Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 01:11   #151

Re: Power draw of Nespresso type coffee machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
So we recommend taking a step back from the disposable society and leave the Nespresso machine home.
No offense, but this is absolutely the worst advice in the entire thread.
Hands down.
Get yourself a Nespresso Vertuo machine... the newer one with the aluminum dome capsules that spin around. Re-use these by refilling these yourself with your freshly ground beans, sealiong with the metallic discs that are adhesive at the edges. (3rd party, Nespresso might frown upon this)
Shrug at the few seconds of power that you use.
Enjoy.
Sail on.
Thank me in the morning.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 03:54   #152

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
12 volt electric kettle to heat water

Doesn't actually use that much power .

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ele.../dp/B07GJ5YY98

Approx 5 to 7ah depending on water temp to start.

Well, I’d be very surprised if it did not use more power than a pod machine for the reasons already noted, namely the exact quantity heated by the pod machines and the fact that the pod machines don’t hear the water to boiling point.

I’m not trying to change your mind, you’ve got a good system that works for you, but the science matters.
Old 28-12-2019, 07:37   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, I’d be very surprised if it did not use more power than a pod machine for the reasons already noted, namely the exact quantity heated by the pod machines and the fact that the pod machines don’t hear the water to boiling point.

I’m not trying to change your mind, you’ve got a good system that works for you, but the science matters.
There is a trick i use to save energy . I use the kettle as a dump load in the afternoon for the excess solar which i place in a thermos to provide pre heated water for morning coffee . It cuts my power usage considerably .
But being a solo sailor i can do things a bit different.

Side note have you and Giles touched base on the water generator idea ?
Old 29-12-2019, 00:51   #154

Quote:
There is a trick i use to save energy . I use the kettle as a dump load in the afternoon for the excess solar which i place in a thermos to provide pre heated water for morning coffee . It cuts my power usage considerably .

But being a solo sailor i can do things a bit different.

Side note have you and Giles touched base on the water generator idea ?

Ok, VERY efficient. I am impressed.

Re Giles, he was going to get back to me, but in the interim I’ve put together the bits to make one using the LG direct drive motor. It will have to wait till I am cruising tho, trying to get out by January. It will make a good project once I am freed from the marina. I have everything I need.
Old 29-12-2019, 05:53   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ok, VERY efficient. I am impressed.

Re Giles, he was going to get back to me, but in the interim I’ve put together the bits to make one using the LG direct drive motor. It will have to wait till I am cruising tho, trying to get out by January. It will make a good project once I am freed from the marina. I have everything I need.
I grew up off grid for a time learned to do a lot with little . Running the generator was not an option for most things. Fuel was hard to get to the island.

Re: file a he has been real busy with spring planting then the fires . Glad you have put something together that will work in the interim
Old 29-12-2019, 11:57   #156

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Are you suggesting heating the warm water in the morning? Good coffee, like good tea, is made with water just below the boiling point (195-205 F)
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:36   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Are you suggesting heating the warm water in the morning? Good coffee, like good tea, is made with water just below the boiling point (195-205 F)
Yes heating rhe warm water from the thermos to the optimum temperature for coffee ( which is actually 187°f) temp setting on commercial espresso machines. For use in my french press unit.
Old 30-12-2019, 11:16   #158

Quote:
Yes heating the warm water from the thermos to the optimum temperature for coffee ( which is actually 187°f) temp setting on commercial espresso machines. For use in my french press unit.
Your system should work fine for French press. Espresso machines are a different discussion as they brew under pressure. 200°f and 9 bars of pressure is typical in the group head of an espresso machine.
Old 30-12-2019, 11:43   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your system should work fine for French press. Espresso machines are a different discussion as they brew under pressure. 200°f and 9 bars of pressure is typical in the group head of an espresso machine.
187°f. But yes about 9 bar pressure

The use of french press was a tangenr concerning the power usage .
Old 30-12-2019, 12:35   #160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . The use of french press was a tangenr concerning the power usage .

And Gilow was right about that. Heating the water in a kettle, you will be inevitably heating more of it, and you will be heating the kettle itself, and then you will be heating the french press up, between your batteries and your coffee cup. Whereas the Nespresso you just heat the precise amount of water to just the precise temperature and no heating of any utensils. It is much less power than other electrical ways to make coffee; I can say this from experience since we use both methods on my boat.

Of course if you have some tricky off grid solar bank shot that's a somewhat different story, also if you heat the water on a propane stove, but for the rest of us, and for anyone concerned about power usage (I'm not really, but others are), then Nespresso is a winner.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 12:38   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And Gilow was right about that. Heating the water in a kettle, you will be inevitably heating more of it, and you will be heating the kettle itself, and then you will be heating the french press up, between your batteries and your coffee cup. Whereas the Nespresso you just heat the precise amount of water to just the precise temperature and no heating of any utensils. It is much less power than other electrical ways to make coffee; I can say this from experience since we use both methods on my boat.

Of course if you have some tricky off grid solar bank shot that's a somewhat different story, also if you heat the water on a propane stove, but for the rest of us, and for anyone concerned about power usage (I'm not really, but others are), then Nespresso is a winner.
there is also the other usages for the hot water . Not just coffee or tea.
Old 30-12-2019, 20:34   #162

Full disclosure... it occurs to me that the pod machine does have a small thermoblock. So some power is wasted heating that bit of aluminium.

Sigh...

Back to the drawing board.
Old 30-12-2019, 22:20   #163

Quote:
187°f. But yes about 9 bar pressure
You do not develop only 187°f while at 9 bars of pressure in the group head of an espresso machine. Now, if you mean in the cup below the portafilter, that may be true but that is only after the espresso has been brewed. Temperature and pressure in the boiler and group head of an espresso machine are not independent of one another.
Old 30-12-2019, 23:06   #164
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You do not develop only 187°f while at 9 bars of pressure in the group head of an espresso machine. Now, if you mean in the cup below the portafilter, that may be true but that is only after the espresso has been brewed. Temperature and pressure in the boiler and group head of an espresso machine are not independent of one another.
Actually i was quoting my keureg at the girlfriends . Nespresso machines are at 185°f

The brewing temperature inside a Nespressomachine is around 83-86° for Original and 78° ± 5° for Vertuo. This ensures optimal extraction of the coffee aromas without burning the coffee. It aslo makes sure that you are able to enjoy your coffee rgiht away.

https://www.contact.nespresso.com/faq/no/en/detail/4352
Old 31-12-2019, 02:52   #165
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I’m still not convinced that a Nespresso machine (and there’s a range of brands and model of that) is more energy efficient than my Technivorm or Zojirushi coffeemaker, while quality of coffee brewed is all very close and I actually prefer the Technivorm Moka over the semi espresso

Where a coffee drip machine wastes some heat in the boiler, so does the espresso machine in a chunk of metal. The Nespresso needs to build pressure which I feel uses more energy than the bubbling up a plastic tube that the drip machine does.

Then there’s the Bialetti Moka Express units which are very energy efficient as well, creating pressure from steam which is then condensed to make the coffee. I bet the induction versions are again at comparable energy levels

Boiling water in an electric kettle is very efficient and as long as you boil the exact right amount, pouring that into a Melitta filter only costs some arm and hand muscle power, zero electric power and thus this may even win the contest
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote