Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 23:13   #196

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It's not too clear but it sounds like the seller changed the terms prior to sale. Assuming a typical contract it's "as is". Unless there is written evidence that was not superseded, that the boat was in proper running order...That puts the burden on the buyer to get it off the dock.

There is also the very real possibility that the last time the seller took the boat out, it ran fine, so to the best of the sellers knowledge, it was running fine. 3-6months later...issues crop up. End result there was nothing nefarious going on. The OP would basically have to prove that the seller knew there was an overheating issue or had somehow warrantied the operational condition.

Another option to consider if you think you can fix it yourself is to take a couple days off work to spend working on the boat. A 5hr drive down Friday night, Work on the boat Saturday and maybe a couple hours in the morning before a 5hr drive back. That's tiring and really doesn't give you much time to actually work on the boat. Take 2-3 days off and you can essentially triple the amount of time available to work on the boat.
Perhaps...
Seaworthy is the keyword. Look at the craigslist add in the first or second page of this tread. Owner not using much since 2012? Yet claiming great boat... ?asking 18 k then 12k... obo...?
one call from Legalshield and I bet the tune changes.
Just saying...not my boat not my decision.
thruska is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 02:11   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Perhaps...
Seaworthy is the keyword. Look at the craigslist add in the first or second page of this tread. Owner not using much since 2012? Yet claiming great boat... ?asking 18 k then 12k... obo...?
one call from Legalshield and I bet the tune changes.
Just saying...not my boat not my decision.
I'm not seeing the word "seaworthy" in the ad.

It says the engine "starts right up". So far the OP has not indicated a starting problem, so there is no indication of false advertising. The ad never said it didn't have an overheating problem.

Also the ad clearly indicates little use in the last 5yrs and "The boat is a project in that she needs a lot of work and updating of equipment" so it clearly was not a turn key boat ready to head out into the wilds. Huge difference between a boat you could live on at dock (aka: liveaboard ready)and one ready for offshore work.

For those abusing the seller and broker, from the ad, it sounds like they were up front that the boat had issues. As long as the dockage situation was made clear before the deal was finalized, it's the OP's problem to get it off the dock.

While I feel for the OP, the denigration of the seller and his broker appears to be misplaced. Unfortunately, the "cheapest" boat is not always the cheapest.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 05:02   #198

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I cannot imagine how goat's post could possibly improve the situation. The implication that the man is masterful and the woman a ditz is extremely offensive to me, at any rate. We, in truth, know nothing of Carrie and her husband's communication skills.

What we do know is that they got in a little over their heads--maybe even a lot--and she has been trying to improve their situation. For that Goat denigrates her and by extension, all women. Boy, Goat, i sure wish you hadn't written that. You may feel jaded, but is that really an excuse?

Carrie has been trying to communicate about things she has no prior experience of. Some of the posters are trying to help. We all started out somewhere. Sheesh!

Ann
I agree, my post was meant to be light hearted, and came across worse than poorly. I apologise to carebear and anyone else offended. I'm just using the mobile app so don't know how to report the offending post, if someone could notify one of the moderators and have the post removed, it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if anyone knows of an app than requires a sobriety test before posting, that also would be appreciated.
Once again, apologies.

goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I agree Ann, but I am reasonably sure she knows when to ignore and recognize when this particular Goat has Nanny issues.
goat is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 05:03   #199

Boat: PSC Orion 27

'Nanny issues' was a good one, Pelagic.
goat is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 05:07   #200
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Terry, If you sell a car and you know the brakes dont work and insist the buyer drives it home immediately after purchase and prevent them from making the repair, who is liable for the accident? It doesn't matter if you told the buyer the brakes don't work. It doesn't matter if a buyer signed 100 pages of waivers and disclosures. The seller remains on the hook especially since everyone but you think it was reasonable to allow the vessel to stay in that slip until ready to move.

PS Luke and Jackie and the skipperkes say hello.
pbmaise is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 05:14   #201

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I read ALL and EVERYTHING.

You were pushed out of dock (based upon verbal/written agreement???) upon the (wrong) assumption that boat could sail away. No way.

I would check for:
- can i be back to the original slip? (If empty, and feasible, i would, unless owner has changed!)
- asking the broker an overhaul (btw your boat NEED one ASAP) at very goood terms

Market intelligence!
You desperately miss it, and NEED IT !
GO LOCAL! spare parts, chandlers, mechanic! (Come on.. unless your man is a pro)
Spend time on dock, ask, check out. You come from northern Florida btw, not BC.. work on it even during the week
Consider local overhaul, if not at broker's facility (if any, he must know the whereabouts...)

If you insist in moving by your means back home.. either by outboard gas engine (6HP minimum on a side-dink), it is quick solution, far better than tow!!
or by inboard engine (but cleaning tanks will eat on time) and it cant be totally safe.

Sailors have these type of problems all the time, but preferably not in close quarters, in expensive waters (is Ft.Lauderdale your Montecarlo??? I missed that...) and in a totally new to you boat.

Wish you best :-) and dont lose your temper :-)

Cheers
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 05:26   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
'Nanny issues' was a good one, Pelagic.

I found yours a lively comedian essay, and smiled at that.
It stressed communication as an issue too (true).

Yes, it worked out of some wrong/abused/misplaced roles, but... can we give room to lightness? Or do we have to remain stuck to the severity of the Euripides' choirs?

Incidentally, it was a way to question why the co-owner never surfaced here for better info (namely, model/type of engine first)
Old 04-01-2017, 05:41   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Terry, If you sell a car and you know the brakes dont work and insist the buyer drives it home immediately after purchase and prevent them from making the repair, who is liable for the accident? It doesn't matter if you told the buyer the brakes don't work. It doesn't matter if a buyer signed 100 pages of waivers and disclosures. The seller remains on the hook especially since everyone but you think it was reasonable to allow the vessel to stay in that slip until ready to move.

PS Luke and Jackie and the skipperkes say hello.
I assume bona fide on everyone involved.

The boat was sold at 12k down from 18k, cleary stated as good for liveaboard, NOT sailing in blue waters!

As there was a kind request to relinquish the slip 2 month before expected... buyer SAID/Underwrote WHAT?

A) Yes, fine. I saved 6k on requested price. I have cushion for any mishaps occurring.
B) Yes, but i need to remain here at your/broker's expense, till when i can sail off under my full awareness/responsibility.
C) Yes, but.. Do you assure me that i can sail/motor back home? (Internal waters)

New owners must consider what happened...and what was told, assured, simply imagined, or underwritten. We dont know.
I would have behaved like under B), or REFUSED TO TOUCH BOAT UNDER MY RESPONSIBILITY,or pretended for a written admission of feasibility sub C).

ANYWAY, any purchase agreement should work under like- sub C terms:

Any purchase has a guaranty covering hidden structural faults, even in case of "as it is" clause (btw, AS IT IS includes that ENGINE starts and keep being operating...)
The boat was sold as a sailing boat, maybe not "ready" but apt to sail after good care, NOT after outages, few miles, and heavy substitutions or important/ necessary changes..

Waiving a sea trial leaves both parts liable to further evidence Later on (oops, NOW)

WRITE IT ALL DOWN, ASK FOR SUPPORT, OR CHARGE THEM...

Brokers/sellers knew of your need to move to Jacksonville under their pressing request! (I ASSUME THIS, AND BELIEVE SO,AND THAT YOU HAVE WITNESSES THEREOF)

As far as THEY state that main is " as new", they must state as well what doesnt work, and what needs to be changed before using a boat as a boat.
Ignorance, even in bona fide, is no excuse to not being liable of "incorrect representation"
Old 04-01-2017, 06:10   #204
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Carebear.. Ignore all tank cleaning, X amount Racor and engine fuel filters, Blah Blah.. this is crap you can sort out at home..
Just get 2 x 25litres jerry cans of fuel and get hubby to buy some hose to run a flow and return direct from a jerry can to the engine.. this will ensure clean fuel all the way home.. your only going to be motoring dawn to dusk so 50litres should be plenty to get you from one fuel station to another for topping up.. set up costs minimal.. price of hose and diesel.. borrow the containers..
Can be set up in 1/2hr.. I've used this set up on the Ocean so up the ICW is no sweat.
Fuel probs sorted... NEXT..!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 06:34   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Carebear.. Ignore all tank cleaning, X amount Racor and engine fuel filters, Blah Blah.. this is crap you can sort out at home..
Just get 2 x 25litres jerry cans of fuel and get hubby to buy some hose to run a flow and return direct from a jerry can to the engine.. this will ensure clean fuel all the way home.. your only going to be motoring dawn to dusk so 50litres should be plenty to get you from one fuel station to another for topping up.. set up costs minimal.. price of hose and diesel.. borrow the containers..
Can be set up in 1/2hr.. I've used this set up on the Ocean so up the ICW is no sweat.
Fuel probs sorted... NEXT..!!!
Yap
Consider one empty jerrycan for fuel return
Forget the tank
Possibly buy new hose pipes and clips
Transparent jerrycans are cheaper and allow you to see where your curved hose pipe ends up !
Old 04-01-2017, 06:34   #206

Boat: Boatless at the moment

much to simple solution...

Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 06:37   #207
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
much to simple solution...

Most things are if you approach it like it is simple.
YOu soon find out when it isnt...

weavis is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 06:37   #208

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I don't think they were looking for advice they were looking for help with a tow . Just saying.
Yes, that's what they were asking for.

Many of us think that towing their boat is not the best solution for their problem and are offering alternative suggestions. More realistic suggestions. Many of us have been boating longer than they have and have more experience.

If you want the right answer, you have to ask the right question.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:38   #209
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Carrie,

If fuel tank is a concern...
boatman61's advice is excellent and practical to get you to your home port.

Let us know if you have found other issues that concern you?

There are a number of us here who are/were professional delivery skippers

We face these boat delivery problems all the time and have developed quick fixes to get the boat to its new home.

We are all here to help!
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 06:42   #210
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I don't think they were looking for advice they were looking for help with a tow . Just saying.
Unfortunately the asking for a tow bit hit all sort of legal and logistical snags. BECAUSE of that reason, people asked if they could help with the problem but did not know what the problem was/is.

I dont think it was meant any other way than to be helpful... here on CF advice is often backed up with physical help... Ive seen it many times...

weavis is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa