Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 18:02   #256

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't see why.. all that's in there is a non return valve to get past and its a much shorter gravity draw than from a fuel tank..
My understanding is that the non return valve in the bulb is basically a ball that only allows a one way movement of the liquid in the line. When you squash the bulb the liquid in the bulb squirts forward moving the ball forward. Once the engine is started the fuel pump pulls the liquid forward, which in turn pulls the liquid forward. Because the ball obstructs the movement of the liquid in the fuel line the fuel pump has to work harder because the effective diameter of the fuel line is smaller with the ball than without the ball. These two factors 1)effective reduced diameter of the fuel line and 2)energy required to move the ball forward both cause the fuel pump to work harder.

While it may not be working a whole lot harder the fuel pump is working harder.

Seems to me like the gravity draw is a non factor, unless you had a really big boat with really long fuel lines.
tomfl is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 18:09   #257

Boat: Scout 30

Going after the seller & broker would be a waste of time which is clearly in short supply. Recommending it to the buyer is counterproductive. You can't buy a 38' boat for less than $12,000 & expect everything to work. Especially when it's been sitting & the add says it needs work. No survey, no sea trial, no haul out, a very cheap price & the seller's at fault? Time to learn some lessons & move on. When life gives you lemons you can either freeze them & throw them at the seller or grab some tequila & salt and watch the sunset.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 18:54   #258

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was referring to sailing up the outside averaging 100nm/day.. on a bad day..
Inside an optimistic 50miles/day
I know and I was suggesting a motor up the ICW for an inexperienced crew, an unknown and clearly lacking boat. Plus there is no wait for weather and can be done in sections. If the boat issues all turn out to be roses then head offshore from Ft Pierce or Cocoa.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 19:04   #259
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
My understanding is that the non return valve in the bulb is basically a ball that only allows a one way movement of the liquid in the line. When you squash the bulb the liquid in the bulb squirts forward moving the ball forward. Once the engine is started the fuel pump pulls the liquid forward, which in turn pulls the liquid forward. Because the ball obstructs the movement of the liquid in the fuel line the fuel pump has to work harder because the effective diameter of the fuel line is smaller with the ball than without the ball. These two factors 1)effective reduced diameter of the fuel line and 2)energy required to move the ball forward both cause the fuel pump to work harder.

While it may not be working a whole lot harder the fuel pump is working harder.

Seems to me like the gravity draw is a non factor, unless you had a really big boat with really long fuel lines.
2 versions here...

1/ For easy replacement on any portable fuel line. Made to the highest quality standards. Alcohol-resistant, suitable for use with leaded and non-leaded fuels. Primer bulb is injection molded for strength and durability. Double check valve for quick priming and unrestricted flow. Non-corrosive,*stainless steel*hose clamps.
Does Not Meet US EPA Evaporative Emission Control Requirements
Not for Sale in the United States

2/ Low Permeation Primer Bulb prevents prevents fuel evaporation saving gas and money.
Exclusive three-layer construction prevents primer bulb collapse under vacuum and ballooning/bursting under pressure.
60% more output per pump than leading competitors provides faster engine priming and fewer strokes to prime.
Exclusive inner expansion ring ensures primer bulb won't collapse during engine operation and provides 60% more pumping power than competitive single layer primer bulbs.
Exclusive outer layer is designed to prevent ballooning when under pressure.
For use with appropriate sized hoses (3/8", 5/16" or 1/4" Fuel Hose)
Operating temperature 18F - 122F
Tested to ABYC H-25 and USCG requirements.
Exclusive high-efficiency check-valves ensure faster priming and low fuel restriction (less than 1kpa restriction at 50 liters/hour).

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 19:11   #260
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Going after the seller & broker would be a waste of time which is clearly in short supply. Recommending it to the buyer is counterproductive. You can't buy a 38' boat for less than $12,000 & expect everything to work. Especially when it's been sitting & the add says it needs work. No survey, no sea trial, no haul out, a very cheap price & the seller's at fault? Time to learn some lessons & move on. When life gives you lemons you can either freeze them & throw them at the seller or grab some tequila & salt and watch the sunset.
Small Claims - Florida Courts
www​.flcourts.org/... courts /...
A small claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $5,000 or less, excluding costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Forms that have been approved for statewide use are located within the Florida Small Claims Rules.

a. Seller knew boat needed repairs which is why original contract included dock time.

b. Seller attempted to squeeze buyer by forcing last minute change and removal of dock time unless high cost paid.

c. Seller was aware buyer was commited to deal.

d. Seller caused consequential expenses that would not have been incurred had buyer been able to prepare vessel as agreed.

Small claims is really easy to do. Let a judge decide.

My money is it would be highly productive to document and file a case.

I agree this would not be worth hiring an attorney.

bait and switch
n. a dishonest sales practice in which a business advertises a bargain price for an item in order to draw customers into the store and then tells the prospective buyer that the advertised item is of poor quality or no longer available and attempts to switch the customer to a more expensive product.

The bait was vessel with adequate dock time to make ready and do repairs, the switch was no dock time imcluded and $1000 per month.
pbmaise is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 19:14   #261

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Well put, Scout. Absolutely agree.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 19:16   #262
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
THANK YOU DIRK! We really do not know anyone here and are being charged up the you know what for everything. And we started off with plenty to get her going and home, but every time we tried to get her out, we had problems. She is a really good sailing vessel, but as I said in previous replies, we were supposed to be able to keep her where she was until February, but he had health issues and we had to move her within a week. We were not prepared for that. And nor could we afford the dockage fees here, regardless, we are stuck, taking time off work now and today , after the sails and elctrcal and mechanical work my husband and I did, we start off and overheated and to make matters worse, our Gold Towing insurance does not cover for another 15 days. So we had to pay out of pocket, $458.00 for a tow 650 ft. Back to this private dock that we were supposed to be out of today. Anyhow thank you so much for your response. BTW. My Husband is from Ca. And we know there has to be others close by like us that could lead a hand or some helpful info. [emoji1]
Lash a dinghy (your dinghy if you have one) and use it to tow your own boat. Quit looking for others to solve your problem.

You got yourself into this mess by looking for a fixer upper boat for short money and then not performing an inspection or paying for a sea trial. Totally YOUR negligence.... nobody else to blame, not the broker, not the seller.

You own this problem, both of you need to pull up your big boy and girl pants and quit looking to others to fix your mess.

There.... someone needed to write it.

I'm positive everyone who's responded here including myself would gladly lend a hand if you were truly in trouble out on the water.... but you're not. You're stuck at the dock in a problem of your own creation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 19:35   #263

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

A small claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $5,000 or less, excluding costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Forms that have been approved for statewide use are located within the Florida Small Claims Rules.

a. Seller knew boat needed repairs which is why original contract included dock time.

b. Seller attempted to squeeze buyer by forcing last minute change and removal of dock time unless high cost paid.

d. Seller caused consequential expenses that would not have been incurred had buyer been able to prepare vessel as agreed.

I see litigation on a matter like this as a clear example of avarice and the suggestion of such an ethical insult.

The ICW route with an outboard on the hip seems a logical solution.
Old 04-01-2017, 19:58   #264
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I see litigation on a matter like this as a clear example of avarice and the suggestion of such an ethical insult.

The ICW route with an outboard on the hip seems a logical solution.
I agree which is why an ethical broker and seller should step forward and cover these expenses. Carebear should allow them the opportunity to do the right thing. Further, an ethical broker would not have permitted his/her client to do a bait and switch at the closing table.

We are hearing one side granted, however, in all likelihood the seller is in the wrong owing to the bait and switch.

Would these buyers have committed themselves to buying this vessel or gone to see it if they were informed up front it had to be moved immediately regardless of expense or current condition?

Would you?
pbmaise is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 20:24   #265

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

[QUOTE=Cap Erict3;2294971]I see litigation on a matter like this as a clear example of avarice and the suggestion of such an ethical insult.

hahah, you obviously are the attorney for the seller , lol.
The avarice sir is not on the buyers part it's on the part of the seller.
It was a form of bait and switch as mentioned previously.
The broker is shady and the seller partner in crime.
They saw them coming and screwed em.

Carebear give me their details and I'll call them myself !

Legalshield 25$ and no work other than the details and actions of the bait and switch purveyors . One phone call and letter. Poof!

Hey anybody ya think the seller is a cf'er ?

Carebear , don't mind kenomac. It seems that his wheaties must have even wizzed in again. He don't care for us rice n beans crowd. Shame. Occasionally he doesn't eat wheaties I think. Lol.
thruska is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 20:36   #266

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

bait and switch
n. a dishonest sales practice in which a business advertises a bargain price for an item in order to draw customers into the store and then tells the prospective buyer that the advertised item is of poor quality or no longer available and attempts to switch the customer to a more expensive product.

The bait was vessel with adequate dock time to make ready and do repairs, the switch was no dock time imcluded and $1000 per month.
Agree 100% but with three possible additions: 1/ include the broker in the small claims action. 2/ have receipts, including extra travel etc. 4/ was there a seller's wife also involved in the transaction as a seller who should be in the small claims action?
Old 04-01-2017, 20:41   #267

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Lash a dinghy (your dinghy if you have one) and use it to tow your own boat. Quit looking for others to solve your problem.

You got yourself into this mess by looking for a fixer upper boat for short money and then not performing an inspection or paying for a sea trial. Totally YOUR negligence.... nobody else to blame, not the broker, not the seller.

You own this problem, both of you need to pull up your big boy and girl pants and quit looking to others to fix your mess.

I'm positive everyone who's responded here including myself would gladly lend a hand if you were truly in trouble out on the water.... but you're not. You're stuck at the dock in a problem of your own creation.
What went wrong with your day today Sir..
Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 20:47   #268
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
What went wrong with your day today Sir..
I'm not the one with the brand new $3000 radar looking for a free tow.

Maybe the OP needs to get their priorities straightened out with a dash of reality.
Old 04-01-2017, 20:50   #269

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Keromac. what is with you? Even if you were correct about the condition of the vessel and the buyers' responsibility to inspect being a total shift of responsibility, the sudden loss of docking is not really explained, and has the sound of a scam, or at least a serious and intentional misrepresentation, with the truth not revealed if at all until the buyers were hooked. Even libertarians of the old fashioned variety thought government had a role in protecting against force and fraud. [Just for the youngsters here, the libertarian philosophy was not always about drugs.]
Old 04-01-2017, 20:55   #270
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Keromac. what is with you? Even if you were correct about the condition of the vessel and the buyers' responsibility to inspect being a total shift of responsibility, the sudden loss of docking is not really explained, and has the sound of a scam, or at least a serious and intentional misrepresentation, with the truth not revealed if at all until the buyers were hooked. Even libertarians of the old fashioned variety thought government had a role in protecting against force and fraud. [Just for the youngsters here, the libertarian philosophy was not always about drugs.]
When we purchased our Hunter 450, our situation was the same. I don't remember whining about it and looking for some free towing. We immediately shopped the San Fran Bay area for the best mooring price to hold us over for six weeks until we could sail the boat down to southern California following keel and mechanical repairs. It would have never occured to us to seek out free towing or extraction from a bad deal.

These guys just have an overheating engine at the dock (big deal) Hire a mechanic if they can't get it running with all the generous free help already offered up here on the forum.

Jeez, our keel had to be taken off and then put back on.
Closed Thread

Tags
asa