Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2021, 12:53   #16

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36
Re: Question for Seatow and Towboatus patrons.

I have had Towboat insurance for many years.
Towed a disabled catamaran 3 miles to his slip with my little 36ft Beneteau. I think I can. I think I can. Chug Chug.
It's what we do. It's what we should do.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 18:32   #17

What a disgusting, unseamanlike question,😱
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 18:59   #18

The implication up front by the OP is that a "disabled vet" deserves something special above and beyond other sailors. Such a person would get no special treatment, but just like anybody else I'd help with what I can.

I will risk my boat, and my ass, to save your ass--but not your assets. I do not have the tools or the boat that can tow you home, or pull you off the reef.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:37   #19

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I have helped or towed a whole lot of people, including towing a 20' powerboat with my kayak to keep him off the rocks. It worked, but I couldn't use my arms for a couple days :-)

I've been helped or towed twice. One of those was for a few miles on Lake Huron. Once my boat was safely in the harbor, Mr Good Samaritan took me back to an island to retrieve my camping gear- all in, about 3 hours of his time. Thank you Mr Good Samaritan! (I was able to convince him to accept the cash I had. I wish I had more on me!)
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 07:36   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
What a disgusting, unseamanlike question,��

Whatever.

I ask, because I believe that the prevalence of cell phones and automotive towing plans (pioneered by AAA but now a free benefit with new car purchases, many credit cards, and insurance companies) has effectively ended the mutual aid tradition on roads and highways. I imagine the same thing will happen with boating and wondered how close we are to that.

And I also ask because I am trying to understand the mindset of people who purchase these plans, since they appear to me to make about as much financial sense as an extended warranty on a Porsche.
Old 20-01-2021, 08:18   #21

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I carried Boattowus insurance for a number of years. At less than $200 a year I found it a value that is remarkable. I pay the fee to have the resource available to me if needed. That's independent of the question of helping someone else, this payment for service is a value to myself.

I've assisted other boaters and been assisted by boaters. An independent action (from any services purchased) that I feel is the correct way to handle yourself in the world. I would not risk myself or my boat (and would not expect others to risk themselves or their assets) to provide that assistance but give freely when the opportunity arises.

I also grew up in an offroading community. In both areas the remoteness to where incidents can happen that you need assistance leads for more a "helpful" mindset.
Old 21-01-2021, 05:10   #22

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Whatever.

I ask, because I believe that the prevalence of cell phones and automotive towing plans (pioneered by AAA but now a free benefit with new car purchases, many credit cards, and insurance companies) has effectively ended the mutual aid tradition on roads and highways. I imagine the same thing will happen with boating and wondered how close we are to that.

And I also ask because I am trying to understand the mindset of people who purchase these plans, since they appear to me to make about as much financial sense as an extended warranty on a Porsche.
I agree with everyone here. You should always stop and help if needed. I have towed and been towed. Even saved a boat drifting out to sea to find the owner's car in the ramp up to the top of the car. As far as towing insurance, its cheap with Boat US insurance.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 05:34   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Whatever.

You obviously don't know the cost of towing without insurance.

Regarding your Porsche comment: you really don't know what Porsche service costs-I bought a new one in 2014, great toy, still have it, but one month after the original factory warranty expired, it developed a problem with the PDK transmission. $3400 later it was ok. Sure wished that I had the extended warranty.

A really disgusting post
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 05:46   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It’s not just the right thing to do: I’m pretty sure you are required to render assistance where possible.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 06:09   #25

Boat: Tartan 3800

I think my OP has been widely misunderstood; I don't carry Seatow or Towboatus insurance myself and always stop to help people. I average one assistance tow given to others a year. The purpose of the OP is to understand the mindset of people who pay for the insurance which to me seems like a poor value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s not just the right thing to do: I’m pretty sure you are required to render assistance where possible.

The requirement exists only when the vessel or the people on it are in peril, i.e. at risk of being lost.
Old 21-01-2021, 06:14   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question for Seatow and Towboatus patrons.

I disagree with those saying it's a disgusting question..
Its a frank honest question regarding changing attitudes in society..
Back in the 60's and 70's when I first started riding m'bikes if one broke down or ran out of fuel and stuck at the side of the road invariably the first bike to come along would turn back and and pull up to ask if you were okay or needed help. It was not unusual in the case of fuel for them to drain some for your tank to get you to a garage or run to a garage and bring some back.. or they might lend some tools and assist fix the problem if they could.
Today one can be beside the road for hours as townies roar past in their bespoke leathers.
Much has changed in the sailing world with an influx of new types taking up the 'sport' for completely different reasons and ideas.
Example: At the end of my first solo nonstop Transat from St Martin I was T-boned by a French yacht motor sailing at 6 knots while the 4 crew were down below having cheese and wine.. they split my hull to deck join around 17ft and created a 3ft vertical split in my hull by the masthead stay, destroyed the Genoa as the spinnaker pole rode up and caused a 12ft rip up the luff.. I could not use my engine as my batteries were flat due to electrical failure following an electrical storm a few weeks earlier..
They did a runner leaving me drifting 5nm S of Start Point in light winds and spring tides.
I managed to raise the Coastguard with my mobile.. thankfully when I switched it on it still had a couple of bars left since I had switched it off in St Martin 47 days earlier.
The Coasties put out a request for nearby vessels to assist but none came forward even though I could see several sails between me and the cliffs to my N.
Anyway, ended up with the Salcombe lifeboat towing me in..
Once tied up and talking on deck with the Harbour Master and the Coasties who'd done the co-ordination this guy came strutting down the pontoon to the boat and said..
"I say.. are you the chappie who needed help earlier.??? I thought about it but figured if you can't use your engine and don't know how to sail you don't deserve help and should not own a boat"
The HM and Coasties grabbed me just in time..
Now this was a Yacht Club member and self proclaimed 'old salt' back in 2001.
So I think in this age of "Screw you Jack, I'm Fireproof" it's a very valid question.
Nice one Jammer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 06:43   #27

Boat: Tayana 47

Maybe I’m naive but I disagree that this is the age of “screw you Jack...” and think it’s a rather odd question as stated. I’ve towed a couple boaters in over the years and it never occurred to me to ask what sort of insurance they had or don’t have.
But I have BoatUS insurance including their towing service. I hope to never use it (touch wood) but it seems pretty cheap to me because you never know whether a Good Samaritan might be nearby or not and it’s VERY expensive to pay for a tow yourself. But I have faith that if I ever need help from another nearby boater, the vast majority would do their best to help if it didn’t seem dangerous to do so. Of course there are a few people who are not good neighbors but that’s always been true.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 07:12   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question for Seatow and Towboatus patrons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Maybe I’m naive but I disagree that this is the age of “screw you Jack...” and think it’s a rather odd question as stated. I’ve towed a couple boaters in over the years and it never occurred to me to ask what sort of insurance they had or don’t have.
But I have BoatUS insurance including their towing service. I hope to never use it (touch wood) but it seems pretty cheap to me because you never know whether a Good Samaritan might be nearby or not and it’s VERY expensive to pay for a tow yourself. But I have faith that if I ever need help from another nearby boater, the vast majority would do their best to help if it didn’t seem dangerous to do so. Of course there are a few people who are not good neighbors but that’s always been true.
We'll in my case it was not only the guy who rammed me.. then reversed away a few hundred metres while one of the two women went below for a beach towel she draped over the stern so I could not see the name as they turned and motored away but also the guy who sailed past a couple of miles to the N who made a judgment based on arrogance.
But hey.. its your perspective..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:09   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I think my OP has been widely misunderstood; I don't carry Seatow or Towboatus insurance myself and always stop to help people. I average one assistance tow given to others a year. The purpose of the OP is to understand the mindset of people who pay for the insurance which to me seems like a poor value.

The requirement exists only when the vessel or the people on it are in peril, i.e. at risk of being lost.
When adrift with no means of propulsion, they are in peril and you are required to assist. When you are not able to tow, you stand off a bit while organizing help, ready to provide further assistance when the need arises.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:40   #30

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
The purpose of the OP is to understand the mindset of people who pay for the insurance which to me seems like a poor value.
I hope this doesn’t get construed as poor seamanship on my part, but we have used towing insurance repeatedly the length of the Gulf and Atlantic U.S. coasts. I think only once due to a “ mud bank that moved”, the other times being mechanical issues. The cost is so cheap. I can think of any number of times that a single tow has justified the cost of my lifetime expenditure for towing insurance.

Tags
boat