Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2020, 22:30   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Moving a boat from CA to WA and sales tax

We recently moved our boat from CA to WA. We plan to stay longer than 60 days and looks like we need to register the boat for WA, which is fine.

However, according to this page, we need to provide proof that we paid sales tax on the boat:

Quote:
Proof you paid sales tax on the boat.
If you don't have proof that you paid sales tax when you purchased it, you'll be required to pay use tax.
Problem is, I bought the boat 7+ years ago in CA and don't have the receipt for the tax I paid at DMV. All I have is the pink slip that shows the purchase date from that date. Would this be sufficient? It would be crazy to pay a sales tax again.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:04   #2
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Moving a boat from CA to WA and sales tax

Any thoughts on this?
Old 18-06-2020, 08:26   #3

Would seem as if the California DMV would be able to supply you with evidence that you paid the tax when you registered it. That would be the easiest and most straightforward approach.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:29   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Would seem as if the California DMV would be able to supply you with evidence that you paid the tax when you registered it.
+1, you beat me to it.

Might be worth a $2 investment to see what you get with a CA DMV vehicle record request. The formal (not online) request ($5) includes owner, previous owner(s), registration dates, etc. I don't know if either one includes fees and/or taxes paid. Otherwise a call to CA DMV since they require the same proof at the time of initial registration.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:39   #5
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
+1, you beat me to it.

Might be worth a $2 investment to see what you get with a CA DMV vehicle record request. The formal (not online) request ($5) includes owner, previous owner(s), registration dates, etc. I don't know if either one includes fees and/or taxes paid. Otherwise a call to CA DMV since they require the same proof at the time of initial registration.
Thank you, this is great info. I tried the online vehicle record but doesn't look like it supports boats, I cannot enter my CF number (form doesn't allow it).

I will try the form.
Old 18-06-2020, 08:40   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

If not available from DMV, try the Ca Franchise Tax Board. They are the ones who actually receive the sales tax.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:53   #7

Boat: Oyster 435

Welcome to Washington State. Good news is that you won't be required to pay Sales Tax. That said, Washington may require you to pay "Use Tax" which, amazingly enough is the same rate as sales tax based on the current value of your boat.
If it was me I would simply call the county tax assessors office in a less populous county of Washington State. Klickitat or Skamania would be good choices. They answer the phone and will answer your questions.
I suspect they will wave you through based on having a California pink slip but it’s easy to find out.
Good luck,
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:19   #8

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
I suspect they will wave you through based on having a California pink slip but it’s easy to find out.
Good luck,
Almost surely this. If you have a California registration document, that essentiall proves you paid taxes in California, since you cant get a registration without it.

As long as the tax rate in WA is equal to or lower than it is in CA, that is all the proof you need.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:39   #9

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

How is anyone going to prove your boat didn’t leave inside 60 days?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:59   #10

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

If your plan is to stay in WA no more than 180 days, you may get a permit from WA DOL to stay that long. About $35/ 60 days beyond the first 60.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 17:50   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the vessel is going to stay in WA, after you have your WA registration, you will be able to de-register your boat from the CA tax rolls. Failure to do that will leave you liable for fees in both States. Don't worry about it if the boat is returning to CA .

Ann
Old 18-06-2020, 18:22   #12

Documented vessels also must be registered in Washington but are not required to display the registration number.

Is / was the boat documented with the USCG, or was it instead titled with the State of California?

Did you pay sales tax as part of the purchase pricing at closing [to the dealer] or did you pay use tax after the purchase from a private seller?

In California, you must report your purchase of a vessel subject to use tax. In general, use tax applies to purchases of vessels for use in this state when an amount for sales tax is not paid to a California dealer. This includes purchases from out-of-state sellers, private parties, or California dealers when delivery of the vessel is taken out of state. Unless an exemption or exclusion applies, you must pay use tax on your vessel purchase. How you report your purchase and pay the use tax on your vessel purchase depends on whether the vessel is a "documented vessel" or an "undocumented vessel."

Documented Vessel
The term "documented vessel" means a vessel which is required to be documented with the United States Coast Guard (USCG) and for which the USCG has issued a valid marine certificate. As a general matter, a vessel is required to be documented with the USCG if:

It will be used in international waters (outside the 3-mile limit); or
The vessel is a commercial vessel of at least 5 net tons displacement (typically 28.5' in length).
Pleasure vessels meeting the above size requirement may be documented at the owner's option.

If you owe use tax on your purchase of a documented vessel, you must pay the use tax directly to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration / CDTFA (see Link here: https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/industry/ve...de.htm#Vessels
Look for heading below, Reporting the Use Tax on Documented Vessels).

Undocumented Vessel
A vessel which is not required to be documented with the USCG, and which does not have a valid marine certificate issued by the USCG, is an undocumented vessel. Undocumented vessels are generally required to be registered with the DMV. If you owe use tax on your purchase of an undocumented vessel, you generally must pay the use tax to the DMV when you register the vessel (see heading below, Reporting the Use Tax on Purchases of Undocumented Vessels).
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 19:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Almost surely this. If you have a California registration document, that essentiall proves you paid taxes in California, since you cant get a registration without it.

As long as the tax rate in WA is equal to or lower than it is in CA, that is all the proof you need.
Not entirely true. You can, indeed get CA registration without paying sales or use tax. Buy a boat and keep it out of CA for 6/12 months (depends on when you bought it) and you get to register it in CA without paying the tax. (I did that)

You have to pay a reg fee which depends on boat value, but that is NOT a sales/use tax.

Bottom line, you likely need the paperwork showing sales/use tax paid.
Old 18-06-2020, 19:08   #14

PS:

Frequently, states usually assess sales/use tax on imported vessels based not on the sales price, but on the current fair market value. For an older vessel, this may be low enough to be a non-issue.
Old 18-06-2020, 20:17   #15
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If the vessel is going to stay in WA, after you have your WA registration, you will be able to de-register your boat from the CA tax rolls. Failure to do that will leave you liable for fees in both States. Don't worry about it if the boat is returning to CA .

Ann
Ok, I didn't know this. How do you do that?

Tags
boat, sale