Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2022, 04:41   #16
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48
Re: my crazy dream

Many countries do spot checks of immigration documents. You don't want to get caught and spend time in a central American jail. Checking in doesn't cost very much. The risk/reward ratio favors checking in .
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:31   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapping boomer View Post
ok, I am old and fat, but i have a dream....now, i have only been sailing once before--on my brother's catamaran in a lake...but I have a dream--to leave this boring life behind and head for the tropics in a cheap catamaran bought off of craigslist for maybe $2000 or so...

i would buy the cat and fix it up and learn how to sail...i would construct some sort of waterproof towable storage compartment to tow behind the cat...

once I am ready, i would trailer the cat to south texas and launch the boat and head south...i would need to get a mexican visa first...

I would carry water and a little stove and my personal documents in the storage thingy because there is no room on cat tramp for that...

i would head south to central america, sticking close to the shore and beaching the cat at night...if a storm comes up, i just head for the beach which is nearby...

i would live off fish i catch as well as seaweed and maybe i can pick some fruit once i beach in the evening...

if the boat needs repair, I would dock it and pay for repairs at a marina...or just fix it myself...when the cat reaches the end of its life, i would just buy an old handmade wooden sailboat in some small coastal village...probably cost a pittance...

with a small sailboat, i would be extremely low profile and could dispense with such niceties as visas...just cruise up and down the atlantic coast of central america and mexico for the rest of my life....gazing up at stars at night and pondering the tragedy of existence...

when i grow old and weary of life, the sea mother beckons and i would take comfort in its cold embrace...

Landing on beaches without clearing in will have you staring at the stars through a prison window.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:53   #18

Maybe that's the retirement plan. Free room and board in a tropical paradise.

Though, personally, when just about ready to spend my remaining days sitting down, I'd do a bank. If I succeed. Great. If I get caught. Great :-)
Mariefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 20:03   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Whether this is (as I suspect) a troll or not, I don’t feel like encouraging similar ideas in people without any sailing experience. These threads are read over and over for many years, and the last thing I want to do is give (even jokingly) false expectations that facing an open water crossing on a Hobie is a piece of cake. It is not.
Old 12-09-2022, 20:46   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

What could possibly go wrong
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 06:47   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Step 1.
Start by living on caught fish and stealing fruit off trees in your area if choice. If you are still alive after 6 months go on to step 2.

Step 2. Doesnt matter. It wont work.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 07:25   #22

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapping boomer View Post
i would head south to central america, sticking close to the shore and beaching the cat at night...if a storm comes up, i just head for the beach which is nearby...

Try this on for size. A storm comes up and there are nothing but rocks on the shoreline. If you beach, the rocks and the surf will destroy your boat.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 07:34   #23

Boat: no boat any more

…another troll in the „how- many-replies-can-I-elicit-with-BS“ competition.
Soooo many's conjunctives …!
Old 16-09-2022, 08:28   #24

Why not . Go for it !!!!!
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 08:42   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You should investigate the Wharram series of cats....sounds perfect for you...

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...=33&so=descend
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 08:46   #26

Well it can be done but not exactly the way you’re planning.

Here’s a few concerns.

Shelter. There’s none on a beach cat. It gets hot and wet in the tropics.

Water and food You’ll need a supply with you. Not every beach has fresh water and fruit.

Visas. You’ll either need visas and a passport. Or you could take lube and a Spanish language course as both will be very handy in prison. I’m not joking. You’ll need to pick one of these options.

My suggestion.

Get to the US coast. Cruise the boat yards for a free small sailboat 20-30ft. There will be many abandoned. Fix it up , learn to sail , get your paperwork and finances in order. And off you go.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 08:51   #27

Hey all,
I've been a lurker on this site since 2019. Literally, every day. I think this is my first post! Or at least close.

carlosproa: what a great, helpful reply (the long one with 10 links; maybe not the Yuloh part.) Makes me want to try it too.

I was just going to point him to Sam Holmes' sailing channel, but someone beat me to it...

Great forum. Very helpful. Even for us lurkers. My first charter with me as the Capt is Dec 2022 in the Bahamas!

Nash
ToddNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 09:37   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

He might last a few hours to a day or two before he quits.

Old folks with no sailing experience on beach cats don't cruise anywhere on beach cats because they have like a 76 to 1 Sail Area to ballast ratio.

This means you have to "sail" them all the time or you are in the water as are all your supplies.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 09:46   #29

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I would say go for it, but do it in something like a Tartan 27, Pearson Triton, etc. The right price range, and infinitely more comfortable. And a better platform to learn how to sail.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 09:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
Let's tweak your dream a little.

I'm thinking a flying submarine with a hot tub and a gourmet kitchen would be a whole lot better.
I think siamese may be the only one who gets it that the OP is just teasing.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote