Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2009, 11:06   #1

New Kid Needs Help!

Ok, so my friend and I are in college and he's a decently experienced boater (lakes) and has his license, etc, but neither of us know how to tackle this one. We want to spend the summer sailing or boating (can have motor) to the Bahamas and living aboard. We have a small budget under 10,000$ and preferably under 7,500$

We're taking lessons on how to sail, but we're still pretty inexperienced. Its a 500mi roundtrap that we've planned, but we don't yet have a boat. People have suggested O'Days, Columbias, Cals, etc. But what specific traits are needed. Cruiser, Racer, Daysailer, etc?!?!

Also, any general advice would be amazingly appreciated.
Jkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 12:32   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
I would highly recommend trying to crew with an experienced boat. Crossing the Gulfstream is not in the best interest of (ocean) inexperienced sailors. It might also be possible to charter. In my experience to try to buy a boat and make it ready for an ocean crossing with just a short time, then sail into hurricane season is a tall order. Then have to pay dockage or ship your new aquisition home I just don't think you have enough time. There are some great buys around in 27-32 feet, but they need work and money to take on what you suggest. Best of Luck
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 14:46   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
Sounds like a great dream and I'd love to read one day you've done it, but as has already been suggested, maybe best to get SOME experience under your belt before embarking on such a trip.
My suggestion is fly out and find a boat that needs someone to look after it out there. A process of livaboard whilst you learn locally to sail will give you both the chance to see if you really do enjoy what you end up doing BEFORE you spend your money - and not after.
Good luck
JOHN
Old 19-02-2009, 14:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Where are you starting from?

If starting from the northeast a great goal would be to get a simple, smallish boat (25-26 feet) and do the ICW headed south until half your money or half your time runs out. Then head back.

Two college kids can put up with a lot of discomfort in the interest of having a lot of fun and you will learn a lot by the time you have to decide about any open ocean cruising.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 15:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Well, captjocook has it pretty well spelled out. You can still boat for the summer if you remain domestic. It would at least keep you away from an international incident. Still plenty of places you could go. You don't mention where you are starting from but the entire east coast down to NC is not easily subjected to hurricanes and even farther south you can dodge storms if you pay attention to the weather.

I would think just getting some experience could still be a very exciting adventure. even a summer on the Chesapeake would keep you busy with new places to see. No matter where you go the issue of storms is a serious one and you really need to log some miles and hours on the water to develop those skills. It isn't so much that it is hard but it is very unfamiliar to you and operations aboard require doing a half dozen things at the same time. 5 out of 6 doesn't pass the test.

There an an unlimited number of ways you could boat domestically and have an amazing time. With that behind you next summer would be even better too. You need to look at this as a lifelong hobby. You could easily sail for the next 50 years and never be bored or run out of amazing adventures.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 15:33   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
There are hundreds of small boats for sale all over the place, You dont need 27 to 32 ft. You're there for an adventure so most of your time will be spent outside anyway so why take extra space with you you don't need. Lots of people have cruised the Bahamas and many places much further afeild in boats much smaller than 30ft.

My boat, a PSC25, has been all over the western and north Pacific including Hawaii, Fiji, Japan and the Aluetians down the west coast thru the canal all round the islands, north to Florida and over to Texas where I bought her. She was in rough shape so I got her for a song. Now I know you don't have the time for a rebuild so you HAVE to go smaller.

Small boats are plenty safe contrary to what some here might think. Mine survived hurricane Ike even thought she did take a pounding and I put her back in the water by hand with the help of a few strong friends. None of the big boats got back for another 2weeks after mine and at huge cost ($2500 to $22000).

My point is don't miss the chance for an adventure like this at all costs. The boat doesn't have to be fabulous just mostly seaworthy. Use your brain and don't take really big chances(small ones are ok) but go. If you don't I can vouch for the fact you will be kicking yourself when you get to 50 for not just doing it. I'm dieing of boredom and would love to be able to take an adventure. I'm just afraid I might really die before I get to have another adventure.

Go small, go cheap, but go while you have the chance...............m
Old 19-02-2009, 15:54   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Jkirch,

Welcome,

It would be helpful to know where you are sailing from?

I'm guessing that besides the ocean crossing, others are concerned that you will be in the bahamas, during hurricane season. Most people try to cross over in the late fall and return in the spring to avoid the summer heat and the 'canes.

As has been stated, if you head north in the summer, you could spend the entire time doing the Pamlico, Abermarle and Chesapeake, and still not see everything that is worth seeing. Further North? you have the Long Island sound, Narraganset bay, and Block island...

IF you are dead set on the bahamas, I might consider hiring/seeking an experienced skipper/crew to help you accross. They will insist on a sound vessel with all safety gear. Keep in mind that insurance for your investment (boat ) might be quite expensive, could be a deal breaker? My insurer will not cover me for the Bahamas, I'd need another policy.

As Paul says, once you are in the Bahamas you are on foreign soil and subject to all their laws, it would pay to know them.

Tags
cheap, sail, Bahamas