Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 14:58   #31

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I am also looking at a new dink for the eastern Caribbean. I now have an Apex 10ft. with a Yamaha Enduro 15hp 2 stroke. It will plane with 4 adults but is a little skittish. My research is indicating an AB aluminum bottom RIB of the same size. The AB seems to be a little more stable and drier. It has a double bottom which gives it a flat floor as well as more flotation.

As for where to buy. AB is manufactured in Columbia which is close by and Apex is manufactured in Costa Rica which is even closer.
Old 09-06-2009, 15:06   #32

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You can't go wrong with an AB. I have the 10'06" Lite. I love their aluminum RIB but it was a bit pricey for me.
Old 09-06-2009, 17:14   #33

Boat: Trismus 37
Thumbs down

I found to my cost that PVC is a No No down here in NZ, I have a Walkerbay RID, the PVC tubes started to deteriorate within the first year but I didn't recognize just what the problem was before the 1 year warranty expired (see earlier post re Walkerbay) So after protracted discussions with both the local Walkerbay rep and Walkerbay themselves (who basically called me a liar) I had to spend another $1000.00 for a Hypalon replacement, the tubes are holding up OK. although they always seem to need pumping up. The Walkerbay logo on both sides has succumbed to sunburn and the fabric handholds have recently been replaced with a local style of hand hold as they had rotted out in less than 9 months, (not Walkerbays later solid handhold version), under warranty, The use of the local one was probably a decision made by the local distributor, they are ugly but at least they are useable. I was surprised at the sunburn on the Logo and that the local distributor said that the original handholds only had a 1 year warranty as against the 5 year warranty for the tubes after all they are part and parcel of the same thing, but as I have learnt to my cost Walkerbay do things differently.
PVC no no no, Walkerbay RID's basically a good product but let down by a poor choice of materials (certainly for this part of the world) and shocking customer care / satisfaction skills.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 17:24   #34

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Have any of you tropical cruisers used 303 protectant or similar product?
Wipe it on and UV damage is a thing of the past. Of course you have to keep putting it on. Maybe every month. Or in the tropics- every 20 minutes.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib