Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 11:03   #16

Boat: Hunter 37C
Re: Painting is a pain in my ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Looks great! I recently completed resurfacing my swing keel, which included a couple painful lessons. Now that you have completed your job, is there anything you would have done differently, or lessons learned the hard way? I am about to do an overhaul to my sliding hatch cover, and have not done anything yet with get coat or topside paint or non-skid.

Hello, I think a lot of my frustration was due to weather so not much to do there.

-The advice of peeling your tape and retaping between coats is a lot of extra work but it is worth it to keep lines clean and prevent peeling up a previously painted area.
-pay the premium for quality brushes and rollers
- I used a one part paint (as I was told it was easier) but in the future I would use a two part. I didn’t find it all the easier (it still requires measuring of thinner and/or non skid additive) and the durability or the two parts would have probably been worth it.
- light wind when applying is ideal. The wind dried the paint faster, even at the max 10% thinner mix, so roll and tip sections had to be very small (like a square foot maybe) or else it started to get tacky and couldn’t be tipped right.
-apply non skid even where it wasn’t before if you think you need it (advice given to me from
Another)
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 11:10   #17

Painting is a pain in my ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Looks good, but are you sure that's the right blue to have used? Maybe something a touch lighter next time?

(We repainted our deck this spring too...off white.)

It’s actually pretty light (maybe the pictures make it seem darker). It’s the lightest blue they have without getting anything specially tinted.

I’m assuming your worried about the deck heat and I actually think the blue areas are cooler on my feet than the white (maybe the non skid helps here?).

The decks were a similar blue before and never felt our boat got hotter than an all white boat.
Old 14-11-2020, 11:22   #18

Painting is a pain in my ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
Wow Ohm, I am so jealous!

I have an H37C also & have often thought of repainting the decks, now I have a new goal in my sailing life.

You said you replaced the head toilet, what with? A compost type is what I'm looking at.

Capt. Wayne

Thanks!
We got a natures head composting toilet and will never look back. After 2.5 years of use we have no complaints.
FYI It has a slight learning curve to getting the mix right and the timing of how often you’ll need to dump but nothing to crazy.

Head was remodel (obviously if you have a 37c) was started by the previous owner. Something I’m very grateful for as we have a ton of room in there compared to other 37Cs.

And after 8months in humid S Fl. the peel n stick wallpaper is still adhering strong!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	226966  
Old 14-11-2020, 11:32   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
Hello, I think a lot of my frustration was due to weather so not much to do there.

-The advice of peeling your tape and retaping between coats is a lot of extra work but it is worth it to keep lines clean and prevent peeling up a previously painted area.
-pay the premium for quality brushes and rollers
- I used a one part paint (as I was told it was easier) but in the future I would use a two part. I didn’t find it all the easier (it still requires measuring of thinner and/or non skid additive) and the durability or the two parts would have probably been worth it.
- light wind when applying is ideal. The wind dried the paint faster, even at the max 10% thinner mix, so roll and tip sections had to be very small (like a square foot maybe) or else it started to get tacky and couldn’t be tipped right.
-apply non skid even where it wasn’t before if you think you need it (advice given to me from
Another)
Thanks for the lessons learned. That all sounds like excellent advice. I learned of the importance of getting good rollers when my cheap foam roller started melting in the two-part epoxy bottom primer.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 10:28   #20

Boat: Monk 36

Looking good! And we share your agony and then pleasure.
I am looking at repainting some corroding/leaky aluminum doors. It appears the previous owner was in love with silicone caulk. Did you have any that concerned you?
My concern is getting all the silicone off and out of the nooks and crannies prior applying Brightside.
Any tricks, anyone?
Thanks!
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 14:39   #21

The sanding actually took care of most of it. I had all the adhesive types to deal with, silicone, butyl residue, 5200, 4000... it had been many a year since a full sand and paint was done to the girl.

A product called Mostenbockers Ahdesive remover did wonders. One of the better ahdesive removing products I’ve used. I got another one to have handy for future use.

Have fun painting!

Tags
paint