Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What is your sailing experience?
0-500 nm (longest leg) 11 12.79%
Coastal (within 24 nm 8 9.30%
Coastal plus some legs beyond 24 nm 24 27.91%
Oceanic (all the above plus one or more passages) Does not include piad or solicited crew positions 43 50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 07:06   #1

Poll-Sailing Experience

Looking over some past posts of mine I realized I had assumed many on CF are accomplished skippers. To rectify that assumption I thought perhaps a poll would do.

While I am somewhat familiar with Vbulletin I am not sure how this works. This would be my 1st poll so please bare with me.

EDIT: well, that was simple but I had no prior indication that a 2nd screen would lead to poll selection. Easy peasy.

EDIT: I selected 24 nm because land is over the horizon and it is the range of most radar units for pleasure craft of which I am familiar.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:10   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Poll-Sailing experience

Why omit crewed ocean miles?
Old 13-08-2013, 10:26   #3

I omitted solicited crew because it seems a significant portion of boats go forth with not much concern for experience. I suppose one could vote and also add comments for further explanation if they choose to do so.

To wit, Cook, 3rd Class isn't exactly fitting. However, do not be dissuaded. Comments are welcome.

By "solicited" I mean where one party actively recruits a 2nd party to help staff the vessel. A friend was a radar man in the USN. He always knew which port was being entered but he never saw it from above decks. That wouldn't exactly apply to pleasure craft but I trust it makes my point.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Poll-Sailing experience

Being a delivery skipper and your spec's I've just voted for my personal boat voyages... no deliveries included... Oceanic..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you left out the bit for posters with over 100,000 miles as skipper
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:42   #6

For option #4 I intended a passage of minimum 1,000 nm for any leg between ports. I realize this may seem short but I limited the poll to 4 options only. I suppose I could have included an option at the other end, ie, a true circumnav across all meridians. I'm just wanting to get the crux of what experience levels dominate, if any.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Poll-Sailing experience

I think for suitability you'd have been better going for 4000- 5000 miles... that's like WI - UK non stop or maybe US - Hawaii for example.. an Ocean crossing..
Don't think any members have circumnavigated non-stop..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you left out the bit for posters with over 100,000 miles as skipper
I know. Sorry mate. I reckon I shoulda put more thought into it. But I'm not writing a book. I just want to get the crux of the experience levels on CF and to see if there is a dominate level, if any.

A few posters, Atoll and Boatman come to mind, have experience level which is sorta common knowledge on CF. Commercial operators like tug and tow have a place here too. Basically, anyone who lends a real hand topsides rather than cookie below decks or looking pretty...and that means a warm body just to stand the dog watch.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:51   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

I only counted my unpaid voyaging on my own or family's vessels. Which still puts me in Oceanic. I made an 800+ nm single handed crossing, the gulf of Alaska (deck hand was too sick to get out of the bunk.). Just to get my current love of my life home for a refit.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:52   #10

I've crossed oceans on warships, but the longest I've done sailing is ~450nm. So I'll humbly park myself as coastal+ .
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think for suitability you'd have been better going for 4000- 5000 miles... that's like WI - UK non stop or maybe US - Hawaii for example.. an Ocean crossing..
Don't think any members have circumnavigated non-stop..
That'd be a pretty drive from Wisconsin. (I reckon you mean the West Indiferences) yuck yuck

Oh, good point, I surely did not mean circum non-stop. We ain't all children looking to set records.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've crossed oceans on warships, but the longest I've done sailing is ~450nm. So I'll humbly park myself as coastal+ .
Not for long! The poll is open for 100 days from today. You can log in under a diff name and vote a more accurate option.

By the way, you say humble but if you had ever gotten out of the SoCal bight you would know that coastal can mean a whole lot more. SoCal in basically an inner, protected coast. North of Pt Conception, most of the coast is outer, unprotected coast even though it be coastal. And while I did say 24 nm in the poll, one can still be on the continental shelf and/or subject to weather from landforms. I reckon I shoulda said 60 nm or 200 nm off the beach.

I reckon outside of San Clemente and about would be outer, protected coast. Set 210 heading and you'll be 'out there' afore you know it.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:02   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Looked up my old log books for fun, boy the miles add up

Dave
Old 13-08-2013, 11:06   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

When gunkholing, we would angle to a point 100 nm off the beach, because it is much safer offshore than near shore. Coastwise navigation is always more stressful. Once you get out of sight of land, you can usually take going aground off the list of bad things that can happen.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Not for long! The poll is open for 100 days from today. You can log in under a diff name and vote a more accurate option.

By the way, you say humble but if you had ever gotten out of the SoCal bight you would know that coastal can mean a whole lot more. SoCal in basically an inner, protected coast. North of Pt Conception, most of the coast is outer, unprotected coast even though it be coastal. And while I did say 24 nm in the poll, one can still be on the continental shelf and/or subject to weather from landforms. I reckon I shoulda said 60 nm or 200 nm off the beach.
I singlehanded the Baja peninsula and across the Sea of Cortez so that's something like ~1200 miles, but I stopped three times to anchor. No big oceanic crossings for us until the Spring when we're hopping the Pacific.

The Sea of Cortez is crazy in its own right. Hurricanes, chubascos, northers, katabatic winds, etc. Lots of violent 50-60 knot microburst stuff in addition to cyclonic activities.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, poll, sail, sailing