Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 10:49   #1

Boat: Schucker 436 1977 39’+
Raymarine autopilot control head p70 vs p70R

Can some one tell me the advantage of either the Raymarine autopilot Control head p70 or the p70R?
The information states one is for sailboats vs power craft. The difference is a rotary type knob for the power boats in place of push buttons for the sailing craft.

I would like to know why one is preferred over the other for the stated applications.

I have a motorsailer which means it will be a power boat (with obvious limitations) most of the time.
Thanks
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Currently: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Macgregor 26M, Paradox 14
Re: Raymarine autopilot control head p70 vs p70R

I prefer the p70r by far over the p70 for my motorsailer. Much easier to use, course changes are much simpler, and the p70r apparently does everything the p70 does, including auto-tack, sailing off wind (vs compass or waypoint). You would use the menu button on a p70r to auto tack, vs simultaneously pressing +1 and +10 on the p70. Altogether the p70r is much more practical for my use.

By the way on another note: I replaced my Benmar AP with the Raymarine EVO, but kept the Benmar rotary drive which works beautifully with the Raymarine EVO. Saves having to buy and install a Raymarine drive unit.
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 13:16   #3

Great information.
I just finished crawling down to take a look at the Benmar drive motor. It’s a whopper compared to some others I have seen on the web.
We’re you able to remove all the old circuit board etc in the motor housing and just leave the motor and it’s leads? it would be nice to remove everything but the motor and mounting bracket to clean it up a bit.
Thanks for the information.
Old 02-03-2021, 14:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

I actually kept pretty much everything inside the Benmar motor. I found that the old circuit board in there was part of the clutch system, and without it my EVO2 system didn’t work very well. Once I connected the Raymarine EVO clutch wires to the Benmar clutch input then it worked perfectly.
Old 02-03-2021, 14:15   #5

Thank you. Could you tell me which Evo you chose and the size and weight of your craft?
Old 02-03-2021, 14:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

I got the Raymarine EV-200 system that included the ACU-200 Actuator Control Unit (ACU), the P70r control head and the EV-1 sensor core. No drive. Also got the rudder reference.
My boat size and weight: 39-foot twin engine motorsailer about 28,000 lbs.
Here is a sample of the package I got:

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/raym...ion-autopilot/
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26   #7

Thank you. Your information is very helpful.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:03   #8

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

I bought the acu 300 for my 20,000 lb sailboat and ray marine told me it was way overkill
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 14:03   #9

Thanks for the feedback but ......
According to Raymarine’s application chart, they recommend for a boat using a type 2 mechanical rotary drive and weighing 44,000 lbs the EV400.
My boat only specs at 32,000 but I am a live aboard so have my possessions and lots of tools on board.
The chart kind of skips from 20,000 pound boats to the 44,000 mark.
It seems that the type of drive makes a big difference as well. I would rather spend less for a smaller ACU but I don’t want to have find it the expensive way that I under bought.
Old 03-03-2021, 16:00   #10

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Assuming you have a wind instrument, you can sail to a set wind angle with the P70 but not with the P70R, I know because I mistakenly purchased a P70R when I first bought my EVO A/P system. Had to sell the P70R and get the P70. It's a very useful feature that makes the Autopilot react the same way a wind vane self steering does, rather than holding a set course.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 18:02   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Assuming you have a wind instrument, you can sail to a set wind angle with the P70 but not with the P70R, I know because I mistakenly purchased a P70R when I first bought my EVO A/P system. Had to sell the P70R and get the P70. It's a very useful feature that makes the Autopilot react the same way a wind vane self steering does, rather than holding a set course.

The p70r does have the windvane mode. I have the p70r and I have used windvane mode quite a bit. That was the predominant mode used for gaining latitude / close reaching north during the first week of my recent voyage from Hawaii to CA. Just make sure you designate your vessel as a “Sailboat” during the dockside initiation routine.

To activate wind vane mode on a p70r simply press Standby and Auto simultaneously, or if you have the latest firmware, windvane mode is by default the left shortcut key.

Here’s Raymarine’s documentation below for “p70 and p70r Software History”, and note version 3.08 update notes:

https://www.raymarine.eu/service-and...-variants.html

“... Wind Vane mode (when set to Sail Boat) has been moved to the left Shortcut key as default (also accessible via the menu). The two button presses (Standby and Auto) will no longer activate Wind Vane mode”
Old 03-03-2021, 18:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Raymarine autopilot control head p70 vs p70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
Thanks for the feedback but ......
According to Raymarine’s application chart, they recommend for a boat using a type 2 mechanical rotary drive and weighing 44,000 lbs the EV400.
My boat only specs at 32,000 but I am a live aboard so have my possessions and lots of tools on board.
The chart kind of skips from 20,000 pound boats to the 44,000 mark.
It seems that the type of drive makes a big difference as well. I would rather spend less for a smaller ACU but I don’t want to have find it the expensive way that I under bought.

Main difference between the ACU-400 vs 200 is how much power (current) it can supply.
My guess is that the EV200 should work ok for you. Keep in mind that the “muscle” for the new AP is the same as for your old Benmar: ie the mechanical rotary drive motor (power unit) is the same. And I believe it’s a Type 1 power unit:
The Benmar power unit is rated at 13.6nm torque, well within then 20nm Type 1 spec for which the ACU-200 is designated.

So it’s basically a question of can the ACU-200 supply enough power to drive that motor (and through it the rudder). If your rudder isn’t particular heavy or stiff I think the ACU200 should be able to supply enough current, especially given that the Benmar was able to drive same.

http://www.benmarmarine.com/Autopilots.htm

https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=579.html#tab4
Old 03-03-2021, 20:05   #13

Thanks for more info all. Perhaps He an early version of p70R and Raymarine updated it. ?
I have never seen the Benmar work properly even after sending all the components in for repair.
I’m counting on the drive to work without all the Benmar support electronics. We shall see.
I wish I could find out if anyone has been able to use Coastal Explorer with the Evo system for following way points or at least steer to one at a time.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:19   #14

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer7 View Post
The p70r does have the windvane mode. I have the p70r and I have used windvane mode quite a bit. That was the predominant mode used for gaining latitude / close reaching north during the first week of my recent voyage from Hawaii to CA. Just make sure you designate your vessel as a “Sailboat” during the dockside initiation routine.

To activate wind vane mode on a p70r simply press Standby and Auto simultaneously, or if you have the latest firmware, windvane mode is by default the left shortcut key.

Here’s Raymarine’s documentation below for “p70 and p70r Software History”, and note version 3.08 update notes:

https://www.raymarine.eu/service-and...-variants.html

“... Wind Vane mode (when set to Sail Boat) has been moved to the left Shortcut key as default (also accessible via the menu). The two button presses (Standby and Auto) will no longer activate Wind Vane mode”
Thanks for the update although I note this is the new square sided version of the P70(R). I installed my P70 over two years ago (the curved sided design)and at that time it could not do wind mode nor auto tack mode. I guess they decided to add it later or maybe on the newer version. I now largely use a small handheld remote made by i3dgear in the US. does everything the control head does and more (can control the rate of turn and even allow the boat to bear off before hardening up after the tack, all programmable in the device. I hardly use the P70 now, only really for noting what heading is being held and confirming that A/P is engaged or not (also some times quicker to disengage the A/P via the control head than by the remote)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Thanks for the update although I note this is the new square sided version of the P70(R). I installed my P70 over two years ago (the curved sided design)and at that time it could not do wind mode nor auto tack mode. I guess they decided to add it later or maybe on the newer version. I now largely use a small handheld remote made by i3dgear in the US. does everything the control head does and more

Mine is the older p70r, installed 4 years ago. I believe the new one is called p70rs.
Interesting note about the I3dgear remote. Will look them up.

Tags
autopilot, head, marine, raymarine