Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 08:01   #16

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Re: Ocean Crossers and Global Cruisers Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Most folks who don't listen to their partners wind up sailing solo. Are you up for that?

so true!
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:02   #17

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm sorry. I may have missed part of the story. She has lived aboard and cruised 6 months each on both of these boats. Just not internationally. She is ready. She wants the one we have to build.
Ok, cool then!

Good luck to both of you!

I'm kind of in a similar situation over here, but regarding where to live on ground. I'd like to just get on with it, rent or buy a house (or apartment), and then continue doing other stuff in life. My spouse would really prefer that we'd buy some land and use the next 2-3 years of our lives to build "our dreamhouse". It's an ongoing discussion
Old 29-11-2019, 08:02   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
Easy.

Sell both boats, even if it hurts you (financially and wrt your feelings about all the work).

Go boat shopping _with her_. You will be able to buy one boat, probably smaller than both of the others, but one that will work for both of you.

Then go.

A few month ago I might have taken over your half-ready cataraman-build, but since we did buy a boat now, I have no vested interested to get your boat to the market anymore. :-)

I'm not willing to cross oceans on anything less than 50'. Both boats meet this criteria. Sorry, this plan doesn't work. I prefer, even for coastal cruising, the security of more LWL.

If selling both boats, I'd get a 60-70' mono or something like that. The bigger the better for my personal taste. That's a completely different thread though.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:04   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Ok, cool then!

Good luck to both of you!

I'm kind of in a similar situation over here, but regarding where to live on ground. I'd like to just get on with it, rent or buy a house (or apartment), and then continue doing other stuff in life. My spouse would really prefer that we'd buy some land and use the next 2-3 years of our lives to build "our dreamhouse". It's an ongoing discussion
Yes, exactly!!

There is no difference at all. It is a question of the easy route where one is cheap and just good enough or the more difficult route where you get closer to perfection with a lot more work and expense.

No difference talking about a house or a boat. Ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:24   #20

Boat: KP 46

While sailing Large yachts around the world for their wealthy owners, I would talk to other cruising folks about their boats.
Many would say their boat was 'ok' because it was their boat. So I think most people lived with their choices.

However, all the folks on one particular boat, Kelly Peterson, both 44 and 46 praised their boat as 'comfortable crossing an ocean' and 'good room and stowage at anchor'. So that is the boat I chose. And I am very happy with her.

However that is MY preference. There are plenty of good boats, and an overwhelming amount of mediocre boats out there that will do the job. I met a couple in Turkey who had sailed their short rigged, production Hunter 54 there from Florida. Not a boat I would choose, but they were happy with her.

Since she is not only your conveyance, but your home as well, your boat becomes more than just a boat when you are cruising with her. I think it is important to be comfortable, but again that is me.. others may want speed, lots of room, or gadgets.

The biggest takeaway I found when meeting other cruisers who had crossed oceans was simplicity. Loading up on gadgets, safety gear, and trendy things just crowd a boat, making your space smaller, more cluttered, and not as enjoyable.

If you seriously want to go cruising, aim to go, not to get ready to go. Marinas are full of boats people are 'planning to cruise with'. but they will sit there and be sold eventually to the next dreamer.

If you truly want to do it, then just do it. Dreaming and planing are fun, but between the dream and the reality lie the doldrums.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:29   #21

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

There is a very interesting online book available with subscription, but I would recommend it very dearly.
https://www.morganscloud.com/series/...offshore-boat/
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 09:21   #22

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Not naming the boats does not help as on could be a bin. And not crossing oceans under 50feet seem ott but this is a fear that people have without the ability and confidence to do it , clearly your partner has made the decision for you so why question it one unhappy person on the boat makes for misery especially your partner no advice on here will change that I suggest you listen to her or you ain't going anywere
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:21   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

GO NOW!
in 2 years time the likes of the la vagabonders will have made the lifestyle so popular that every man,dog and his girlfriend /boyfriend will be out there on anything that floats.
this leads to an increase in marina prices,as the wannabees block up boat yards and marinas whilst fixing their failing project boats.

those that do actually leave and end up crossing oceans,cause prices and cruising fees to go up in the more remote places.

a current example is portugal that in the last year has put up the lights and bouyage fee that you have to pay on arrival whether you stay a day or 6 months from 8.50 euros to 70 euros !
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:54   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Interesting dilemma. My wife and I have cruised extensively on several boats, from from a 77 Islander 44 to 82" wooden ketch. Currently on a Jeanneau 49DS. By far our favorite. We enjoyed the lifestyle and destinations equally on all, but the niser the boat the more my ego was satisfied. Also the more time spent working on the boat. While cruising, we met and saw cruising boats of all shapes sizes and budgets. They all enjoyed their lifestyle the same. Sometimes I think smaller boats and budgets were more adventurous, spending more time exploring than anchor in one place. Unless you plan on high latitude sailing, a lesser boat would be fine. Perhaps allowing you to cruise during the season and return to the project half time.
Personally I couldn't leave the project boat unfinished, and you'd both be thinking about the better boat, wishing you were on it. Wifi can make your plans doable, and is available in most places, however an amplifier would make it far easier. Read some of Fatty Goodlander if you're concerned about what boat is safer.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:37   #25

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I always love the one I'm with..... both woman and boat. Very important. And it has to be real.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:43   #26

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

Heres my two cents... take the better boat, even tho she needs stuff, just right now fix her so she is safe to sail. Like fix the rigging. Sails. Engine. And go sailing. While anchored off a lovely town or docked at some exotic marina, fix the cabinets. Next lovely little island with a good canvas worker, get the interior done. Meanwhile put in your electronics and or whatever. Do it one step at a time so you can live aboard but not be confined to a boatyard. And if boatyard is what she needs, then picture this... the caribbean has hurricanes. Sail in the good season, enjoy the boat and the wonders of the tropics. When hurricane season comes around, haul her and do what needs doing. 5 months in the boatyard gets a hell of a lot of projects completed. Then come good season, put her back on the water and play.
This is actually.what i do.
I bought a boat and after replacing her rigging and sails, i sailed her. Hurricane season came i hauled her. Did a lot of work but not everything. Then sailed her some more. Then another haulout for a month, then sailed her some more. Stopped in Panama and put in a new engine. Then sailed her some more. One more haulout then went thru the canal to french Polynesia and lovely south pacific islands. Cyclone season again, hauled her in Tonga. Better season, sailed her beautifull and better than ever thru the Fijian islands. Cyclone season again, hauling next week here in Vanuatu.
So what i am saying is, the work is getting done, but i am really enjoying the sailing. Now. Aint got time to wait 2 or three or whatever years until she's perfect. Because she never will be perfect. But she IS seaworthy and a comfortable home. And that is my two cents.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:51   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'll share a few thoughts in no particular order, based on lots of cruising miles, and some ocean crossings. One reason we did not circumnavigate was due to health issues. Also, Jim lost a ~45 year old ex-office mate due to lung cancer shortly before we left. He was a non smoker, just unlucky. The loss of an age cohort so young provided a strong impetus for us to leave, to start the dream, if you will, because we never really know what the future holds. We just make plans. I would imagine that pneumonia could set you back seriously, if your lungs are already jeopardized. I would caution you to think really seriously about this issue, because our bodies are usually attacked in their weak links. I do not know how deleterious 3 more years of boat work may be to your lungs, but it is a concern.

I think some nice, white paint might take care of the darker boat, and make it lighter for your gf. If I knew her, I might suggest that she's falling for stuff specifically designed for women, falling for fancy salesmanship; but, if she can't reach the cabinets on the lesser boat, imo, that is a real problem, because she will want to get into them when she wants, and not get you to come do it for her. Rubbermaid makes a little step stool that might get her up there, and it might work for her, and possibly to place less often used items there. You'll be the one to have to clean those cabinets if she cannot reach them. If she is willing to approach the lesser boat as a problem she can help solve, rather than as a project for you to nest-build for her, that could really help, and let you get some freedom sooner.

Where this is leading me is to the issue of how the two of you negotiate around issues where you both have strong feelings, and I would say if it proves too difficult, perhaps see a psychologist and learn some negotiating skills together. It shouldn't take many visits, you'd want someone who does short term goal oriented counseling.

At the end of the day, if it is your heart's desire, then I think you should aim for earliest, greatest possible freedom, and hope that your gf will understand your urgency, which is going to be difficult for her, with the optimism of youth. She has lots more time than you do.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 29-11-2019, 12:26   #28

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Hey Chotu!

i remember that you have issues with mould... i also remember how your dream nearly evaporated, it was so bad. i'm so happy to see that you found the solution (you were allergic to an algae in the marina water, is that right?)

in any case, my feeling is this: regardless of which boat each of you are leaning toward, i would suggest that you (both of you, as a sailing couple and sweethearts) make the decision primarily (if not solely) on the basis of your health.

it is about getting out there, being out there, yes; but it is also about making the dream last. from my perspective, keeping you alive and well while cruising is fundamental.

Good luck and do keep us posted!

wolfgal
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 12:48   #29

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I suggest you consider just the next 3 years. Because a lot can change in 3 years.

So I'm saying get the lesser boat and go sailing now.

I don't want to be the dark cloud on your rainbow, but you never know when you might get that middle-of-the-night-phone-call, life changing event, or diagnosis. It happens.

The currency of sailing is not money...its good health.

There will be more boats in your future. I'm old enough to have owned several boats, and can honestly say that the lesser/cheaper boats have been equally (or more) fun than the big expensive boats I've owned. Really its more about the sailing and your crew. If you have a GF that will sail with you, you are a lucky man...start sailing.

Get the best boat you can. Often, the good (turnkey) boats aren't much more expensive than the project boats.

I'm actually going through the same thing myself as I search for my next boat. My "dreamboat" is for sale locally, but its $$$$. I will likely buy a much lesser boat ($). I'm just more comfortable/happy on a less expensive boat. I want to sail my boat, not my "investment".

To make this more real...here are the two boats I'm considering:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1451599048

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1461696951

Similar size boats, both well equipped in good condition. Very different price. Which one should I buy? What do you think?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 13:24   #30

Boat: Beneteau

I too would say that Ive never seen the perfect boat. Many many good boats that were more than up for the job. I would view it like any other part of life. Is there anything you would not change about your car house boat job or anything else you can insert here. I think we learn to love what we have and only change from what we know when something else is introduced.

Hence the question being posed to everyone on the forum is what things can you introduce to change what we now feel works.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, grass