Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 11:29   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Thanks for your response. We do have Boat US. But we just bought the boat and they would cover it, but We have to have it for 30 days. The problem with where we are is yes, it's expensive, however, the man that sold her to us said we could keep the vessel in his private slip until Feb. And he became ill and the family requested us to move her. So we didn't really have time to set anything up.
Looks like you got a good deal. Listing says the Westerbeke "starts right up" so clearly that turned out to be wrong. If you paid already, on the understanding that the engine worked, I would tell the previous owner that if they want the boat moved then they should pay for a mechanic to come fix it as you're not getting what was advertised.
Suijin is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 11:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. To update and clarify, we bought the 39 ft. Temple Marine from a private owner about a month ago in Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to be able to keep it at their private dock, however, the man took I'll family came down and we had to move it asap. This was after we bought her. We live in Jacksonville and we don't have the money to keep her in Ft. Lauderdale. But with the short time we had, we are running out of options to just get through the bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. To add.. We just got the insurance and tow package on her, but have to have it 30 days for them to cover the tow.
Hello again.

Is this the boat you bought?
1980 Temple Marine Yawl S & S design, Fort Lauderdale Florida - boats.com

IF so, the sale listing says it has a 2001 (repowered) Westerbeke 45hp engine that "starts right up" and a unused mainsail.

This may seem like a dumb question, but since you say you just purchased the boat, I do wonder if the reason for the need for a tow is due to an engine malfunction or possibly something that could be "fixed" without requiring a tow.

Is there a problem starting the engine your boat?
Or...Is there some other reason to request a tow?

Please be specific. It may help others here on CF help you with suggestions to "fix" your problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	138797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	138798  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 11:46   #18

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, so what is wrong with the yacht engine?

In the UK you can pay someone reasonable expenses without requiring commercial coding and insurance. For example a group of lads having a whip round to pay the fuel costs for a fishing trip. As a diving club we certainly did a few jobs for a donation to club funds. Does this work in the US?

As for the towing, its not exactly rocket science, in close quarters, tie the powered vessel along side and towards the stern will enable steerage. At sea a long rope to give some stretch. Keep the speed down or the towed vessel will start bow steering.

However, I would be more concerned about sailing what 270 miles? in a yacht with no engine and possibly no charging for batteries, at this time of year which will include at least one night in a boat that may have other problems.

Is it this one?

http://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1.../#.WGlZLflIAdU

Pete
Thanks Pete and yes that's our boat. Our problem isnt really motor issues. It's getting through the bridges. And getting her home .
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 11:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If u need a tow it means your engine isn't working.

How are you going to get into Jacksonville?
We need a tow because of bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. Not engine issues. We have engine power, but not a way to menuver the boat in the heavy traffic in the isles. Thanks[emoji1]
Old 01-01-2017, 11:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I have been towed, and have given tows. Conditions were never very challenging, but there were no issues doing so. Not sure why there would be, as long as both crews know what they’re doing.

To the OP; is there a local yacht club or marina? Sounds like you’re alone on your current dock, but most boaters in the real world (as opposed to this fantasy land) are pretty good, friendly and helpful folks. If you could find some to talk to, face-to-face, I think you’d have a better chance of finding help.
Exactly Mike. Thanks and we are currently working on that.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:54   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Pete and yes that's our boat. Our problem isnt really motor issues. It's getting through the bridges. And getting her home .
I hope you won't be offended by this simple suggestion or question. I ask it to help.

IF the boat is mechanically sound (engine and systems working) and IF the issue is simply a lack of experience navigating that local area, then offering to compensate some local "experienced skipper" to help you may be the answer that does not require a tow (and it's possible problems).

A local CF member could be probably be induced to help provide on board guidance to the open water, without requiring them to use their own boat (and the possible damages a tow could incur).

Is the issue really just a lack of experience or confidence in maneuvering the "new to you" boat in those local waters/canals/bridges?

Put another way, is the request for help navigating the bridges because you have not done so in a boat this size before?
Old 01-01-2017, 12:00   #22

Quote:
We need a tow because of bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. Not engine issues. We have engine power, but not a way to menuver the boat in the heavy traffic in the isles. Thanks[emoji1]
That makes no sense. A towed vessel has even less maneuverability.

Warning to any good Samaritan - tow a unseaworthy boat and crew out to sea and you're legally and morally responsible for what happens to them. Even if they're being coy and dishonest about something.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 12:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I hope you won't be offended by this simple suggestion or question. I ask it to help.

IF the boat is mechanically sound (engine and systems working) and IF the issue is simply a lack of experience navigating that local area, then offering to compensate some local "experienced skipper" to help you may be the answer that does not require a tow (and it's possible problems).

A local CF member could be probably be induced to help provide on board guidance to the open water, without requiring them to use their own boat (and the possible damages a tow could incur).

Is the issue really just a lack of experience or confidence in maneuvering the "new to you" boat in those local waters/canals/bridges?
Not offended. I think I explained the issues in a previous post, however, as experience is not the issue, my husband has not had the time and space with the boat to solve problems witch seem to be minor, but none the less, we just need to get to an open area to fix it. In my updated post I said that we were supposed to have more time where we were, but the original owner had health issues. So now we are under stress of how the boat maneuvers in the canal or on this river. Thanks .
Old 01-01-2017, 12:11   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

carebear1968,

It seems to me that there is a communications problem here, the core of which is our (your readers) not understanding why the boat needs an assist through bridges.

Is the rudder not working?

A clear statement of the mechanical deficiencies that underlie your request for a tow would be helpful. Otherwise, your request begins to sound not legitimate, as if there is a hidden agenda.

Ann
Old 01-01-2017, 12:19   #25

Duplicate post. The quote did not take.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 12:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, I towed a boat once that had flipped and dumped the people in the water, the whole time I was shadowed by FWC like a criminal.
Sea Tow was there but they couldn't afford them, Sea Tow eventually left.
I later found out that if I had accepted payment, that would have made it illegal. They offered, but I figured they needed the money to save the motor, and I didn't need the money.
I assume Sea Tow and Boat US have a strong lobbying presence in Fl., and this may actually be illegal.

So, I'll Tow to help someone out, and maybe let them work it off if they feel the need, clean the bottom or something, but I will never accept a nickel. I think that may make you responsible and maybe make you a professional?

Do you have a dinghy, one that could hip Tow you?
You're a good man and a true sailor for helping a fellow boaties out like this. We should all help out fellow boaties in distress as long as their problems don't become ours. It's a code we should all follow.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 12:32   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not offended. I think I explained the issues in a previous post, however, as experience is not the issue, my husband has not had the time and space with the boat to solve problems witch seem to be minor, but none the less, we just need to get to an open area to fix it. In my updated post I said that we were supposed to have more time where we were, but the original owner had health issues. So now we are under stress of how the boat maneuvers in the canal or on this river. Thanks .
Hi.
I am glad you are not offended. And as always, what I write here on CF is truly with friendly intent.

I know many CF members prefer brevity of posts/comments.

But, I think if the Original (top most) Post is too brief or too vague it can cause confusion, needed questions, some skepticism, and very often defensiveness, that is unnecessary.

My Simple Suggestion for Forum Members: When making a new topic post (Original Post) be very specific and post as much detail as possible in the Original Post to clearly describe the need or situation.

In this situation, your short statements, vague information in the Original Post, and brief answers lead to more questions, and often your answers seem to be missing some likely information. What happens then is some CF members may not read ALL of the answers in a thread, and so they may miss something factual and make assumptions, which may be wrong.

Here is an example:
From what you have posted so far, it appears to me that this is an issue of the captain or new owners of a new to them old boat lacking sailing skills (maneuvering the boat) and not so much a non-working engine.

That is an assessment based on your previous answers and some things that don't seem to "add up."

What doesn't add up?
If the boat is seaworthy and has a working engine, and a competent experienced captain and crew, it should have no problem navigating the typical canals, ICW, traffic, and harbors found in the Florida coast, if proper attention is given to local conditions.

If the boat is "good to go" but the crew is inexperienced, then hiring a more experienced captain would be prudent to move the boat, under its own power. We are not talking about a large ship, if it is a 39 foot boat. An experienced helmsman would be better than a tow. Asking for a tow, indicates there is some kind of problem with the boat or crew (in this kind of situation).

IF you are relatively new to sailing (or boats) or new to sailing a boat this size, AND on top of that you have an unfamilar boat in an unfamiliar location, it is natural that you may lack some confidence needed for the voyage.

That is what I assume, based on seeing similarly vague posts from others over the years. Of course I could be wrong.

My main point?
Provide the forum with enough detail and information to avoid unnecessary assumptions. Better help comes from better informed helpers.

So, inform them honestly and openly of what the situation is, your level of experience sailing (if that is part of the concern you have) and lack of experience in an area (if that is true). Stuff like that makes perfect sense and is nothing to be ashamed of or hidden from friends or people from whom you seek help.

Based on what has been revealed so far, I suspect that paying for someone to helm/maneuver the boat would solve your problem of getting the boat out to sea, IF the boat is mechanically sound (engine and steering working) and seaworthy. In short, find someone experienced maneuvering a boat that size in that area (and that should be easy to find).
Old 01-01-2017, 13:01   #28

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Finding it very difficult to make any sense out of the OP's posting.

I think most of us would tow someone to safety. The OP is safely in a slip and wants to be towed to "open water" ( I presume the Atlantic ocean) to fix the boat. This makes no sense whatsoever.

It would be interesting to know the true story.
Old 01-01-2017, 13:13   #29

I too don't understand at all. If the motor is working why do you need a tow to open water?
OP: If your boat is working, just go thru the bridges yourself. Just learn to take care approaching bridges and circle around early waiting for an opening. It's really not hard. There is current under the bridge at times, thus stay back and circle until it opens. I went thru over a dozen bridges in one day in the Ft L area. There are often no other boats going thru. but a couple at most.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 13:29   #30
SFS

To the OP:

If you have BOAT US towing, unless they have changed their policy since I last used them, the 30-day exclusion applies only to tows from your home dock. I found myself in this very situation 10 days after buying my boat, where I had an issue in my home slip.

However, based on what you have posted, the boat is definitely not at your home dock, so the tow should be covered, if you bought the unlimited towing package. I would call BOAT US (not the towing end, the insurance end) and ask them to verify what you have been told, or your understanding of it. If you did not buy the unlimited towing package (I may not be calling it the right thing, it could be "Gold" or something), ask them what it would cost to upgrade to that level, and whether there is a waiting period for certain tows (like dock to dock, or home dock to anywhere).

If the 30-day exclusion applies to any tow either FROM or TO your home dock, then that is a different issue. But it is worth checking. If your destination is not a dock or slip, that may make a difference as well.

Having said all that, I agree with various posters that something is starting to not add up. If you need our help, we need more info.

If the boat runs, floats, and has the requisite safety gear and ground tackle on board, it should be movable. Drawbridges are not insurmountable obstacles, though with limited experience they may seem so. If you need an experienced boater on board, state that. There may be folks near you willing to help. A licensed captain will expect to be paid, someone who is not licensed cannot (legally) be paid.

I can think of no repair that requires being in an "open area". It is perhaps this comment that has me the most worried about your situation.
SFS is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa