Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 17:49   #76

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Nervous About North Channel Canada

FWIW there was a bear captured in the Byward Market in downtown Ottawa this week. Welcome to the wilds of Canada!
Old 11-09-2018, 18:11   #77

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’m so glad you had a good trip Scarlet. Sounds like you had a fairly typical summer week up there. Thunder storms are a constant. You just get used to managing them, which is what you did .

The whole bear issue is completely irregular. Like I said, and as the conservation officer suggested, it’s likely a case of some idiot boaters deciding it would be cute to feed the bear. After that the bear learns where the food is, and that humans aren’t to be feared. So now we get a bear doing what bears do, which will lead to its death — hopefully before someone gets hurt.

Hope you get back up there. There’s so much more for you to explore. But a great start to your cruising career .
I didn't know it would cause a problem. After all, how was I to know a little bacon would hurt anything.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:44   #78

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I didn't know it would cause a problem. After all, how was I to know a little bacon would hurt anything.
Didn’t your doctor always tell you bacon is bad? .
Old 24-06-2019, 07:54   #79

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Didn’t your doctor always tell you bacon is bad? .
Mike, in your opinion what is the best time to visit the North Channel? We are planning for next summer.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:18   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Mike, in your opinion what is the best time to visit the North Channel? We are planning for next summer.
Kinda depends on what you like/don’t like. The typical cruising season runs from about mid-June to mid-September. It will be cool in June, but gets quite warm through the peak summer.

It’s busiest from July 4 though to mid-August, so go sooner or later if you want to avoid busy anchorages.

Bug season typically starts in May/June with black flies, and then June/early July for mosquitoes. They don’t tend to be too bad out on the water, but can become thick in some smaller anchorages.

Water warms up pretty nice by mid-July. Earlier than that it will be cool.

Weather is typical of Great Lakes throughout the season. Westerly winds prevail. Mostly light to moderate, but afternoon thunderstorms are common and can be intense. Winds generally increase through the season, with a noticeable ‘turn’ into Fall which usually happens in September, but can sometimes happen in August.

It’s a great cruising ground. I’m sure you’ll love it.
Old 25-06-2019, 08:16   #81

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Kinda depends on what you like/don’t like. The typical cruising season runs from about mid-June to mid-September. It will be cool in June, but gets quite warm through the peak summer.

It’s busiest from July 4 though to mid-August, so go sooner or later if you want to avoid busy anchorages.

Bug season typically starts in May/June with black flies, and then June/early July for mosquitoes. They don’t tend to be too bad out on the water, but can become thick in some smaller anchorages.

Water warms up pretty nice by mid-July. Earlier than that it will be cool.

Weather is typical of Great Lakes throughout the season. Westerly winds prevail. Mostly light to moderate, but afternoon thunderstorms are common and can be intense. Winds generally increase through the season, with a noticeable ‘turn’ into Fall which usually happens in September, but can sometimes happen in August.

It’s a great cruising ground. I’m sure you’ll love it.
Mike, thanks for your input. I have been planning this for a few years now and am very excited for next year. Based on your info we should plan on Late August. This would play into temperature of the water and air as well as busy anchorages.

Thanks again !!
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 09:21   #82

Quote:
Mike, thanks for your input. I have been planning this for a few years now and am very excited for next year. Based on your info we should plan on Late August. This would play into temperature of the water and air as well as busy anchorages.

Thanks again !!
Glad to help. If warm temperatures and quieter anchorages are the priority, then yes I’d aim for later in August. Usually around mid-August most of the non-local boats start heading for home, so if you aim to arrive around that time you should encounter fewer crowds.

Only caveat is the weather; as I say the turn to Fall usually happens in September, but can come early. It will get noticeably stormier as this happens, so watch the patterns. Generally speaking though, the cruising is great well into September or even October.
Old 26-06-2019, 17:44   #83

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:

Thanks again !!
We went late august and it was gorgeous. Be prepared for some of the most beautiful cruising in North America... absolutely stunning place.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada