Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 19:09   #16

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Planning to sail from NY to Miami fall 2002 - advice please

As stated before get yourself down to Hampton for the end of October. The Salty Dawgs typicly leave for Antigua then, (it’s usually a good weather window) join them for under 100$ and get a personalized forecast from Cris Parker he is base out of Miami and has been very helpful to sailors with his weather advice. New York and New Jersey can be chock full of heavy wind and way above forecasts just off shore.
With the dawgs you will meet a complete dissection of sailors, some doing the ICW some hitting Bermuda most tracking to Antigua and you can find crew as well, if you are short on man power or company.
I will be taking my vessel down to Salomon’s island around the same time to put her on the hard at Washburns.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 10:41   #17

I’d defer from Pt Washington, not because of marina, but because you will need to round the “Battery” (lower Manhattan) and traverse the East River and the infamous Hell Gate and big current., not once but twice when you head south later.

Instead, I’d check out the marina(s) at Sand Hook, NJ, not far from the Narrows bridge.
Also, I’d check out the Farley State Marina at Atlantic City.

For your route to FL. From NY to about Norfolk, stay outside and just shoreward of the 3 mile limit, this will help keep you out of the way of the big ships and lessens current and wave effects.
As you near Norfolk and the Cheasapeak entrance, a decision to stay outside and traverse Hatteras or go inside via the ICW, should be considered. If vessel is ICW favorable, then take it from Norfolk to Morehead City, NC. After that only other major obstacles are Frying Pan Shoals (cape fear area) and Cape Canaveral. Frying pan can be avoided by crossing Onslow bay from Morehead to Wrightsville beach, NC and taking the ICC again to the Cape Fear entrance. After that just stay in close, avoid going out beyond 3 miles, especially if there are any element of a North wind.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 17:12   #18

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Head south in mid October. after Labor Day the crowds are gone, marinas are not full and restaurants are not packed.

If you can fit under ICW bridges, run the ditch. Unless you are in a hurry or just like to look at water, you should stroll slowly south on the inside. Much more interesting that running offshore and lots of places to stop and visit. Only portion of the ICW that you should avoid is GA, run outside from Charleston and come back in at JAX. Dont get to GA/FL too early, it will still be hot and muggy and you will need AC to sleep at night
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 05:31   #19

Boat: Catalina 42

Thanks for all of your comments & suggestions. (I will attempt to proof read my next post better before I hit send)

Cheers
Courageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 05:58   #20

Don’t do that, Capt Courageous, we’re having too much fun here!
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 09:10   #21

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

I would not recommend going outside of Cape Fear in the winter. That can get real nasty!
If you can get to the North Carolina line we have a lot of nice marines and good anchorages and it is only 4-5 days outside to Miami channel, or 5 days to the Abacos
jewt
S/V Bifrost
'89 Morgan -44
Old 21-04-2022, 11:03   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Here are my 2 cents on this trip, I have done it 7-8 times. Both ICW and offshore.
Once you get to Cape May you have an easy inlet to rest. If the weather is favorable stay offshore to Norfolk or Little Creek with several marinas. If not take the Delaware river to the C&D canal to the Chesapeake Bay. If you time the tides correctly you can make it in one day to Chesapeake city or even further. Then south to Annapolis, Solmons, Deltaville and Norfolk with the free overnight basin in Portsmouth. But you probably know this part.
I personally don't like to go around Cape Hatteras that late in the year. too rough for me but then I do most traveling single handed.
From Morehead City go offshore to Wrightsville Beach then ICW for about 3 hours to Southport. I have gone across the Frying Pan shoals motor-sailing in no wind and also in 30+ knots. You can cut easily across the shoals just follow the markers for the cut. Minimum depth is 15'. Now I prefer the shorter ICW trip.
From there it is 24-27h sail to Charleston. Georgetown is about 1.5h upriver but has a large inlet. All the other inlets I would not use, too shallow. Muriel inlet is ok but does not connect to the ICW. From Charleston I agree to bypass Georgia. But there are many river inlets to hide if the weather turns against you. With the exception of Po'boy inlet all the others are deep and wide. It also seems the whole ICW is recently trenched to about 15'. Except for a short part in SC.
I always stop in Fernandina Beach, great little town. Easy in and out. Large anchorages and a nice mooring field and a new marina. But it can have a nasty current! Watch out for submarines listen to the VHF.
From St. Augustine sailing to Ft. Pierce is about 24+ hours. If the weather turns against you Ponce de Leon inlet and Cape Canaveral inlet are ok to use. There are safe and pretty anchorages in Titusville and Eau Gallie!
Ft. Pierce to Riveria Beach, Lake Worth inlet as it is called. Easy offshore trip but stay within 5 nm or even closer. Then on definitively offshore Ft. Lauderdale to avoid 28 bridges. Again stay close to shore as possibly. Hillsboro inlet is doable but only at High Tide. It also gets very busy on weekends!
From Ft. Lauderdale you have to go offshore to Miami because of the last bridge which is fixed at 55'. I usually avoid Miami and go straight to No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne.
I hope this helps a bit. I usually allow a minimum of 10-14 days for Annapolis to Ft. Lauderdale. The return trip is much faster and easier. Longer days plus a Gulf Stream push.
Cheers and good sailing.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 11:11   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Sorry I misspelled Dredged. Darn auto spell checker.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 11:38   #24

Boat: Catalina 42

Thanks much Peterbreit for the info, it's very informative.

Cheers
Courageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 11:49   #25

Fall is a beautiful time of year to come to Canaveral. Try for some tripletail
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:14   #26

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

Not sure of what your insurance policy says, but mine says not south of Chesapeake Bay before Nov 1. Now I sail the Bay from March to Dec and it is safe, bit cold sometimes but can be safely sailed.

My marina, just south of Annapolis (Holiday Point) is a full working marina with access to most major suppliers surrounding the Annapolis area. Often in early October of late Sept we see lots of boats stopping in to prep for the way south and departing first weather window heading south in Nov. Almost all take the ICW down rather than go around the grave yard. Most talk about the small towns they plan to stop in and the places to eat.

My next slip neighbor last year is in the Bahamas now and she went down the ICW and then did some open sea runs. and tells me they had a great time.

Be glad to help you fine good stopping grounds on your way down.
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:26   #27

Head south!
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:19   #28

Boat: Beneteau 42cc

I would seriously consider doing the Salty Dawg rally. They do a rally to the Bahamas around Nov 1 from Hampton, and then you can head to Florida when you want.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 11:43   #29

Boat: Omega 36

From NY to Miami. It is quite shallow, so if you go through the ocean, be ready to sail for two-three days without anchoring. The most unpleasant place is around Cape Hatteras.
If you choose ICW, what I really hate, you have to be ready to be grounded, also in Florida, there are two bridges 50' high.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 07:22   #30

Boat: 1982 Morgan OI 416

https://www.waterwayguide.com/
This might help.
S/V Selene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, lease, miami, sail