Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 00:16   #16

Boat: Sasanka 600 6 mts LOA
Re: Overdue Yacht ARTFUL DODGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by alya View Post
Hello,

I hope this is the same Francisco I met. The data and the pictures of his boat match what I do remember.

Jean-Pierre
Thank you very much Jean-Pierre

Yes, all details you post, matches with Francisco.

Contacting you via private e-mail.

Sorry for delay in answer.
fonsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 00:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
........................ Possible explanation he has found paradise and is just taking a little longer. But then again I believe he must land in Honiara before he gets permission to visit those islands. And why wouldn't he exit Vanuatu from further North like Santos, lots of nice places in Northern Vanuatu.
Thank you oceanride007.

As I commented in a previous post, he kept a regular communication pattern in the last months. A brother of him was seriously ill and he was specially interested to keep contact. So although the "paradise" explanation could be considered, we discarded to be an option this time for the above mentioned reasons. Thanks anyway for you co-operation.
Old 05-05-2014, 00:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
fonsin:

I don't know whether this will help at all, ........................... If his satphone got wet, he would have little way of communicating.

I'm sorry, I cannot identify his boat make.

Good luck with this. I hope you find him and all is well.

Ann
Thank you Ann T.

As far as we know he got some problems with the satphone more than 1 year ago and he was not able to put it into operation again. He never communicate again with the family by satphone after this problems.

Thanks for your co-operation
Old 05-05-2014, 01:24   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

From the ID stripping on the hull it looks like it could be a Cambria. Although the windows are different for different years and models. And it looks a bit short. I think they started at 40'.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:47   #20

Boat: Allied 39

I have sent information to the Pacific Seafarers Net this morning and also posted on the Pacific Puddle Jump group

Chuck
Jacaranda
chouliha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:07   #21

Thank you every one for your kind efforts and co-operation.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46   #22

Boat: Skookum 53'

Good Luck, I hope he shows up safe and sound.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:24   #23

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post
It's like already asked and answered by a first poster, who recently joined and mysteriously knows the person... wasn't born yesterday.
Well, I obviously was born yesterday, because I have no idea what you're on about.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:32   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Well, I obviously was born yesterday, because I have no idea what you're on about.
Well I'm pretty sure I was not born yesterday and I have no idea either. I certainly saw nothing to question in the post from Alya that he refers to.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 00:17   #25

I have to thank all persons that contributed with reccommendations for other sites to post in order to spread the alert and to all of you that paid attention to the post and contributed in any way to the search.

For the moment we have not received any positive report about the boat.

Best Regards
Old 08-05-2014, 02:40   #26

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsin View Post
I have to thank all persons that contributed with reccommendations for other sites to post in order to spread the alert and to all of you that paid attention to the post and contributed in any way to the search.

For the moment we have not received any positive report about the boat.

Best Regards
Buenos días, Fonsin,

If you haven't begun to make some official governmental inquiries, I'd like to suggest that you begin making formal diplomatic contacts with the Spanish government and others.
I've looked up some Wikipedia links about Vanuatu and its government (below) and it may or may not have direct diplomatic relations with Spain. In either case, they have "contacts" all over, and that's what they get paid for.

Simultaneous informal channels like this on Cruisers can certainly be helpful, but an official approach needs to start too for a matter as serious as this (and the bureaucrats seem to move a lot slower, so they need a bit of urgency delivered, with frequent followups).

Australia and Vanuatu have very close ties, and Australia provides a great deal of assistance to the Vanuatu police and paramilitary forces.
Getting as much information you can about your kin and his boat to the local police should be a very high priority, and finding out what they may know of routine matters/clearances by Sr. Morales (as was suggested by others here).

Vanuatu also has close ties to Cuba, which in turn has many ties to Spain, and a common language too.
Therefore you should approach your own Spanish diplomatic offices with the idea of getting them to make official requests, directly or via Australia or Cuba, for any possible information that the Vanuatu government might have about Francisco (assuming he is a Spanish citizen).

There is also a private organization listed on Wiki, the "British Friends of Vanuatu", Home Page , they might be able to help too.

Wikipedia sub-entry :
Vanuatu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Foreign relations of Vanuatu :
Foreign relations of Vanuatu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cuba–Vanuatu relations :
Cuba–Vanuatu relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link just above, there are likely to still be some Cubans around there, and, through their government, may be most helpful to you (we've known several Cuban nationals and they were great people, away from Fidel anyway):
"More recently, in the 2000s, quasi-dormant relations between the two countries have been revived, in the context of Cuba's regional engagement in the Pacific. Cuba currently provides medical aid to Vanuatu and other countries in Oceania. As of September 2008, seventeen ni-Vanuatu are studying medicine in Cuba, with their expenses paid for by the Cuban government,[3] and Cuban doctors are serving in Vanuatu.[4]

Relations with Australia :
Foreign relations of Vanuatu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Australia and Vanuatu have very strong ties. Australia has provided the bulk of Vanuatu's military assistance, training its paramilitary mobile force and also providing patrol boats to patrol Vanuatu's waters. In 1983, Vanuatu and Australia entered into a Defense Cooperation Program together. As part of this program, two Royal Australian Navy advisers are statiomed in Vanuatu Australia to assist Vanuatu in maintaining and operating the RVS Tukoro, the Pacific class patrol boat donated to Vanuatu by Australia in 1987. The RVS Tukoro is Vanuatu's primarily maritime police vessel. "

The Aussies gave Vanuatu this perrito :
File:Vanuatu Police Boat.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They also have close ties with the French (as the French and British co-owned the place before).

Buena Suerte...
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Buenos días, Fonsin,

If you haven't begun to make some official governmental inquiries, I'd like to suggest that you begin making formal diplomatic contacts with the Spanish government and others.........................Buena Suerte...[/SIZE]

Thank you very much for your ideas and co-operation.

Official inquires and diplomatic contacts have already made.
Also Maritime Official ways for reporting overdue have been used via MRCC's as it is been posted already.

This post is intended to be a way to wide spread the overdue alert parallel to the official and consular/diplomatic ways.

Regards
Fonsin
Old 09-05-2014, 01:21   #28
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

If they were here they were doing a good job of hiding. Never saw hide nor hair of them & I travel the islands extensively. Give me some firmer details & I can check outward clearance but no guarantees that it will produce anything.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
If they were here they were doing a good job of hiding. Never saw hide nor hair of them & I travel the islands extensively. Give me some firmer details & I can check outward clearance but no guarantees that it will produce anything.
Thanks for your post and you co-operation

It is (as far as we know) only one person on board.
Skipper Spanish nationality Francisco Cajigal.

The rest of the information is in the post. We are not hidding any other relevant information. If any information is not in the post it is because simply does not exist. At this stage we have done our uttermost effor to provide all information availeable in order to have as maximum as possible chance to have a positive feedback.

As it is already reported

He arrived Vanuatu the 21st October 2013.
He reported to be at / around PORT VILA

He reported to sail from Vanuatu on the 6th February

But of course all these dates are based on communications with family but not on official clearances / documents.

Being in the area your reports are very valuable. Thanks for paying attention to this alert.

Best Regards

Fonsin
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22   #30
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

I wasn't implying you were with holding anything, simply to say I have a finger on the pulse of yacht movements and wasn't aware of him. PM me ALL relevant info for Vanuatu dates etc. & I will contact my sources.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger, yacht