

Next is a channel I watch a fair bit, but lately this guy has been annoying me.

Chasing Lattitudes- He does put out good info for a certain type of buyer, someone with a few bucks looking for a turnkey boat.

What I don't like is his condescending know it all attitude concerning older boats. He goes on and on about LOA/LWL ratios and how a newer 32 has more room than an old 42. He thinks anyone sailing an older full keel boat is an idiot. He absolutely refuses to acknowledge that those older boats actually do have advantages over newer production boats. He bleats on and on about how longer passage times cost money. That is is all about getting where you want to get as fast as possible.

To this line of thinking I saw "why in the hell do you even have a sailboat"?

And the latest thing I have been seeing is that he takes potshots at other channels. Most seem aimed at Lady K.

I understand he does this because they both cater to those looking to buy, but jeeeze, just do your damn podcast and stop being a douche.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 17:53   #92

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Uma-Dan and Kika are very talented. The job they have done taking an old wreck of a P36, turning it into a Uma-Dan and Kika are very talented. The job they have done taking an old wreck of a P36, turning it into a modern marvel is just amazing. But, I think Uma is getting to the point where there really isn't much left to do.

My hope is they sell her and get a bigger clean slate to work their magic on and maybe getting working on a little Dan/Kika. Kind of like my next channel.
I was a Patreon supporter of Sailing Uma for a bit. They have some good stuff in their "Vault".

So I get an occassional email update.

The latest:
Quote:
First things first, a bit of an exclusive inside scoop on what’s been happening the last few days in the UMAVERSE…

After pushing of a major project for years —as it involves ripping out EVERYTHING we’ve ever done, we had a hard look and deep discussion about Uma’s future, and wether or not it would be worth going forward with this. And, because you are a former Umanian, we want to let you in on this exclusive news.

Let’s just say, we’ve decided that Uma’s journey isn’t over yet. Our 50yr old home has taken us to the North Pole and back, and with that journey, she has been slowly falling apart. But, we do love our little boat, and we want to at least try to give her a new life. In other words, we are about to embark on what will become the BIGGEST BOAT PROJECT we’ve ever done.
So they may be moving in your direction.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 18:32   #93

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
My current favorite is probably Sam Holmes.
From his ever present grin, no matter what ****-storm he is in the middle of, to his fabricating skills he is a joy to watch.
Capt' Q- Such a nice old gent, who is a wealth of knowledge. Got to meet him and Ran-day last summer in Newport and went for a sail on a 12 meter. He and Randy are every bit as nice in person.
Ha ha, If they gave out "MacGyver Awards" Sam would be first in line.
I've followed him thru the years and never know if to laugh or cry at his "Disaster in waiting" fuel and electrical systems.
I'm sure an accredited surveyor would have a heart attack looking at his Cape Dory 28.
Yes, Capt' Q is the real deal.
While many might find him an "Old school stick in the mud" sailor, the guy clearly knows a thing or three about boats/sailing and those with less experience would do well to listen to him.
A 12 Meter?
The best daysailor ever.
Old 16-03-2023, 19:32   #94

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I was a Patreon supporter of Sailing Uma for a bit. They have some good stuff in their "Vault".

So I get an occassional email update.

The latest:

So they may be moving in your direction.
I’ve finally given up on them. These guys (specifically Dan) drives us up the wall. Everything is “absolutely beautiful/gorgeous/magnificent“ as is their catch phrase. They just seem super fake.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 04:39   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I’ve finally given up on them. These guys (specifically Dan) drives us up the wall. Everything is “absolutely beautiful/gorgeous/magnificent“ as is their catch phrase. They just seem super fake.

While I am amazed at Dan's skills and creativity, he does seem to sometimes be a little too excited about some of the things they add, which to me don't make much sense, unless maybe someone is giving you a few bucks to pimp them.

A case in point would be their swap over to a sail drive.

Not hating on saildrives. I do understand there is an advantage to using them from a manufacturing point of view, but to go through the work and expense to convert a perfectly usable conventional shaft drive makes no sense, unless of course someone gives it to you and jams a few bucks in your pocket.

I suppose were I in the same spot, I'd likely have done it too.

The other thing they recently touted as the greatest thing since self tailing winches was that fold up solar panel.

It was a complex, expensive, less efficient solution for a problem that didn't exist.

And while we're on the topic of sail channel corporate shills, I got a bit of that vibe from the Atticus refit at Pacific Seacraft's place.

The impression I got was PS will come to the rescue on one of their old boats, just like they did for Atticus II.

Not saying they won't, but you better get the checkbook out.

My guess is they did that work for nothing. They might have even paid them. If Jordan did have to pay for it all, they'd be into Atticus II for some really big $$$. Way more than it is worth.
Old 17-03-2023, 04:45   #96

Ahhh crap, I forgot to mention one. This is, IMO, the best channel out there for the DIYer who wants to make his old boat better.

Atomvoyager.

No chicks in bikinis.

No fancy gadgets.

Just one absolutely brilliant sailor who comes up with one amazing thing after another.

He concentrates on simplicity and quality. His outboard conversions are awesome and make a lot of sense for a sailor who actually wants to sail rather than motor everywhere.

He is a genius.
Old 17-03-2023, 05:26   #97

Boat: Macgregor 25

I like Uma, but agree with some of the recent comments. Especially that ridiculous solar panel.

I was a huge fan of Atticus in the early days because I can relate to being broke and doing it all on a budget, but even though I think they’re good kids and I wish them the best with their new daughter, the channel has lost its appeal to me personally.

The only channel that I really watch anymore is Salt &Tar and even that one is starting to loose me. Maybe it’s not them so much. Maybe I’m just changing in my tastes.

Still, anyone who can make a living doing what they enjoy is someone I’m happy for and I wish them all the best.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:19   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo George View Post
I like Uma, but agree with some of the recent comments. Especially that ridiculous solar panel.

I was a huge fan of Atticus in the early days because I can relate to being broke and doing it all on a budget, but even though I think they’re good kids and I wish them the best with their new daughter, the channel has lost its appeal to me personally.

The only channel that I really watch anymore is Salt &Tar and even that one is starting to loose me. Maybe it’s not them so much. Maybe I’m just changing in my tastes.

Still, anyone who can make a living doing what they enjoy is someone I’m happy for and I wish them all the best.
Glad I'm not the only one that looked at that and thought, yeah, maybe there is an advantage if you need to fold it up small and fire it into orbit, but on a sailboat? A rectangular panel that folds on a single axis makes wayyyyyy more sense.

What are your thought on switching over to the saildrive unit?

I think they are kinda dumb as they are a pretty big drag when not in use. Pretty sure their popularity has to do with manufacturing convenience.
Old 17-03-2023, 07:24   #99

Boat: Macgregor 25

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one that looked at that and thought, yeah, maybe there is an advantage if you need to fold it up small and fire it into orbit, but on a sailboat? A rectangular panel that folds on a single axis makes wayyyyyy more sense.

What are your thought on switching over to the saildrive unit?

I think they are kinda dumb as they are a pretty big drag when not in use. Pretty sure their popularity has to do with manufacturing convenience.
I tend to agree, but I don’t have enough real experience to have a strong opinion on their drive. I would have thought that converting the existing drive to electric would have been a better option than converting it to a sail drive, but their new drive generates power while sailing so maybe it’s more reasonable than I think. I really don’t know.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:26   #100

Boat: Caliber 28

All of these channels start off really interesting, then they get into sponsorships and become sort of fake...in my opinion. I don't really enjoy watching any of them anymore unless they are in a particular area that I want to see.
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 08:30   #101

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:

Not hating on saildrives. I do understand there is an advantage to using them from a manufacturing point of view, but to go through the work and expense to convert a perfectly usable conventional shaft drive makes no sense, unless of course someone gives it to you and jams a few bucks in your pocket.

The other thing they recently touted as the greatest thing since self tailing winches was that fold up solar panel.

It was a complex, expensive, less efficient solution for a problem that didn't exist.
My sense was that what drove their switch to a sail drive was pursuit of regen. For a coastal sailor like me, regen is inconsequential at best, but it can be a major source on long passages. And as for north as they sailed, solar wasn't worth much.

For me, I'd have switched simply to get that brushed DC motor off the boat. At one point they had propane stored in the cabin, and that scared me silly.

As for the origami solar panels, that looked like they were trying to support some friends who had an idea. Admittedly, it seems overly complex. What's wrong with hinges or slides?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 08:38   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo George View Post
The only channel that I really watch anymore is Salt &Tar and even that one is starting to loose me.
Yeah, I've been following them also.
In the not-so-distant past there was a short period of time in which they seemed to go from "pocket change>big bucks".
During ~that same time frame the amount of body ink appeared to rise dramatically. No thanks.
If you enjoy "Yacht building", then Leo/Tally Ho shows how it's done.
The talent pool in-and-around Port Townsend is both wide and deep.
Old 17-03-2023, 08:53   #103

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
….

…..
The first swap to a sail drive was a BIG step up in efficiency (20-25% better) plus gave them a little regen which was significant icing on the cake.

The saildrive replacement was because the first one was failed and it was a black eye to OceanVolt.

The second replacement was a very good marketing move by OV which got them great advertising and Uma got a LOT better regen out of it. The real world price tag for the latest system, if I had to pay for it, is eye watering. Somewhere near $40k.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:07   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The real world price tag for the latest system, if I had to pay for it, is eye watering. Somewhere near $40k.
Oh my, that seems obscene!
Might an engineering team at NASA have beat that price?
Old 17-03-2023, 10:06   #105
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
I think they are kinda dumb as they are a pretty big drag when not in use.
I am confused. Is this a comment on YouTubers or the solar panel?
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing