Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 13:55   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Made an Offer on boat!

Well, after a long time of dreaming and studying I have finally made an offer on a sailboat. It is an Ericsson 31 and after the survey and sea trial, if it is all good...it's mine. If the survey results or the sea trial are not to my liking, I can get outta the deal. So, it is a process and I am excited about it as it is bigger than the last sailboat i owned (a West Whight Potter 14). It has a new diesel engine in it (a Universal 20hp...only 60 hours) and although it is an old boat (1977), If the survey shows water damage, etc., I can just walk away. I did an initial eyeball and followed the suggestions from this forum. The decks seemed firm but what do I know. There was no bad smell, no mold I could see, etc. The engine was clean, the lockers were also. There was some water in the bilge, there were some seacocks/thru hulls i could see needed to be replaced. I'm sure the survey will uncover lots of surprises.

But if it pans out...I think it will be a good boat to get me and my wife out on the Chesapeake THIS SEASON and start learning and developing our skills and eventually take it southward.
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 14:02   #2

Boat: 1982 Hughes Columbia 8.7
Re: Made an Offer on boat!

Great boat, been watching it awhile. You beat me to it, was going to drive down from Canada to have a look next week. You saved me a road trip. Good luck and enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Julian55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 17:10   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Made an Offer on boat!

Good deal, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
BTW, is there any chance that it's not too late to send out samples of the engine oil & transmission fluid for analysis, as part of the survey? I know of a place in IN which often has a 2-3 day turn around time, & you just mail or ship them a few oz. of each. It can tell you a LOT about the health of things.
I showed it to my Dad, & he's HOOKED on it, & has done all of his vehicles. LMK if you need a POC & info.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer