Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 09:55   #421

Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Ok so this what most people do when they can't afford something they either get rid of it or man up and work more to pay for it. If you can't afford even getting the boat off the dock how the hell are you going to afford the long term maintenance a boat of that size takes every year. And for gods sake sell the f'n radar even at a loss......... and learn to live within your means.
dofthesea is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I.....but my charity is reserved for the really distressed of this world, who have had no choice in their situation.
https://youtu.be/Yvd1Yi3z-UU
Hungry children in Africa - what a classic...

As if there were not much too much children in Africa already. Your feeding them is not only arrogant but nicely encourages NO change at all in their countries where a China-like one-child policy would be in order. - And may I ask how you get your money? Bet you worked on Uber minimal income in order to save up for your ship. Yeah? Right?

If you do not give something here, that's perfectly fine. It's the internet and one never know whos on the other side. BUT spare me your talk about really distressed and choices. You do know nothing, I suspect.
250224 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:26   #423

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I assume you are making reference to Dofthesea. It was stated rudely but does make a good point about getting it over one's head and a boat is one way to do it.

If they are only looking for a short move from dock to dock someone, in the area, might loan them an outboard. Seems that would eliminate any liability questions.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:43   #424

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post

As if there were not much too much children in Africa already. Your feeding them is not only arrogant but nicely encourages NO change at all in their countries where a China-like one-child policy would be in order. - And may I ask how you get your money? Bet you worked on Uber minimal income in order to save up for your ship. Yeah? Right?

If you do not give something here, that's perfectly fine. It's the internet and one never know whos on the other side. BUT spare me your talk about really distressed and choices. You do know nothing, I suspect.
"Those who are badly off must go there." "Many can't go there; and many would rather die." "If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:45   #425
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Hi guys. Just a quick note on this fund . We did save money, we got taken by the broker , the owner or both, and told things that were not true, but I'm sure we aren't the first. We were forced to leave the dock after previously being told we could stay to get her ready, then got stuck after already spending the money we saved so yes I would normally agree with you guys and so would my husband. We have always done things on our own and have helped a lot of folks. But this is not a normal circumstance and we appreciate everyone's comments info., input and the help with the fund. We will be forever grateful and not that we don't already pay it forward, but We we now know that there are real good people out here where we had lost faith in the past years. That being said I hope we can some day help someone out and change their life the way this is changing ours. Thanks to you all. [emoji4]
So... why don't you move your boat to a cheaper dock in the manner I outlined a few pages back? Instead of asking others to pay your high dock fees. Three months ago we shpped for the cheapest best deal on a place to keep our boat for off season repairs. Why can't you do the same?

I can just imagine the response I'd get if I started a "gofundme" because I prefered to stay in Porto Cervo instead of San Giorgio di Nogaro.

Looks like I was right all along.... you just want others to bail you out of your mistake. No attempt by you to find a cheaper mooring.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:51   #426

Boat: Mako 28

I don't really understand where all the nasty messages come from it really doesn't help anyone! I had carebear start the fund because I wanted help them but I'm 39 hrs away so a little change from my pocket was the best I could do. And I figured there might be more like me out there that want to help but didn't have a way. So I guess what I'm saying is if u got good advice give it to them if you can help out personally and u want to that's great but no one needs nasty messages it just doesn't help.
Cockeye429 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:55   #427
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

WOW!... Interesting Rant!

The African Children are to blame because they never taught their parents birth control???

I worked hard, did without and finally saved enough to pay for my boat....
No gifts or inheritance.

Living in the Philippines for many years, I do know a little about poverty and do help in specific, constructive and charitable ways.

Those that know me on this Forum would understand that my opinion about enabling underfunded boaters was NOT directed at anyone specifically.

With only your 49 posts , I do know nothing about you, so will reserve my judgment.
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:59   #428

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So... why don't you move your boat to a cheaper dock in the manner I outlined a few pages back? Instead of asking others to pay your high dock fees. Three months ago we shpped for the cheapest best deal on a place to keep our boat for off season repairs. Why can't you do the same?

I can just imagine the response I'd get if I started a "gofundme" because I prefered to stay in Porto Cervo instead of San Giorgio di Nogaro.

Looks like I was right all along.... you just want others to bail you out of your mistake. No attempt by you to find a cheaper mooring.
Help with the fund, entirely turned me off. JMO
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 11:01   #429

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Do not under any circumstance, buy parts from Westerbeke without finding out if they're available from an alternate source. All of Westerbekes engines are made by other manufacturers and marinized by Westerbeke, so some parts are proprietary to them, but many are not, and can often be had for less than half of what Westerbeke wants for them.

If you can give us the actual model of the engine, we may be able to tell you what the base engine is and where to get more, shall we say, 'reasonably priced' parts for it...
Thanks Jim. I think he did find a different source to buy from because you're right westerbeke is way expensive.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 11:06   #430

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

If you want to help, do so. If not, don't.

In my case it is not "paying it forward". I'm paying "back". When I was a struggling fight instructor one of my students let me use his C182 to get my instrument rating. Another one let me use his Piper Apache to get my multi engine instructor rating. Folks that were better off giving a kid a leg up. I've helped a few guys with tail dragger endorsements a some multi engine time when I could. I have confidence that this couple will help others down the road.

Good Luck Carebear!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 11:09   #431

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Very saddened at the use of a gofundme appeal, that’s just so wrong. Such stupid appeals denigrate that worthy site for people with real and genuine needs and ambitions. Which category does ‘buying a cruising yacht’ come under I wonder? This is so wrong on so many levels. So Kenomac’s advice to pull up the big boy and girl pants obviously wasn’t taken.

The boat has been sitting unused for at least 5-6 years. Of course Father Time has been working in mysterious ways. All sorts of issues will come to light, some serious and some minor, some urgent, some that can be left a while. Yet no survey was done, and sounds like she’s not even been lifted out or dived to check the state of the hull and give her a clean. Through hulls, prop and rudder etc could all be filled with marine growth.

And there’s that radar. What a waste of money and yet no funds for even a basic survey. Were all the oils and fluids replaced?

Slapping the outboard (clearly in a photo) on the transom to get home was an obvious option about post 20. Takes away all the potential motor, battery, centreboard and rudder issues till you get her home. Even a 5 hp will keep that boat moving at 4 knots in sheltered waters.

The advert was pretty clear with phrases like ‘boat is a project’, ‘engine repowered in 2001’, ‘not used sine 2012’, ‘needs a lot of work’. There are obviously many more issues to be discovered than a blown head gasket. This will continue to be a post to follow for weeks to come.

And for post after post Carebear your answers have been ambiguous, vague and elusive.

But gofundme. Really? No wonder America isn’t great anymore.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12   #432

Quote:
Yes, I am all for helping other boaters as I have been in the past.
But is giving a working couple in their 40's money the right way to do it?

If I were in that situation, I would be far too embarrassed to take it.
It's maybe more a sign of the US and the current (fair?) working conditions??? You cannot be in that situation, your are much too rich. I don't think, you know how it is if the options are difficult and you cannot just buy you out of a problematic situation. 1000 $ a month would hurt me also.

This said, I understand your position. - But, well, either it's a 'fake' or else it seems they could need a bit help now. Yes, maybe buying a boat was a bit risky. But aren't there far worse things than buying 'this old boat' and - hopefully - make it beautiful again?

What would all the old boats do if nobody would care any more? (In Europe a lot of boats are 'fading away' and young people are in general not interested in boating: too expensive, too much commitment).

An Alex Thomson also has to ask for money to 'feed' his racing around the world. Same for Sir Ainslie. I don't think, they feel embarassed. Failure is possible, but why not try?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:45   #433

Quote:
WOW!... Interesting Rant!
The African Children are to blame because they never taught their parents birth control???
I was not 'entirely fair' :white-flag: (but I don't know you either, that's the problem with the internet)

I heard the 'feed African Children' already in the 80ies (incl. being kind of hopeful with e.g. Mugabe) and am a bit allergic now. Of course the children are not to be blamed. But the development as is is not sustainable either. Charity for birth control. In Ethiopia I saw thousands of UN food bags but the country side was baren, no agriculture even if the land would be suitable. Strange.

Not directed a you, Pelagic: Funny how strongly some react if money is involved not in an abstract 'feed african children charity context' but when a closer maybe a bit poorer aspiring sailor family could need some help. Regarding 'America isn't great anymore': it's not just America, e.g. also New Zealanders with sunk narrowboat in London go with the funding-times: Fundraising appeal after narrowboat sinks in the Regent's Canal - YBW.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55   #434
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

www.comefundmypoxyvandestadtwivloadsadosh.com

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07   #435

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
It's maybe more a sign of the US and the current (fair?) working conditions??? You cannot be in that situation, your are much too rich. I don't think, you know how it is if the options are difficult and you cannot just buy you out of a problematic situation. 1000 $ a month would hurt me also.

This said, I understand your position. - But, well, either it's a 'fake' or else it seems they could need a bit help now. Yes, maybe buying a boat was a bit risky. But aren't there far worse things than buying 'this old boat' and - hopefully - make it beautiful again?

What would all the old boats do if nobody would care any more? (In Europe a lot of boats are 'fading away' and young people are in general not interested in boating: too expensive, too much commitment).

An Alex Thomson also has to ask for money to 'feed' his racing around the world. Same for Sir Ainslie. I don't think, they feel embarassed. Failure is possible, but why not try?
Exactly blu.!! That's how we feel.. if we dont try to get her home and get on with fixing her and taking care or of her the right way, we fail. My philosophy is a failure is not someone who tries but someone who gives up. Isn't that right? If I dont learn I die. If dont try I fail. But most importantly, our goal is to get our son through school. College or military, which my Daughter has done both. Then we will be free to explore And go places I've never been, my Husband has, but not myself yet. And Misconduct will be our home and retirement life until we cant sail anymore. We dont own a home, we are by no means rich, but doesn't anyone have dreams? I know we do. Anyhow, thanks again for your comments and support. It means a lot.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa