Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 17:36   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
Name change on new to me documented vessel

So, I filed the paperwork to transfer the new to me documented vessel into my name. My question is, when do I change the name on the boat? Do I change it right away or wait till I receive the official paperwork saying it is officially in my name? I need to leave Brunswick Georgia next week to head for the Chesapeake Bay. I don't want any problems with the coasties on the way. The paperwork was filed about 6 weeks ago, but with the covid excuse lord knows when I will receive it.
Blue Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 17:46   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Name change on new to me documented vessel

Did you buy this through a broker? If so they should have given you "running papers" to keep with the boat until you get the official docs. If not, you should keep a copy of the bill of sale and your application.

As for the name, if it has a name on it now that is all that you need for time being.
Old 22-04-2021, 18:06   #3

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Blue Claw:

My "swag" --scientific wild ass guess -- is that the name wouldn't be an issue with the USCG. But I wouldn't depart without something-from-someone proving you actually own the boat.

Perhaps you should call the closest Coast Guard office and ask them.

"When to change the name" = NOT until you pour a libation over the bow and ask Neptune's permission! <grin>
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 18:37   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

If I recall correctly when documenting a vessel there USED TO BE a special form for a name change that had to be filed separately from the application for documentation. There was also a form for certifying that the name and hailing port were properly marked.
This is no longer the case, the name change and marking and documentation application are all together on the same form.
Email the NVDC or use their online chat.
They will give you the correct answer, better than my memory.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 19:08   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

We changed the name of our boat, submitted the paperwork (kept copies) and had to move the boat. The Documentation regulations require the name and hailing port of the vessel to show, so we used blue masking tape to write them on the transom in the required size. Sailed like that for several weeks. Then the vinyl lettering arrived, and the CG paperwork. No problems.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 20:05   #6

Ours is document, we switched it when sending paperwork to the USCG to reflect the change of ownership. Same doc. and hull number, but new name. It took us 2.5 month to get paperwork back and we sailed with the old name because i was too lazy to order new vinyl.

You can put new name on it now, no biggie.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 21:59   #7

Typically you would do the name change on the same paperwork as the ownership change. Since that didn’t happen, file a new form to change the name. The info is on the coast guard website and you can find it (with instructions) with a google search.

I’ve always been told you can change the name on the boat once the paperwork is filed. Not sure that is official policy, but seems to be commonly done with no issues. If you have a pro do the application, they provide a “travelling letter” than explains that the application has been filed and you are awaiting your documentation. I haven’t had to use it so I can’t confirm its effectiveness.
marlin driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:04   #8

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

I used a broker when I bought my documented 30’ boat five years ago. The broker put my boat’s new name in on the forms she filed for me with the change in ownership. All done in one action. Broker earned their commission.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:18   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Claw View Post
...........when do I change the name on the boat? Do I change it right away or wait till I receive the official paperwork saying it is officially in my name?...........
You can change it as soon as convenient after you have the notorized sale agreement in hand and your "traveling letter" from from the marine title company OR copy of form CG-1258 application for name change.

That said, I recently purchased a boat, removed its old boat's name and hailing port and installed its new name and hailing port immediately two weeks after purchase BUT prior to moving the boat to its new home 75 miles away.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:45   #10

Boat: Adams 45

You can find current processing backlog and your application status on the USCG documentation website.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:56   #11

Boat: Hunter 46

You do not have to wait until you receive the USCG "Certificate of Documentation" before you change the boat name because that will take months. Once you own the boat it you can do whatever you want, including replacing boat name. If you have any concerns with thios process either call the USCG OR pay a marine title company to submit application and provide you a traveling letter......only takes a day after they receive the notorized bill of sale. I just did that.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 23:00   #12
Marine Service Provider

Confusing. Are you talking about a name change for the boat or the owner's name on the documentation certificate?

A owner's name different from yours on the certificate is not a problem, just have copies of all your filings with USCG to show the transfer is in progress. The Coasties won't care if the owner's name is Joe Blow but don't change the name on the back of the boat until you have all official documents in hand.

I've operated dozens of boat that I didn't own, but was only boarded on one of them.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men