Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 18:38   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Micro Budget Cruisers in Action

one doesnt need money to LIVE
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 19:31   #32

Ru still in bimini? Not very good holding in there, not much room either. The trip to nassau is pretty protected fom seas.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:38   #33

Boat: Columbia Mk2 26

The holding here is pretty terrible really, But i think we have figured it out. We have been here for so long because i was awaiting a package... Well it got lost... A good thing about being here, we met a fellow boater who sailed the Mississippi from Wisconsin Single handed. This Monday feb, 27th Team Survivor, and The lady Lime will be leaving Bimini heading towards the top of Andros Island.

Is there any good anchorages on the NW Side of Andros? The Explorer charts do not have any charts in the books about this area.
HoboTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:59   #34

You're STILL in Bimini? Get outta there! Head for the Exumas until the Cold NE winds subside some...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 15:28   #35

Boat: not worth mentioning

There are good anchorages to the west of Saddleback and South Cay in 15 to 20 feet with fair protection from the N through SE. The reefs along the east to southeast of Andros are not high and won't protect you much if the wind & seas get up past 35 or so. You will still be limited in how much farther you can go west, as it gets very shallow with many shifting sand bores. By playing the tides, you should be able to explore up the inside of the reef, but it is quite narrow in places, rocky and lots of coral heads in the Kemps Bay area.

Do watch the weather, you don't want to get stuck there with a strong anything from the east -- a long lee shore and no way to quickly get to deep water. Plus, lots of fetch from the Tongue. Not much out there.

Green Cay to the Exumas is easy. Anchoring to the W/NW is probably your best bet (I'd rate holding as fair to good) if winds are from the E/SE, but I didn't like the looks of the anchoring on the east side. Get the Explorer charts if you don't already have them and you won't have a problem. There are uncharted coral heads, more so as you get south, but if you stay in the known channels and keep your watch alert, you'll be fine. I wouldn't do it at night.

By the way, if you have Navionics charts on your plotter, don't trust them! They are often, very wrong! Really, chart your progress on paper.

By the way, if you get to Little Farmers, do check out the Little Farmer's "Yacht Club" (so to speak). Roosevelt Nixon (yeah, what a name) is the proprietor. Very nice fellow, he'll work hard to make you happy and has some great fishing stories. He's got good mooring balls close to the cut in case you want to make an early dash to Exuma Sound. Lots of surge through the cut, and only fair holding, so we took a ball. Otherwise, there's good anchoring on the NW side of Little Farmers (just not in front of the air strip).

Hope this helps.

ID

I stole this from the above poster, hope this helps . Don't forget to ue the search (icon) with it you can find past forums etc.
Have fun
Wayne
Old Soul Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 03:56   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Little Farmer's Cay...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Farmers Cay-Exumas.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	38034  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25   #37

Thanks For everyones Help! Well This week has been full of sailing. We left Bimini, Headed for the North West side of Andros for one night. Onward to The NW Channel anchorage, over to Chub, and Finally down to Nassau. We arrived here (Nassau) this morning. The winds Were from the South East, But wanted to get here asap due to the approaching front coming in. The trip was about 15 hours, and we help about 4.5 Knots. Right Now we are hanging out at "The Green Parrot" using there free WiFi. So far the trip has gone on for 6 weeks. Survivor is anchored out on the west end of the bridge, across from what appears to be the "Atlantis" Hotel. In the last few weeks i've been getting a real good feel for the boat, and how to balance her under sail. Most of the time now we don't even use the auto pilot, just lash the till and Survivor does the rest. Its a great feeling knowing how to sail the boat. haha. We've been getting brave to. Sailing in and out of ports, and on and off anchorages. In a few days after the weather passes, we will be headed to the Exumas! So far the two week Total sending has right around 150, for me (Need a beer once in a while haha), half of gas and water, and fuses for the boat.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50   #38

Might as well show my face around these parts.

Tags
budget