Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 17:46   #31

Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...location=group

Update to S/V Vagant !!!!!!!, My dad fell overboard on 21th Nov (53 15’W 15N), Apparently he is drifting on lifebuoy. Any boat in area please keep eye open!!!!
According to that FB post, the boat with the mother on board was found. She might provide some useful information - however, definitely more than 2 maybe 6 days passed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Post #15 in this thread. Typo?
I hope it is...
Old 26-11-2017, 17:47   #32

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
We all have to die somewhere and some time. How reasonable is that?
Yes death is perfectly reasonable, shortening the time we have to live with careless decisions is not reasonable.

The only thing why in average we today live till over 74 is because after 60 we have quality medic care frequently in what regards preventive (surveyance) and active care.

The average of male life expectancy on US is about 77 years, now, but in 1930 it was about 60. The difference is due mostly to medic care.

If you go circumnavigating around the world on all those beautiful and godforsaken places you will have no more quality preventive and active medic care so if you have 74 and do that what do you think that will happen to your life time expectancy?

Do you reach 78 (the age that sailor would have when he finished his circumnavigation) on those conditions? Statistically it would be very improbable even if it can happen but the odds will be much much lower than if you have proper medical care.

I guess that if you think that death is not reasonable you will agree that life is precious, so it is reasonable to take actions that almost for sure are going to shorten it, probably drastically?
Old 26-11-2017, 17:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
According to that FB post, the boat with the mother on board was found. She might provide some useful information - however, definitely more than 2 days passed now.
At least that went well and she is safe. For his husband, if he went overboard 5 days ago, I don't think there is any hope to find him alive.
Old 26-11-2017, 17:59   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes death is perfectly reasonable, shortening the time with have to live with careless decisions is not reasonable.

The only thing why in average we today live till over 74 is because after 60 we have quality medic care frequently in what regards preventive (surveyance) and active care.

The average of male life expectancy on US is about 77 years, now, but in 1930 was about 60. The difference is due mostly to medic care.

If you go circumnavigating around the world on all those beautiful and godforsaken places you will have no more quality preventive and active medic care so if you have 74 and do that what do you think that will happen to your life time expectancy?

Do you reach 78 (the age that sailor would have when he finished his circumnavigation) on those conditions? Statistically it would be very improbable even if it can happen but the odds will be much much lower than if you have proper medical care.

I guess that if you think that death is not reasonable you will agree that life is precious, so it is reasonable to take actions that almost for sure are going to shorten it, probably drastically?
with due respect for your opinion, Polux, as an actively cruising 79 year old man from America, I say that this is nonsense.

Some folks need interventional medical treatments to prolong their lives, sometimes beginning in early years. Others do not. Consider Chichester, diagnosed with lung cancer prior to departing on his epic circumnavigation. He completed the voyage, and lived on to undertake others. The literature is full of voyages completed by elders, some far more arduous than a tradewinds circumnavigation at a leisurely pace.

Considering that you know absolutely nothing about this chap other than his age and that he apparently fell off his boat, I think your criticism of his decision to go sailing is unwarranted. Plenty of younger sailors have died after falling overboard!

Jim
Old 26-11-2017, 17:59   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Yes death is perfectly reasonable, shortening the time we have to live with careless decisions is not reasonable.

The average of male life expectancy on US is about 77 years, now, but in 1930 it was about 60. The difference is due mostly to medic care.

polux do you really think this is the time and place to have this conversation? The young lady whom I'm sure is reading these posts just likely lost one of her parents.
Seriously this is not cool .
Old 26-11-2017, 18:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
polux do you really think this is the time and place to have this conversation? The young lady whom I'm sure is reading these posts just likely lost one of her parents.
I don't think she is reading (why should he?) and probably if she is reading she would probably agree with me, but ok, I will post no more on this thread.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:12   #37

Quote:
At least that went well and she is safe. For his husband, if he went overboard 5 days ago, I don't think there is any hope to find him alive.
I used to track diving accidents but can't recall any diver who has been rescued more than 3 days adrift. However, miracles do happen sometimes, sun might help him to warm up a bit, and an occasional rain might ease his thirst.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

This has echos of the young couple sailing to Hawaii a couple of years back where he went over the side and all she could do was watch him disappear into the dusk..
She did not know how to stop or turn the boat around..
Train your crew in MOB proceedures when under sail or motor.. how to heave to.. start the engine and how to drive the boat.. how to furl or drop a headsail and also how to run a search pattern.
You Know it Makes Sense..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:26   #39

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
agree!

IMO, there is never a time to criticize life choices made by others.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:45   #40

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
agree!

IMO, there is never a time to criticize life choices made by others.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:52   #41

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:

Their lives, their boat, their choice. Personally I would rather die trying to accomplish something challenging than sit in a cage of boredom awaiting my medically delayed departure.
Old 26-11-2017, 19:02   #42

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Jimmy Buffett Lyrics
"Growing Older But Not Up"

I rounded first never thought of the worst
As I studied the shortstop's position
Then crack went my leg like the shell of an egg
Someone call a decent physician
I'm no Pete Rose, I can't pretend
While my mind is quite flexible
these brittle bones don't bend

[Chorus:]
I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
So let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Sometimes I see me as an old manatee
Heading south as the waters grow colder
He tries to steer clear of the hum drum so near
It cuts prop scars deep in his shoulders
That's how it flows right to the end
His body's still flexible but that
Barnacle brain don't bend

[Chorus]

So now don't get me wrong
This is not a sad song
Just events that I have happened to witness
And time takes it's toll as we head for the poll
And no one dies from physical fitness
That's how it goes, right to the end
As the days grow more complicated the night life still wins

[Chorus]

Let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead
Old 26-11-2017, 19:46   #43

Life is different for all of us...some people grow up in a small town and never leave, they die a few blocks from where they were born. Everyone has a different idea of what a real adventure is..for some it's taking a vacation to Rome and for others it's climbing Mount Everest. All of us have different risk tolerances and sailing in of itself is really not that risky but like flying your personal aircraft while it's not inherently dangerous it sure is extremely unforgiving of screw ups. If this individual has perished and odds are he probably has when you look at his history he just may have had more great life experiences than 10 average men living close to a hospital. Life is for living, not existing. I'm into my 70's like many others here and still cross oceans so there is nothing special about me, if you keep yourself in decent shape there is no reason you can't keep at it.
Polux I don't agree that people are living longer because of modern medical intervention, sure there is some truth to your thoughts but generally people who are out sailing later in life are simply much healthier overall.
Old 26-11-2017, 19:57   #44

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This has echos of the young couple sailing to Hawaii a couple of years back where he went over the side and all she could do was watch him disappear into the dusk..
She did not know how to stop or turn the boat around..
Train your crew in MOB proceedures when under sail or motor.. how to heave to.. start the engine and how to drive the boat.. how to furl or drop a headsail and also how to run a search pattern.
You Know it Makes Sense..
Your right of course. I was discussing this with the crew this morning. The problem is showing someone once or twice isn't enough, repetition is the master of skill. I fail in this area.
Going to make an effort when I leave here to get crew more competent in this area, my life may depend on it.
Old 26-11-2017, 19:59   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Life is different for all of us...some people grow up in a small town and never leave, they die a few blocks from where they were born. Everyone has a different idea of what a real adventure is..for some it's taking a vacation to Rome and for others it's climbing Mount Everest. All of us have different risk tolerances and sailing in of itself is really not that risky but like flying your personal aircraft while it's not inherently dangerous it sure is extremely unforgiving of screw ups. If this individual has perished and odds are he probably has when you look at his history he just may have had more great life experiences than 10 average men living close to a hospital. Life is for living, not existing. I'm into my 70's like many others here and still cross oceans so there is nothing special about me, if you keep yourself in decent shape there is no reason you can't keep at it.
Polux I don't agree that people are living longer because of modern medical intervention, sure there is some truth to your thoughts but generally people who are out sailing later in life are simply much healthier overall.
[emoji106]
Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic crossing, Barbados, family, yacht