Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 21:35   #61

Boat: Custom 55
Re: My boat's too big... I hear it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Now that's hilarious, but why so? I mean, what is it makes them think you're not 'a snobby rich guy' owner?? (Just curious)
Well, I'm in my 40's, and probably pretty obviously a commercial fisherman... Long hair, usually shorts and a Carhartt shirt rather than designer sailing clothes.

We mix very well with real cruisers, but the weekend yachties don't really know what to make of us! We had some pretty comical exchanges in New England in particular. The Newport crowd was interesting, to say the least!
Old 13-10-2017, 21:38   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Yes, Dale. svrocketscience.com. There is a technical details tab on the top which describes the boat in great detail. More than anybody really needs to know, it was written by Bill Lee. Some of the engineering that was done during the build is really staggering. We're incredibly lucky to own her.
Wow!! I was so content with my boat 10mins ago. Very impressive.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 21:48   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Wow!! I was so content with my boat 10mins ago. Very impressive.
Thanks, Dale. Remember-the view from everybody's deck is the same.

We were really fortunate to score this boat.

Interestingly, the very topic of this thread-(too big, too powerful, etc, etc) ws the very reason we were able to purchase RS. She sat on the market for a long time, because almost no cruisers were interested, and no racers either. It's a VERY small market for a ride like this, and we were able to make ourselves a really good deal.

We were pretty intimidated at first. Jenny was alone on watch the first time we started surfing over 15 knots. She finally called me up on deck, looking a little horrified, but all was under perfect control. On autopilot, no less. A revelation!

We got over the intimidation very quickly. You just need to be a little more cautious.

The Catalina's a fine cruising boat, too. We knew a couple in Vallarta who cruised all over the Pacific for the better part of a decade, and were very happy.
Old 13-10-2017, 22:03   #64

Boat: Catalina 470

My boats just under 48 feet and I have to admit it was a little intimidating at first. Got caught a couple of times with to much sail up, you soon get a lesson in the power of the wind.
As Humans we adapt, and it's no longer intimidating, I just wouldn't want smaller.
I'm still not as confident going into marinas as I'd like to be but this is just a practice thing, no bow thruster and alot of prop walk.
The biggest thing with a bigger boat is, it's just more homely (comfortable) the girlfriend doesn't get of for days. More comfortable at anchor and underway.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 22:06   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yes, Dale. svrocketscience.com. There is a technical details tab on the top which describes the boat in great detail. More than anybody really needs to know, it was written by Bill Lee. Some of the engineering that was done during the build is really staggering. We're incredibly lucky to own her.
TJ, I don't often bother reading blogs, but you piqued my curiosity and I had a read. And, I'm glad I did... what a well thought out boat she is. I understand your enthusiasm. Very seldom does that combination of performance, comfort (if Bill is to be believed!) and practicality get put together, and all with the consideration of short handed sailing.

I like her... but I also can see where the innocent bystander might think her to be a bit much for a short crew... they can't see or likely understand how much planning has gone into making her suitable for you.

Wonderful boat!

Jim

PS Ain't it grand to have a boat where you feel lucky to have found and acquired her!
Old 13-10-2017, 22:09   #66

Quote:
My boats just under 48 feet and I have to admit it was a little intimidating at first. Got caught a couple of times with to much sail up, you soon get a lesson in the power of the wind.
As Humans we adapt, and it's no longer intimidating, I just wouldn't want smaller.
I'm still not as confident going into marinas as I'd like to be but this is just a practice thing, no bow thruster and alot of prop walk.
The biggest thing with a bigger boat is, it's just more homely (comfortable) the girlfriend doesn't get of for days. More comfortable at anchor and underway.
I feel you, friend. We also have no thrusters, and we have the additional handicap of the rudders being nowhere near the propeller. Our boat does not steer at all unless it's going a couple of knots in one direction or the other. RS has made me look like a fool more than once, which is particularly hard for me, being a pro skipper and all. Oh well, we've gotten used to it. We painted the boat a couple of years ago, and still only have a couple of little scratches, so we're doing ok, but I do understand the stress you mention.

If I could tolerate the weight and complication, I'd put a retractable thruster in the bow, but getting through the longitudinals (they all converge up there) and all the kevlar and carbon would be a really big undertaking.
Old 13-10-2017, 22:15   #67

Boat: Colegate 26

Oh, My, God, Becky. Look at his boat. It's soooo big.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 22:15   #68

[QUOTE=Wonderful boat

PS Ain't it grand to have a boat where you feel lucky to have found and acquired her![/QUOTE]

It certainly is. I take it you feel the same about Insatiable. She's certainly served you well for a long time.

My only source of anxiety with RS is that with my disposable income, I will absolutely, positively never be able to replace her with something even remotely resembling her.

Just for kicks, I asked a well known composite builder what it would cost in today's dollars to build a sister, and the answer floored me.

I guess I'll just have to keep her forever. Don't tell my wife...

Thanks for the compliments. Believe it or not, we're the 5th owners.

TJ
Old 13-10-2017, 22:20   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Oh, My, God, Becky. Look at his boat. It's soooo big.
I was afraid that this thread might morph into this-understandable from the title. If you read post #1, it's absolutely not a 'look at me, my boat's big' thread. More a question about why so many of our peers think that there's a maximum size for a couple to sail safely.
Old 13-10-2017, 22:57   #70

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
I was afraid that this thread might morph into this-understandable from the title. If you read post #1, it's absolutely not a 'look at me, my boat's big' thread. More a question about why so many of our peers think that there's a maximum size for a couple to sail safely.
I was quoting Sir Mix A Lot
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 23:02   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Well, that just goes to show how utterly out of touch I am with pop-culture references. I don't even know who that is...
Old 13-10-2017, 23:11   #72

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Well, that just goes to show how utterly out of touch I am with pop-culture references. I don't even know who that is...
You & me both, but I read some of the lyrics and think I'm ok with being out of touch.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 23:17   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. Believe it or not, we're the 5th owners.
She's clearly an innovative, well thought out boat, and it's great she's found a good home.

To people with smaller boats, and of more old-fashioned design, she probably does look like too much of a handful for them. What they say is a product of ignorance, and possibly, in some cases, jealousy. Ignore it. You have what suits you and Jenny and Baxter. Sounds like a "full house" to me!

As is happens, in our change to this boat from our first Insatiable, there were no increases in winching loads: the lower displacement meant that I could still crank in the genny. People who don't get it, think the mast is too tall.

People on the outside just don't know what you have.

Ann
Old 13-10-2017, 23:25   #74

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Yup, ditto for me. And as TJ attests, the dark blue hull doesn't help trying to hide the scratches! But in a counterintuitive way, the size & heft of my boat usually helps here too in that it makes docking more forgiving. The boat seems more resistant to effects from wind & current, and everything seems to happen more slowly. And I've somehow adapted to all the prop walk since it's so pronounced and predictable. In fact, it's often easier to back into a slip given how quickly the stern will turn to port in reverse. But in the early days it was definitely a show for those on the dock, and all was well only if there were no big yard bills & nobody DIED.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 23:29   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
She's clearly an innovative, well thought out boat, and it's great she's found a good home.

To people with smaller boats, and of more old-fashioned design, she probably does look like too much of a handful for them. What they say is a product of ignorance, and possibly, in some cases, jealousy. Ignore it. You have what suits you and Jenny and Baxter. Sounds like a "full house" to me!

As is happens, in our change to this boat from our first Insatiable, there were no increases in winching loads: the lower displacement meant that I could still crank in the genny. People who don't get it, think the mast is too tall.

People on the outside just don't know what you have.

Ann
Yes, the displacement thing is widely overlooked. The steel boat that RS replaced would be almost universally accepted as a 'proper blue water crusing boat for a couple'. It weighed nearly 8 tons more than Rocket Science, despite being 12 feet shorter!

Spot on about the winch loads.

But, at least our mast is pretty short, so people think that it's an undersized rig, until they see the roach in the main and the bowsprit deployed- Then, not so much.

Tags
boat