Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 09:33   #1

Boat: 1972 Columbia 30'
Naming and renaming ceremony?

Greetings folks,

The skipper and I are renaming the boat and naming the dinghy for the first time. Any traditions or ceremonies that I should be aware of before undertaking the task? Would appreciate any tips or references to sites you've got!

Larissa
luckywizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:49   #2

Re: Naming and renaming ceremony?

Do people still harbor these silly kind of rituals these days?? I guess superstition is still alive and well but I will never understand it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:52   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

If you're not suspicious, make it a happy occasion with plenty of food and drinks for all your friends. First, say something nice to the old name and drink to passages gone by. Have everyone stand on the bow and make toasts to the new name or to beautiful days of sailing. You could even take several days to complete the process with a clergy for an official Christening. There are plenty of sites about renaming ceremonies, just do a search on this. Drinking seems to be the key ingredient you shouldn't overlook. Of course, some will tell you they'd never set foot on a boat that has been renamed. Their loss...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 10:02   #4

Haha, the only reason we became superstitious is skipper's brother pulled the silver dollar off the mast step before they moved the boat south to the new port and they ended up having everything possible go wrong (granted they should have replaced the lines before attempting to sail anywhere, even just a few miles down the Bay) and lodging securely onto a Chesapeake sandbar

The silver dollar is going back in before it hits the water again, needless to say. And superstition is alive and well with us
Old 18-02-2014, 10:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Of course, some will tell you they'd never set foot on a boat that has been renamed. Their loss...
I can think of a few bigger reasons people might not set foot on the boat and it will probably have more to do with the fact that it's a big ol', poorly-maintained (beautiful, wonderful, amazing) hunk of junk!
Old 18-02-2014, 10:06   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The urine of a virgin was involved in such ceremonies. So you can see that died out then !!!

Dave
Old 18-02-2014, 10:13   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Boat Denaming & Renaming

First you must remove all physical traces of the boat's old name. Take the old log book ashore, along with any other papers that bear the old name. Check for offending books and charts with the name inscribed. Be ruthless. Sand away the old name from the lifebuoys, transom, top-side, dinghy, and oars. Yes, sand it away. And don't place the new name anywhere on the boat before the denaming ceremony is carried out.

The last part of the ceremony, the libation, must be performed at the bow, just as it is in a naming ceremony. Pour the whole bottle of champagne on the bow of the boat. Buy a second bottle if you want some.

What sort of time period should elapse between this denaming ceremony and a new naming ceremony? There's no fixed time. You can do the renaming right after the denaming, if you want, but I personally would prefer to wait at least 24 hours to give any lingering demons a chance to clear out.

Vigor's Denaming Ceremony

"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known (_____), be struck and removed from your records.

"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea." Now you can pop the cork, shake the bottle of champagne and spray the whole of the contents on the bow.

Christening Ceremony

After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________ and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 10:16   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywizard View Post
Greetings folks,

The skipper and I are renaming the boat and naming the dinghy for the first time. Any traditions or ceremonies that I should be aware of before undertaking the task? Would appreciate any tips or references to sites you've got!

Larissa

Make sure the new name is spelled right BEFORE putting it on the boat.
Old 18-02-2014, 12:22   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywizard View Post
I can think of a few bigger reasons people might not set foot on the boat and it will probably have more to do with the fact that it's a big ol', poorly-maintained (beautiful, wonderful, amazing) hunk of junk!
And this is why she and Poseidon are going to approve of the new name - out with old and neglected; in with new and amazing. Superstition is fun as long as you don't actually believe in it

But you do know that if it is documented, then re-documentation of the new name will cost ya...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 12:34   #10

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

I followed this-http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

It was fun! Had a big party during the christening.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 13:06   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

it can be a really fun party that your friends will remember for a long time.

Also for all the nay sayers remember there is no such thing as an atheist in a fox hole (or fighting hole for Marines). Just as if you are in a S*&! sandwich in the open water and all hell is breaking loose you will be praying to every God, superstition, and bit of karma you can to get you through. I say it's good luck, and like I said a bit of fun partying with friends.

No I am not superstitious, but the piss scared for my life me, is very superstitious.
Old 18-02-2014, 15:05   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Are you near Jamaica or Louisiana? You'll find the right person to inflict the ceremony if you just ask around in the right quarter.